Fireface 800 routing question
media marcus
26th November 2007
Old 26th November 2007
Gear interested

Fireface 800 routing question

To all Fireface owners:

I'm loving the Fireface so far, but I have one issue...

I'm trying to use the onboard preamps on channel 7/8 in conjunction with line inputs on 7/8 on the back of the unit. I have them set to use both inputs simultaneously and I'm getting signal coming in from both inputs just fine.

My question is if it's possible to route them somehow so that I can select the onboard preamp on channel 7 and the rear input on channel 7 to show up independently in Logic 8 for routing to 2 separate tracks. (same for ch 8) From my understanding the default routing is set to combine the two sources when used simultaneously.

Is it possible to route them separately in Totalmix?...

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys.
Led
26th November 2007
Old 26th November 2007
Led
Lives for gear

Short answer...no. Long answer....no you can't, as you've seen you can either combine both front and rear or select rear only or front only. Id you want more inputs you need anotherFF or another converter hooked up via ADAT lightpipe. YOu may be able to get another pair via SPDIF but I haven't tried that and you'll still need another converter.
Cheers.
SRS
26th November 2007
Old 26th November 2007
SRS
Lives for gear

I did some checking on this too, as I have a FF800. I think as well that it is not possible unless you connect another pre to the adat lightpipe connector. You must have a crazy config going on there. I have a lot going on with mine and still have a lot of unused ports. I do however have another 8 channel pre connected via adat to the FF800, which frees up a lot for some flexible configurations.
media marcus
26th November 2007
Old 26th November 2007
Gear interested

I appreciate the replies guys. It's not that my setup is crazy it's just that I am doing a live session and am using about 12 inputs at once (4 on front, 8 line ins on rear) -- and unfortunately at this time I don't have my Onyx 800r ADAT pres. I kinda figured there wasn't going to be a routing solution, but I was just hoping (until I get my 800r) that there would be a work around. Guess I'll have to wait.

It's kinda suprising that RME wouldn't create a fix for this, be it built in or a routing option in total mix. Maybe firmware update?? (if that is even possible). I'm sure I'm not the only one who has run into this issue.

Anyway thanks all.
26th November 2007
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

I thought you could route them separately until I needed both inputs one night, I was not happy but it does say that this is the case in the manual unfortunately. I love my FF800, I am getting a Presonus Digimax FS next month to fix these issues. I think that you can hook up 2 Digimax FS's or 800r's through ADAT as long as you are running 44.1. RME rocks...
cam
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by media marcus View Post
I appreciate the replies guys. It's not that my setup is crazy it's just that I am doing a live session and am using about 12 inputs at once (4 on front, 8 line ins on rear) -- and unfortunately at this time I don't have my Onyx 800r ADAT pres. I kinda figured there wasn't going to be a routing solution, but I was just hoping (until I get my 800r) that there would be a work around. Guess I'll have to wait.

It's kinda suprising that RME wouldn't create a fix for this, be it built in or a routing option in total mix. Maybe firmware update?? (if that is even possible). I'm sure I'm not the only one who has run into this issue.

Anyway thanks all.
This is not something that could be "fixed" in software. The two inputs, the front and back, feed the same ADC. That converter feeds a digital signal to the TotalMix software. To achieve what you want there would have to be an additional set of converters for 7-8 and 9-10.
The hard ware just won't support it.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear
I also have a secondary 8 ch preamp adat to the FF. If you must use that many channels, maybe you could use an outboard mixer and submix say, the drums to a stereo pair on the FF.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search