Roland SRV-2000 vs. SRV-330?
Old 27th November 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Roland SRV-2000 vs. SRV-330?

Looking for a pretty decent 'verb on the cheap for vocals primarily.
Any preferences between these two?
Pulled my e-bay punch on a SRV-2000 BTW, because e-cue was
bidding on it! (figured he may need it more than me)
Goal is just to make nice "artist demos" not release level material,
so tweakability is not paramount.

Thanks
Chris
Old 27th November 2002
Lives for gear

SRV 2000 is really great for drums . . I would not think about it too much for vocals.
Old 27th November 2002
One with big hooves

What kind of reverb do you want? The 2000 is grainy and great for drums, the 330 is much cleaner and more hi-fi. Personally I'd look into a TC M2000. Nice verbs and a lot more. They aren't too expensive either.
Old 27th November 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Thanks guys.
The TC M2000 seems to sell between $500 to $600 used.
Most likely then, a SRV-330 will be the pick then, although an
Audio Upgrades modded Lexicon LXP-1 crossed my mind too.
If and when it's warranted, I'll check out the TC unit down the road.

Chris
Old 27th November 2002
Lives for gear

Why don't you check out the new TC M300? It looks cool for the price.
Old 27th November 2002
One with big hooves

I used to have an LXP-1. It was ok, nothing great. Probably a little bit better then a Midiverb 4. Mine was stock and I've heard good things about the upgraded ones but still. $500 isn't a ton of money for a reverb that sounds good to great (depending on the source) and that you'll still use in 5-10 years. Especially when you consider that the best stuff still starts around $1500 for a used box like a PCM-90 or EMT 140.
Old 27th November 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Roland SRV-2000 vs. SRV-330?

Quote:
Originally posted by chessparov
Looking for a pretty decent 'verb on the cheap for vocals primarily.
Any preferences between these two?
Pulled my e-bay punch on a SRV-2000 BTW, because e-cue was
bidding on it! (figured he may need it more than me)
Goal is just to make nice "artist demos" not release level material,
so tweakability is not paramount.

Thanks
Chris
So YOU were the one that outbid me... (jk)... I already own a SRV-2000. It's one of my drum verbs. I've not had super results using it on vocals. The 330 is more up the vocal alley. The 001 setting (3-D Spread?, oh, I foget...) is really great on vocals. It also has many more tweakables (although most of the presets are very nice with many a tweek to the pre delays). I'd recomend either one as a good long term purchase, but the 330 is filed under my vocal catogory.
Old 27th November 2002
Gear addict

If you're ebaying for Lexicon, you're probably better off looking for the LXP-15, version 2 software if you can get it. It's at a bit of a higher standard to start with, kind of the equivalent in its day to what the MPX-1 is in Lexicon's lower rung now. The Audio Upgrades mods will probably get you much further from this starting point. I have a stock one and can't complain for what I paid. I haven't checked out the Roland boxes, though, so I don't know how they compare.

Bear
Old 27th November 2002
Lives for gear

Yup. What everyone else said. I have both and the 2000 is great for drums and percussion. I even use it for those times when you need way too much 'verb like some Eastern music where the lead instrument is drenched.

The 330 is really nice, very underrated. I got mine cheap when Roland discontinued.
Old 27th November 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Thanks again everybody.
I think a reasonable move then is to consider getting BOTH the SRV-330
and an upgradable Lexicon. My understanding is that the Lexicon Alex
is comparable in sound quality to the LXP-15 BTW.
That way there would be two different flavors, and I tend to use two
boxes anyway when mixing down.
e-cue, the one I held off on was the SRV-2000, someone else got it anyway.
I wound up not getting the SRV-330 either as I was outbid in the last few
minutes.

Chris
Old 27th November 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Sorry, meant that the Lexicon REFLEX is rather comparable to the LXP-15.
Old 28th November 2002
One with big hooves

I'd say they're similar. I used to own a Reflex. It wasn't that bad but adjusting anything was a pain. After two years I still needed to grab the manual to figure out the cryptic readings on the front panel. The LXP-15II isn't bad either and has a much better user interface IMHO.
Old 28th November 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Good information!
Everybody have a great Thanksgiving.

Chris
Old 2nd December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Just a postscript...
Ended up getting a Roland SRV-3030 that someone bought at a dealer
liquidation sale that's still sealed (new) in the box for $200.
Supposed to be getting it before the end of the week.

Read some old postings on it at recaudio.pro by Mike Rivers and some guy
named... Jay Kahrs. So between both of you giving your blessings on it
I figured it had to be pretty good/similar to the SRV-330.
Will let you know how I like it.

