Buzz Audio Tonic EQ: WOW! My Little Review w/ Pics
New Reply
Subscribe
gm5k
1st November 2007
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

Buzz Audio Tonic EQ: WOW! My Little Review w/ Pics

Disclaimer: This is hardly a real review. In hindsight I shouldn't have called it one. It's just some pics with opinions. Take it for what it's worth. Thanks.

Hey guys. Nathan at Atlas has been kind enough to let me demo a Buzz Audio Tonic for a little while and I am taking full advantage of it!

This is one spectacular EQ. I'd describe it as an overall clean-ish EQ(however would be selling this EQ short to say it has no special vibe or attitude, it DOES, I don't know how Tim does it) with amazing punch, clarity, presence and versatility. I highly recommend to all 500 freaks to try out this EQ if you can. I've got tons of pics. I'm a big fan of guts, so if you have a weak stomach i suggest you look away

The Front.

Let the drooling commence. Ooooohhh look you can see one of the real chokes!

More guts.

Yet even more guts.

Chillin in the rack. Yes I know I need to screw in these units

EM-PEQ, meet Tonic. I need you guys to put your differences aside so we can all make something beautiful together.

Lows- Tight, focused, round, tough, punchy. I'm afraid the lowend is going to sucker punch me and knock me out w/ it's iron fist. Just KILLED on kick drum.

Mids-Buttery smooth. Very easy to rid yourself of annoying frequencies you might encounter. Lovely to boost as well, extremely difficult to boost any midrange frequency too much to where it becomes annoying. Just comes down to personal aesthetic.

The x10 feature is extremely useful in many ways. For example, if your midrange is already doing fine, and maybe you're more focused on the highs of your source, you can really shape the sound of the highs because you can(using the x10 feature) basically have two high bands in one EQ(likewise you basically have two low bands in one EQ having the mid band switch on x1 instead of x10) If you have the mid band switch on x1, you have a lows/low mids focused band sweepable from 75Hz all the way to 1.5K. With the mid band switch on x10, you have a more high mids/highs focused band sweepable from 750Hz all the way to 15K! So im sure you can imagine a ton of possibilities with this EQ.

Both the lowend and mids remind of the lows and mids on the Elixir preamp if you're familiar with it. Same tightness in the lowend, and the same smooth musical naturalness/not very forward sound of the mids.

Highs-Personally my favorite part about this EQ. So clear and shimmery, glistening. I've never enjoyed boosting the highend on any EQ as much as I have with the Tonic. I got an amazing shimmery acoustic guitar sound boosting at 11k, and one that i enjoyed even more at 15k(boosting as much as 15 DB and it sounded awesome the whole way) using the x10 feature on the mid band(this feature is just so damn COOL) It's the acoustic shimmer that im always looking for, and the Tonic just does it perfectly for me. Also lovely for giving nice click to a kick drum, crispness/life to a hihat, and airiness/breathiness(i know its not a word) to vocals.

Also must say, the frequency selections on the high and the low bands(5K/11K and 60Hz/120Hz respectively) are IMO extremely useful and very appropriate for many sources. Never felt like I was yearning for more options frequency wise.

I've tried several nice 500 series EQ's, but if i had to own one and one only, it would be the Tonic. I can't imagine how much two of these beauties would rule on a full mix. I think the Tonic is an absolute steal when considering the features and superb sonic quality.

Thanks Nathan and of course Tim! Congratulations on this fine product

"i have extra money and i have two chances, the first is ****ing strippers women, in an incredible party, and the other is get a lachapell preamp... " -a gearslut
1st November 2007
Old 1st November 2007
500 series nutjob

Send a message via Skype™ to pan60

cool!!!!!!!
thanks gm5k
very nice, i love the BUZZ gear i have tried!
1st November 2007
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the review. Now, if only you had a Purple ODD to compare. I'm looking at both and for me, it'll come down to which is more of a departure from the Toft EQ (which I have some of).
1st November 2007
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

Man I hate reading reviews. All the same terminology is the same so it just makes everything seem the same (ie; The EQ is punchy? I read that about the PEQ. And the API 550. So they all sound the same, right?). Sigh.

No fault of yours, of course.

