Pacifica Question
New Reply
Subscribe
R'shonn
31st October 2007
Old 31st October 2007
Gear maniac

Pacifica Question

I bought a pacifica a couple of weeks ago and I'm wondering if its just me but it seems as if the output level of the pacifica is extremely hot. with the output knobs turned all the way down the levels are pretty hot still. And yes I have used the -20db pad button but, the color of the preamp changes and I would like to take advantage of both sounds. also I'm recording into delta 1010 w/bla mod.

thanks
31st October 2007
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R'shonn View Post
I bought a pacifica a couple of weeks ago and I'm wondering if its just me but it seems as if the output level of the pacifica is extremely hot. with the output knobs turned all the way down the levels are pretty hot still. And yes I have used the -20db pad button but, the color of the preamp changes and I would like to take advantage of both sounds. also I'm recording into delta 1010 w/bla mod.

thanks
Well, I've never heard the Pacifica ( heard great things about it tho), but as with most good pres, most of the soundcards, lower end gear, has a problem handling the hot outputs. Just as my Presonus LT have a problem accepting the output of my OSAs, Purple pres. The output pots helps. I hear you on the pad tho.. I don't like using them either.....Might have to get an in-line pad, or an ATTY. Good luck!.........BTW.. Check and see does your Delta 1010 have a input switch that lets you choose between -10 and +4. ( most cards/devices do). IF so, select +4....
31st October 2007
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

Yes the output level of the Pacifica is very hot. The input transformer is a 1:10 step up transformer so you are getting 20dB's of gain right there. I would bet that the opamp is putting out another 6dB with the controls all the way down. Pair that up with a modern condenser mic and you'll likely have levels that clip your converters. I hear you on the pad tone change. What I do is have a pair of Shure inline attenuators plugged into the output of the unit. I set the attenuation for 15dB's and that usually knocks the levels down to something more reasonable.

It sure would be handy if the preamp had an output gain knob huh? I guess that's where an ATTY would come in handy.

Brad

How to integrate your analog tape deck with your DAW:
http://youtu.be/bswx5zrFRl0
http://youtu.be/W-II32AvVd8
31st October 2007
Old 31st October 2007
Gear addict

I was wondering about this myself. I dont have any clipping, but it would be nice to have more of a range before it really started pushing the meters. My 1272 isnt near as hot as this.

31st October 2007
Old 31st October 2007
Gear maniac

I use the ATTY2'D with my Pacifica and BAE 312a.
It mounts in the rack, and is like having output faders.
I can then choose to use the pad or not on the Pacifica.
It works great.
R'shonn
31st October 2007
Old 31st October 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
Well, I've never heard the Pacifica ( heard great things about it tho), but as with most good pres, most of the soundcards, lower end gear, has a problem handling the hot outputs. Just as my Presonus LT have a problem accepting the output of my OSAs, Purple pres. The output pots helps. I hear you on the pad tho.. I don't like using them either.....Might have to get an in-line pad, or an ATTY. Good luck!.........BTW.. Check and see does your Delta 1010 have a input switch that lets you choose between -10 and +4. ( most cards/devices do). IF so, select +4....
I have the 1010 set to line level +4...but yeah I wasn't if that was a potentially defective unit...the mic im using it with now is mostly the peluso 22 251.
31st October 2007
Old 31st October 2007
Gear interested

I am not familiar with the Delta 1010, but I did just look it up to get some info. It seems to have pres built in via the XLR plugs. Are you going from the Pacifica to the XLR inputs of the 1010? If so, you may be going from pre to pre.
1st November 2007
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator M View Post
I am not familiar with the Delta 1010, but I did just look it up to get some info. It seems to have pres built in via the XLR plugs. Are you going from the Pacifica to the XLR inputs of the 1010? If so, you may be going from pre to pre.
Hey..if this is so...good call!...thumbsup
1st November 2007
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

Location: Farmingville (NOT FarmVille or Farmingdale!) Long Island
My Studio

This is my only small gripe w/ the pacifica. Its only been an issue once for me (and not really a big issue). . . I want to pick up an ATTY now. . . .

Hey Gator! Nice to see you on GS!
1st November 2007
Old 1st November 2007
Gear addict

Well I use a layla 24 which doesnt have pres and it is still uber-hot, especailly compared to my other pre's.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search