Thanks again,
Chris
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

nice score. They got any more for sale?
I got room in my "verb rack" I'm itchin' to fill.
Old 2nd December 2002
The 330 and 3030 are 2 different beasts altogether. Even though the 3030 has digital inputs(and it came out after), the 330 is thicker,fuller and blends better in the mix. Its like the difference between the Sony R7 and Sony DPS-V77(same algorhithms different sound). The R7 is a better sounding reverb unit than DPS-V77, hands down.

The 330 has become a popular must have in Nashville(because of Chuck Ainlay). He uses it as one of his main reverb pieces(along with the EMT250,TCm6000 and other things). It has really nice ambiences for drums and strings. I think the value of the 330 will go up over time on the used market.

If you are looking for value in reverbs, there are a lot of good used units out there. Some of my favorites are:

1)Roland R880
2)Sony R7
3)Klark Technic 760
4)Yamaha Rev 1
5)AKG reverb
6)Dynacord reverb
6)Yamaha SPX990
7)Yamaha R3
8)EMT 252

All can be found under a $1000. World class units in their day.

I happen to own all the units(and a bunch of other junk as well).

So i can vouch for their usefulness in the mixes. You will find them in the racks of the top guys. The unsung heroes of reverb.

Peace.
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by David R.
The 330 is really nice, very underrated. I got mine cheap when Roland discontinued.
I bought mine when the newer version came out and love it.
Old 2nd December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

That was the last of the Mohicans e-cue.
Since it's for learning purposes rather than earning, the SRV-3030 should
hold me for now. Later I'll probably pick up the SRV-330 in addition.

Chris
Old 3rd December 2002
Gear maniac

srv330 is a very nice piece especially considering it's price on the 2nd hand market now. i use mine on drums all the time...using emt plate program or small room program. the plate programs are pretty nice. also, the 3 bands full parametric eqs are powerful in shaping the tone of the reverb. of course, it can't compare with stuff like m6000 or 960. but considering the cost of getting one used, it is a very good deal indeed.
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

I really should get a 2nd unit... For all practical purposes, I could superglue the one I have to the 3-D Spread setting.
Old 4th December 2002
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
The 330 and 3030 are 2 different beasts altogether. Even though the 3030 has digital inputs(and it came out after), the 330 is thicker,fuller and blends better in the mix. Its like the difference between the Sony R7 and Sony DPS-V77(same algorhithms different sound). The R7 is a better sounding reverb unit than DPS-V77, hands down.
Yeah, the R7 is pretty sweet, not a great GUI though. I scored one a few months ago for $289 when it was mis-tagged at GC (should've been $500grggt) and it sounded great. But, it wasn't ment to be. The LCD was all ****ed up and turned black after it had been on for an hour. Still, that thing sounded great and was built like a tank.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

The D7, M7, R7, and V7 lines all sound pretty damn good, but documentation was a total beyatch. The MARBLE PLATE on the M7 was a stock for my mixes for a while.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Yea the Sony R7 sounds great. There is a drum program in there that I really like. As well as some good vocal verbs . . . If you can score one for $500 . . . you really should! I have one here as well as an M7. The problem I hear is . . . . Sony doesn't make the DSP chips anymore so you are screwed if it goes out . . . . which I think mine has on the R7. I hope not as I would miss it.
Old 4th December 2002
I have a pair of each:R7,M7,D7 and one F7.

They get almost as hot as the old roland units. You got to leave at least a space and half in betwwen each.

Jay it sounds like yours needs a new battery. They go after a while. To change it is a B*tch!!! Buit it can be done. You'll have to glue/tape it to the top.

$500 for an R7?

Wow, I've never payed more than $250-$350 for any of the units.

By the way, does anyone know of someone selling a remote for these units?

I've been trying to hunt one down for the longest, with no avail.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

what about the ensoniq dp4? any good?
Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

Yes, but I suggest the DP4+... MUCH less noisey, which is a must if you plan on using this as a ballad reverb at some point.
Old 5th December 2002
One with big hooves

I'd say it's good. The times that I've worked with Stanley Jordan he plugged his guitar into a DP4 (maybe a 4+, I've never paid attention) and then I take a pair of DI's from that. Listen to his live record, that's the tone and it's swimming in verb which sounds good to me. Not the guitar sound I want for myself but it works great for him.
Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

must be a 4+... You'll only notice a small "+" next to the 4 on the front, but the sonic difference is like... Well, the regular 4 you'll try ground lifts, transformers, di's and the like wondering where the noise is comming from. Spend the extra $100. It's not a "cool" kind of noise.

my .99227897 yen
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

Just got a SRV-330. Where can I find that "3D Spread" setting that everyone mentions for vocals? Can´t find it in the manual either. Preset 001 on mine is 140 plate.

Anyone?
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenerlov View Post
Just got a SRV-330. Where can I find that "3D Spread" setting that everyone mentions for vocals? Can´t find it in the manual either. Preset 001 on mine is 140 plate.

Anyone?
Good question. Me either!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search