But maybe you could make sound sample comparisons between the PEQ and the Tonic? Boosts and cuts in similar areas or something along those lines?
gm5k
1st November 2007
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Man I hate reading reviews. All the same terminology is the same so it just makes everything seem the same (ie; The EQ is punchy? I read that about the PEQ. And the API 550. So they all sound the same, right?). Sigh.
when i say punchy im talking about the lowend for the most part. i know how you feel, but a review is a review. you'll read similar terminology even in professional gear magazines. as most people say, its usually best for you to try gear your interested in out for yourself.

what would you like me to say about the lowend? if it could manifest itself into some kind of matter, it would be a stonewall. possibly a boxer's glassjaw

Quote:

But maybe you could make sound sample comparisons between the PEQ and the Tonic? Boosts and cuts in similar areas or something along those lines?
on this site? with all the people waiting to pounce on people's samples to make themselves feel better? you've got to be kidding me i dont like to diss one product on a forum to make another seem better, but I will say IMO the Tonic was on par sonically w/ the EM-PEQ on every test.
1st November 2007
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post
as most people say, its usually best for you to try gear your interested in out for yourself.
That was my point on the sound samples. Actually hearing a difference is different than hearing what somebody thinks it sounds like.
1st November 2007
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

Do you feel like it easier or more difficult to get a good sound happening with the Tonic compared to the EM-PEQ? I'm wondering about ergonomics. Some gear you need to fuss with a bit, you know?

thanks,
Brad

How to integrate your analog tape deck with your DAW:
http://youtu.be/bswx5zrFRl0
http://youtu.be/W-II32AvVd8
gm5k
1st November 2007
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
That was my point on the sound samples. Actually hearing a difference is different than hearing what somebody thinks it sounds like.
well Lugo's gonna have this EQ in his big shootout. maybe he'll do sound files and you'll get your wish. i still suggest you try the EQ out yourself
gm5k
1st November 2007
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Do you feel like it easier or more difficult to get a good sound happening with the Tonic compared to the EM-PEQ? I'm wondering about ergonomics. Some gear you need to fuss with a bit, you know?

thanks,
Brad
honestly, i found them both very easy to get a sound i liked with. i know what you're talking about with fussing with EQ's. would not be the case with either IMO. sorry if thats not the answer you're looking for, but id say they both make my EQ'ing life pretty easy! maybe you could be a bit more specific? i just feel like the only answer i can give to that question is a vague one because they both work so quickly for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender3 View Post
Does it sound good even if you use it to take mids out? Did you try that?
YES. worked wonderfully for getting rid of an annoying mid frequency(or at least it was by my estimation) on an acoustic guitar recording. took off about 2DB around 1K or so and it was magic
1st November 2007
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
well Lugo's gonna have this EQ in his big shootout. maybe he'll do sound files and you'll get your wish. i still suggest you try the EQ out yourself
Some day when I have a lot of money...

Or the 500 Swap continues...
1st November 2007
Old 1st November 2007
Gear addict

Well said Chris,

It does seem that all the new 500 EQ's coming out are, "punchy" "shimmery" etc. which IS a great thing! (right?) with all the manufacturers building such killer sounding units, I'm more interested in features at this point. but the 500 series is space & voltage limited. the TONIC does seem to be well designed and built. but, the features(to me) seem to be lacking when compared to the API 550b & 560. just one sweepable mid doesnt bring alot of options to the table.

I think it's awesome to have alot of choices and variations in the 500 series. but, when it comes to to boost and cut.... I'd like to have as many freq's available as possible. especially in that price range. I'd like to see BUZZ (and, others)offer more EQ's such as graphics and 3,4 band parametrics. API has dominated long enough!!!! ..... just being a greedy slut!!! -klauth.
gm5k
1st November 2007
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauth View Post
just one sweepable mid doesnt bring alot of options to the table.
i find the EQ to be extremely flexible and versatile. i talked about the x10 feature in my initial post. there are a lot of options frequency wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post

cool!!!!!!!
thanks gm5k

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAVD View Post
Thanks for the review.
you're welcome. thanks for the thanks
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
its usually best for you to try gear your interested in out for yourself.
exactly
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:

you would not get a sample in a rag, i do not post sample as
1) i do not know your room.
2) i do knot now you speaker or amps
3) i do not know what it is you are looking for!!

only you can judge which tool you need, or just how useful, the tool will be

most all dealers ( that is if you develop a relationship ), will allow for returns.
reviews simply offer, a look into the reviewers mind, at some point, you will know, if joe whoever likes something, odds are you will not, or likewise you will.

