Does anyone know about Timeline Lynx??????
Old 7th November 2007
Gear interested

Does anyone know about Timeline Lynx??????

Hey, can anyone tell me what the main difference is between the Timeline Lynx and the Lynx 2?

thanks!
Old 7th November 2007
jhg
Lives for gear

Use?

What do you need to use it for? Lynx2 did much more...
Old 7th November 2007
Gear interested

I just need to stripe smpte on tape and sync a studer a827 to protools. So far I have only found a lynx 2 for sale.
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Golly, that's a long time ago! I think the Lynx 2 was the half-rack one...there's also the Adams Smith Zeta III out there. Both were a little cryptic to use with LED only-type readouts - not even really readouts, but combinations of winking lights to tell you what was goin' on. The MicroLynx was much more user frendly (if you can call ANY synchroniser "friendly) as it had an actual menu system with a display. I went through MANY power supplies with the ones I had.

Quote:
I just need to stripe smpte on tape and sync a studer a827 to protools. So far I have only found a lynx 2 for sale
That'll do the trick. Hope it's cheap and comes with the right cables! If you're only going to transfer once from 2" to Protools and then move on, why bother syncing? If you have to go back and forth, then yeah, you'll need it.

Seeing as most studios rarely fire up their 2" anymore and lot's are going belly-up, you should be able to find plenty of synchronisers on the auction block.
Old 8th November 2007
Gear addict

You could use a Digi SYNCI I/O for striping and syncing.
The tape machine will be the master and ProTools will be the slave.

The Lynx2 is worth every penny and you'll need one for each tape machine in a multi-machine set-up. They are half rack mount units.

In our facility we use two Lynx2's (one for each tape machine) and the SYNC I/O for ProTools, but for what you are doing (one tape machine and ProTools) a SYNC I/O is all you'll need.
Old 8th November 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebiscayne View Post
Hey, can anyone tell me what the main difference is between the Timeline Lynx and the Lynx 2?

thanks!
Hey blue, there's an old thread called "sync to blackburst vs. sync to wordclock" that goes fairly deep into the stripe/lockup issue. There's more than meets the eye, and you should check it out.

I wouldn't goof around with a Lynx I. Get the Lynx II. The A827 ballistics are more stable, but you may need to use the A820 ballistics depending on serial/parallel and other needs.

Ron Allaire, Skyline
Old 8th November 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzie View Post
Hey blue, there's an old thread called "sync to blackburst vs. sync to wordclock" that goes fairly deep into the stripe/lockup issue. There's more than meets the eye, and you should check it out.

I wouldn't goof around with a Lynx I. Get the Lynx II. The A827 ballistics are more stable, but you may need to use the A820 ballistics depending on serial/parallel and other needs.

Ron Allaire, Skyline
Agreed. DAW should always be the master. I've had excellent luck with my original Lynx's, but I was using MCI tape machines and JVC video decks. I'd say get either - whichever has the correct cabling for the machines you need to use. That will be the difficult part - getting the complex and often customised cables sourced.
Old 8th November 2007
Gear interested

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 17th February 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzie View Post

Ron Allaire, Skyline
which is the diference selecting serial or parallel ?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search