Barefoot MM27 in COSMOS STUDIOS!
New Reply
Subscribe
delcosmos
29th October 2007
Old 29th October 2007

Barefoot MM27 in COSMOS STUDIOS!

Hi Gearslutz,

Last week I received a pair of Barefoor MM27 that waited in the Basement of my studio till I finished 3 projects with very tight dead lines.

I wanted to mix the last song of those projects with the Barefoots, I know this is a very risky decision with a new set of monitors but hey, I don't have time!!!

My current set consists in a pair of SA3a with sub10, a pair of NS10 and a big Quested speakers with a big sub.

I installed the MM27s, and the first thing I noticed was their weight, oh my god they weight a lot!! Also, their construction is amazing, built like a tank but at the same time the design is so beautiful.

I decided to begin a mix on them because that is the best way to judge a studio monitors.

I've been using my S3a for almost 4 years and I know them very well, so after I started with the MM27, the first thing I noticed and LOVED was how accurate they are on the "low end" department, wow, this is something I always complained about my adams, because IMHO S3a with a sub are a little bit confusing on the low end, there's a hole between the sub and the speakers, also the barefoots gave me a good reference on the very high freq. spectrum, something that definitely S3a doesn't have.
It was very easy for me to sit my kick and bass on my mix without a problem, also, since the low freq. were not masking or covering the mids and hi freq's it was very easy to find a good place for my vocals, the levels between subs, lows, mids and hi's are perfect.
So I finished my mix and after some listenings in my car and my boombox I send it to the label without surprises, the mix was exactly as I mixed it at my place. C'mon! this was my first time with those speakers and I was able to deliver a mix that translate really well to other systems!!!

A very important thing... I experienced NO ear fatigue after listening on them for almost 12 hours at high and low levels s.

Great job Barefoot

Definitely I'm gonna buy the Barefoots, they worth every cent, I also gonna keep my Adams because: (1) I know them really well and (2) I love the mids on my S3a, they are perfect for eq'ing electric guitars.

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
29th October 2007
Old 29th October 2007
Lives for gear

+1
I am so happy with MM27....
29th October 2007
Old 29th October 2007
Gear maniac

Hi Delcosmos,

So you think that Barefoots are worth every cent. It is good to know coming from a gearslut like yourself. I just wanted to know your opinion on barefoot as mains? Have they covered your needs for main monitoring?Tenx.
29th October 2007
Old 29th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
Definitely I'm gonna buy the Barefoots, they worth every cent, I also gonna keep my Adams because: (1) I know them really well and (2) I love the mids on my S3a, they are perfect for eq'ing electric guitars.
Well I give it a month to see ADAMs going away ;-)

I can understand what you are describing with the bass (without sub), though I'd suggest 2 subs and trying harder with placement, it should integrate. But it may be impossible to do in your room /w places you have avail.

What I can't understand is your comment on highs that's one of the strong parts of my S3A. There is certain part of music, that appears harsh through them, but there is a part that's "perfect" and I had no problems with too soft [translated] HF in my mixes during the years.

Enjoy your new monitors! thumbsup
29th October 2007
Old 29th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Yep!

I got rid of mine the same week! But then again, I had a buyer lined up!
29th October 2007
Old 29th October 2007
Lives for gear

Nah, you'll just find that all you need is a pair of A7s. For me the MM27s paired with the A7s are the perfect match. The one weak area for the 27s is judging what's going on in the 2.5-4k range IMO and the ribbon tweeter of the A7 covers this perfectly. I've found that once that area is happening on both, I'm set. Of course the 27s have every other area of the freq spectrum covered for sure!!!!
29th October 2007
Old 29th October 2007
Gear maniac

Damn, everytime I forget about these speakers a post like this comes up
I'm so curious to hear them, but afraid I won't let them go once I hear them

Drew, I noticed the new picture with the barefoots and the d-command on your website, looking good
delcosmos
29th October 2007
Old 29th October 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioS View Post
Hi Delcosmos,
I just wanted to know your opinion on barefoot as mains? Have they covered your needs for main monitoring?Tenx.
Hi SergioS,
Well yes, if you mean Mains as Big loud monitor, no, I'm gonna keep my Big quested for a really loud listenings.
Said that MM27 absolutely cover my needs for near field monitoring because I think of them as a big "high resolution TV monitor" where you can see with great detail everything and make adjustments on your mix.

Best regards.

Armando Avila.
29th October 2007
Old 29th October 2007
Lives for gear

i know someone who has a pair.... all i can say is I am jealous.
29th October 2007
Old 29th October 2007
Lives for gear

Hi Armando, a little bit off topic (sorry) but are you re-doing your website? It's been down for a few days. That'd be awesome beacuse of all the new great equipment.
29th October 2007
Old 29th October 2007
Lives for gear

Glad you're happy Armando.

Thomas
29th October 2007
Old 29th October 2007
Gear Guru

You think the 27's are bad ass,wait till you guys see and hear the new Mini Mains.

Thomas ,I'll see you tommorrow night!
29th October 2007
Old 29th October 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to David-Morpheus Send a message via Skype™ to David-Morpheus
Quote:
Hi SergioS,
Well yes, they absolutely cover my needs for main monitoring because I think of them as a big "high resolution TV monitor" where you can see with great detail everything and make adjustments on your mix.

Best regards.

Armando Avila.
Hi Armando,

I am in the process of designign my new studio, it will be a new build from scratch and I was thinking of either flush mounting some mains or getting the barefoots (the room will be cca 5x7 meters). If we talk about costs the barefoots are the clear winner, but as I see from your review soundwise it's the same.