Quote:
its usually best for you to try gear your interested in out for yourself.
i hope that offers some insight to what i feel a review is for.

Pan60 Facebook Page

Pan's Facebook
BLAST PAD Inventor just one invention among others.
A CHARTER MEMBER OF THE 500 FORMAT, MAFIA

it is easy to sound as though one was endowed with great intelligence, whilst speaking amongst a crowd of total morons
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
i find the EQ to be extremely flexible and versatile. i talked about the x10 feature in my initial post. there are a lot of options frequency wise.

you're welcome. thanks for the thanks
no you're welcome, and thanks for the thanks
thank you
gm5k
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007
Lives for gear

pan60 makes good points here. also important to note its difficult for me to have as in depth of a report on the Tonic as some of you would like as ive only been able to use it for a few hours. hopefully i can use it more tomorrow before i send it off to Lugo and add a bit to my initial post.

any specific things people would like me to try it on?
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007

i think the way to have better reviews is to force ppl at gun point to say what box X is good on and why it was better than what they used before... it kills on snare drum because i was able to add some air, take out some bad ringing, put a point on the drum, take away the sm57-ness of it.. whatever.

kind of like its common to see ppl post about using neve modules on kick/snare and API on the rest of the kit...

punchy, etc is completely meaningless....

also what DOESNT it rock on? i just got it and love and it rocks on EVERYTHING.. again, meaningless.

seewhutimean, vern?
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007

Quote:
pan60 makes good points here. also important to note its difficult for me to have as in depth of a report on the Tonic as some of you would like as ive only been able to use it for a few hours. hopefully i can use it more tomorrow before i send it off to Lugo and add a bit to my initial post.

any specific things people would like me to try it on?
this is the problem...

"i just got a new toy and its GREAT on everything.. i have a hammer and everything i see is a nail..."

again.. you're getting excited and not really telling us anything other than "i have a new toy and i love it.."

try it on EVERYTHING and come back in a month or two.. dont stop until you find things it CANT do that some other box can. find the limits of the system.

and dont take this personally.. we're all guilty of new-toy-itis and we always like pix.. this isnt a slag against you alone... just the whole gearslutz mentality in general.
gm5k
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
this is the problem...

"i just got a new toy and its GREAT on everything.. i have a hammer and everything i see is a nail..."

again.. you're getting excited and not really telling us anything other than "i have a new toy and i love it.."

try it on EVERYTHING and come back in a month or two.. dont stop until you find things it CANT do that some other box can. find the limits of the system.

and dont take this personally.. we're all guilty of new-toy-itis and we always like pix.. this isnt a slag against you alone... just the whole gearslutz mentality in general.
i understand what you're saying but you have to take it for what it is. i let people know this is a short demo period Nathan is letting me use the tonic for. im not telling people i know the EQ inside and out. if you dont care about what someone whos only used an EQ for a little while thinks, then you dont have to read the thread. not talking about you or anyone in particular, just a thought.

this is a public forum and no one is paying for reviews. im sure there are some that will appreciate the pics and a couple of opinions. i make no claims to being a professional reviewer that works for a magazine. like i said, people need to take things for what they are.

dont necessarily agree with the whole new toy thing either. i do understand what you're saying, but ive gotten to compare it for a decent while now(been using it for a while today too) with an EQ in the EM-PEQ that i have had for a while and am VERY familiar with. i would know pretty quickly as to whether or not it stacks up. im not just excited over a new toy, trust me

dont worry im not taking it as a slag, but im constantly reminded in this thread why im not posting my shootout.

man, do i regret using the word punchy in that first post at least i didnt say mojo, right?
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007

With designers hat on...

Thanks gm5k for the enthusiastic response to your initial listening of the Tonic. As far as features go, agreed it's not a four band parametric EQ, but then again it costs less than the plus US$1000 competing products that are - and it's all discrete, transformer coupled, and with real chokes as the filters. The unit was designed based entirely on what some people on this forum asked for, a fairly simple tone shaper, and I believe it meets this criteria and more.

And now with moderators hat on...
For those here who find gm5k's review "meaningless", I would consider this. He has had it only a few hours, he has plugged it in, run some tracks thru it, and so far he likes what he hears and has tried to describe that as best he can. That to my mind is of SOME value, even if to say "it's not crap". He has not been paid to say anything, he has not purchased the unit, we did not ask him to post here, we offered that he try it because he has purchased other Buzz stuff (at street prices) in the past.

