motu 828
New Reply
Subscribe
woods
18th May 2004
Old 18th May 2004
Gear addict

motu 828

If a person were to use the 828 strictly for format conversion from firewire to SPDIF - would the audio quality be adversely affected in any way?

woods
LTA
18th May 2004
Old 18th May 2004
LTA
Gear addict

No adverse effects. As long as the 828 isn't glitching that is.
woods
18th May 2004
Old 18th May 2004
Gear addict

What do you mean by glitching? Do you mean as long as the 828 is working correctly? Or something to do with jitter?

Also, I just want to use the 828 to get stereo material out of the computer via firewire and into a Cranesong Hedd. But I read that firewire may be inferior to a pci interface. Is this true? And/or may it be inferior only if trying to move many channels of audio through it at once?

woods
LTA
18th May 2004
Old 18th May 2004
LTA
Gear addict

I had a defective 828. It would click on occasion. Got it replaced, and it was fine after that. Click = digital glitch. They show up as tall full sample lines on a waveform. Can't miss them with your eyes OR your ears. So, give it a listen. If it sounds fine, it is as fine as it ever will be.

I'd used the spdif ins and outs for years back in the system 9 (mac) days, mostly going in and out of a dat player digitally. This was the orginal 828, btw. Once i got the initial problem worked out, I never had any problems related to the 828's digital i/o.

I've heard the firewire to pci argument before too. If it works, it works. You won't get 48 tracks out of a single firewire400 interface though.
woods
20th May 2004
Old 20th May 2004
Gear addict

Can anybody shead some light on a comparison of the RME multiface and the Motu 828mkII?

I need to make a purchase tomorrow.!

Woods
20th May 2004
Old 20th May 2004
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to entropy
sonically... they pretty damn close, the rme may just edge it.

compatibility with OS= Mac..MOTU, XP...RME

these are not hard and fast but a general rule of thumb.

the thing swung it for me was the MOTU had a volume knob on the front.

Federal Audio. Australian distributor of ADAM Audio, Maag Audio, Lindell Audio, Bettermaker, AwTAC, Miktek , Placid Audio, Ardán Audio, Mothmic and explorAudio.

Website
Tumblr Blog
20th May 2004
Old 20th May 2004
Gear addict

It's my understanding that the new HDSP cards have the mixer engine embedded in the hardware so they're supposed to boast extremely low latency times.

I was shopping for an ADAT interface a few weeks back and was considering either a MOTU 2408 or the RME HDSP-9652.

The Multiface has the same implementation as the other RME PCI card, so technically it should be a hair faster than the MOTU and possibly a little more stable on the PC.

Unfortunately, I can't speak of real-world performance. Things here have changed so I'm not in the market for one of these at the moment. I wouldn't even bother chiming in except I've seen this come up a few times this week and no one has mentioned the hardware mix engine thing...

ryan
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search