I think criticizing gm5k's review is a little off, this is Gearslutz after all and we ARE allowed to get excited about GEAR! If you don't like it, then go hang out somewhere else, it's not fair on gm5k to run him into the ground.

Thanks
Tim.

Visit Buzz Audio - Facebook

Last edited by Tim Farrant; 2nd November 2007 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: typos
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
this is the problem...

this would be nice, but, gear in for review.
i would not have the time to set aside, not just for the purpose of trying a pre, or a eq on every source.
i just do not have the time, not to mention who would pay for it?
Tim isn't going to be giving away gear to get reviews, ( i am not aware of any boutique manufactures that do ), and if he did, i am not sure you would get him to pay for the time over and above the cost of the said unit.
a magazine may be able to justify this, but then again, they are getting revenue from advertising and circulation.
i don't!
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007
500 series nutjob

P.S.
i have no plans to derail this post as it would be very inappropriate, but i will say!
mikymikymike, you do not know me well enough to call me or refer to me in the context in-which you have.
do not!!!!!!!
P.M. me again!
pan60
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
[COLOR="Red"][B]

I think criticizing gm5k's review is a little off, this is Gearslutz after all and we ARE allowed to get excited about GEAR! If you don't like it, then go hang out somewhere else, it's not fair on gm5k to run him into the ground.

Thanks
Tim.

2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007

Quote:
this would be nice, but, gear in for review.
i would not have the time to set aside, not just for the purpose of trying a pre, or a eq on every source. i just do not have the time, not to mention who would pay for it?
Tim isn't going to be giving away gear to get reviews, ( i am not aware of any boutique manufactures that do ), and if he did, i am not sure you would get him to pay for the time over and above the cost of the said unit.
a magazine may be able to justify this, but then again, they are getting revenue from advertising and circulation.
i don't!
well.. you either take your craft seriously or you do not. you either get it right or you do not.

do you want to get it right or add to the noise?

i dont care 2 shits about money or time. never have, never wiil. this is about THE CRAFT of recording and making the best records possible.

p.s. i put the "at gun point" part in the original post for a reason.. so jokers would not take it seriously...
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
you would have been better off saying nothing.. i'm sure this attitude just cost you sales.

in the future you should seriously rethink this policy and stay out of the fray.
gm5k
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007
Lives for gear

it will be nice to see the response that people have to the Tonic at James Lugo's shootout. im sure that it is going to be overwhelmingly positive. i thank you all for your time. i am OUT
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
well.. you either take your craft seriously or you do not. you either get it right or you do not.
1) any one who has ever read a review i have done know all to well just how seriously i do take my craft and the time i put into a review.

Quote:
do you want to get it right or add to the noise?
if you feel it is noise then why would you! add to it?

Quote:
i dont care 2 shits about money or time. never have, never wiil. this is about THE CRAFT of recording and making the best records possible.
then feel free, you can do some reviews, cool!!!!!!

Quote:
p.s. i put the "at gun point" part in the original post for a reason.. so jokers would not take it seriously...
i seldom take anything serious short of a two year old trying to stir trouble.

my reply was simple
manufactures generally do not allow the time with a given piece of gear to try it on every possible source.
as well, i do not, and seldom do others, purchase gear just for the sake of a review.
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007

Quote:
i seldom take anything serious short of a two year old trying to stir trouble.

my reply was simple manufactures generally do not allow the time with a given piece of gear to try it on every possible source. as well, i do not, and seldom do others, purchase gear just for the sake of a review.
large gap between "every possible" and "a" source.

the thing to do is to combine 2 mediums.. do a session with said piece and include real world experience into reviews. kill 2 birds with one stone.

angry mob doesnt scare me... if you dont think you can adequately review a piece in the time/budget you're given don't take the job.

what could be simpler? your mind gets confused because you combine MONEY with THE CRAFT. but, really, the 2 have nothing to do with each other.

and if you think this is trouble.....
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
and if you think this is trouble.....
now your are getting a bit out of line i feel?
your just being funny.
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007

Quote:
now your are getting a bit out of line i feel?
your just being funny.
i'm entirely "just being funny."

if you think that anything that anyone says on an audio forum constitutes "trouble".. the humor of this should be self evident.

but its fun to see y'all get bent out of shape about it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search