So generaly speaking would you get rid of your mains now with the barefoots ?

david
delcosmos
29th October 2007
Old 29th October 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheuzrecords View Post
Hi Armando,

I am in the process of designign my new studio, it will be a new build from scratch and I was thinking of either flush mounting some mains or getting the barefoots (the room will be cca 5x7 meters). If we talk about costs the barefoots are the clear winner, but as I see from your review soundwise it's the same.

So generaly speaking would you get rid of your mains now with the barefoots ?

david
Hi David, I already edited that statement because I misunderstood what he means as "Mains" (My English is pretty basic!!).
In regard to your question, well definitely I'm gonna keep using my Big Quested as "Mains" because MM27 are loud but not "That" loud.

Best regards.

Armando Avila.
delcosmos
29th October 2007
Old 29th October 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
You think the 27's are bad ass,wait till you guys see and hear the new Mini Mains.

Thomas ,I'll see you tommorrow night!
Yes, I heard them at AES, they sound amazing and loud, but I don't know if they are louder than my Quested, for the moment I'm happy with my MM27 and my Quested Combo.

Best regards.

Armando.
delcosmos
29th October 2007
Old 29th October 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
Glad you're happy Armando.

Thomas
Thomas you scored a big hit with this speakers, congratulations.

Best regards.

Armando.

Please excuse me for my english!!
delcosmos
29th October 2007
Old 29th October 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz View Post
Hi Armando, a little bit off topic (sorry) but are you re-doing your website? It's been down for a few days. That'd be awesome beacuse of all the new great equipment.
Hi Oroz, well I don't know what's happening with the web site but honestly I'm not interested in showing my stuff since I'm not a comercial facility, the people that I'm interested knows everything about my stuff, but I'm gonna check it up.'

Best regards.

Armando Avila.

P.S. I'll call you soon...
delcosmos
30th October 2007
Old 30th October 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
What I can't understand is your comment on highs that's one of the strong parts of my S3A. There is certain part of music, that appears harsh through them, but there is a part that's "perfect" and I had no problems with too soft [translated] HF in my mixes during the years.
What I mean is that the frequency range on the MM27 is higher than the S3a, also I find the ribbon tweeter of the ADAM to be very directional, so it's very easy to go out of the sweet spot, but don't get me wrong, the ADAMs are great monitors, this is why I want to keep them, they give me another representation of my mix. What I'm gonna take out are my NS10s, I don't need them with this combo. (For the moment because they always come back).

Best regards.

Armando Avila
30th October 2007
Old 30th October 2007
Lives for gear

I heard the Barefoot MM27 for the first time last night at a friends studio and they were not what I had expected.
They were so much better than I'd thought they could be- I am an ns-10 user and was amazed at how these were like an extended version with the boxiness removed- the detail and seperation was beyond anything I've heard on top of a console.
Could instantly tell that I could mix on the Barefoot and am sold on the concept BUT- for me it will be a while before I get them as I'm about to be building a new room that is going to suck up the budget, gutted!!
Got any need to have them showcased in a nice new studio in the UK Thomas? Send me a set and I'll demo them whenever you like!
30th October 2007
Old 30th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilE View Post
Got any need to have them showcased in a nice new studio in the UK Thomas? Send me a set and I'll demo them whenever you like!
Damn, I can't even keep a set around here for myself! I'm like the cobbler's son who runs around the neighborhood........ well........... barefoot.
30th October 2007
Old 30th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
Welcome to the MM27 Club! they are Fantastic!
30th October 2007
Old 30th October 2007
Lives for gear

Barefoots

You guys are really getting me excited! I ordered a pair last week after hearing them down in Nashville at VK's new place. They were much more than expected even after all the hype here at GS.

So, Delcosmos, are you set up vertical or horizontal? Mike Nehra said he prefers vertical with a slight angle downward. I have grown use to horizontal after using the Dyn M1's for years.

I just wish someone would buy my PMC's I have listed in the classifieds...

Jeff

GroupDIY 51x Racks
30th October 2007
Old 30th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
Damn, I can't even keep a set around here for myself! I'm like the cobbler's son who runs around the neighborhood........ well........... barefoot.
GREAT - so thats a yes then?

I'm sure I can trade for something amazing- in fact actually I really might be able to offer you something hugely useful to a small but growing company such as yourselves... joking about free monitors aside PM me if you would like to know more about this idea that just popped into my head! Seriously.

P.
delcosmos
31st October 2007
Old 31st October 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin-gear View Post
So, Delcosmos, are you set up vertical or horizontal? Mike Nehra said he prefers vertical with a slight angle downward. I have grown use to horizontal after using the Dyn M1's for years.

I just wish someone would buy my PMC's I have listed in the classifieds...

Jeff
I'm using them Vertical.

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
31st October 2007
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm using them Vertical.
Best regards.

Delcosmos.
What an awesome picture!
31st October 2007
Old 31st October 2007
Gear maniac

Id love to hear those.
31st October 2007
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

Isn't that ADAM sub a bit close to the mix position? I'm just wondering if you're in a null, effectively, of that sub being so off-axis to it. I might slide it back to be of equal distance as the monitors it's supplementing and work out the phase etc from there.

Also the barefoots are going to have the "wider soundstage" effect by virtue of them being, well, wider in that arrangement. Placement is nearly everything.
delcosmos
31st October 2007
Old 31st October 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Isn't that ADAM sub a bit close to the mix position? I'm just wondering if you're in a null, effectively, of that sub being so off-axis to it. I might slide it back to be of equal distance as the monitors it's supplementing and work out the phase etc from there.

Also the barefoots are going to have the "wider soundstage" effect by virtue of them being, well, wider in that arrangement. Placement is nearly everything.
Actually that sub is in the way out (that is why is there), because I have decided to say goodbye to my S3A's.

The wide placement of the Barefoot is because if you can see, under my Duality there's a keyboard controller that I take out when I'm programing so I have to sit back, also the computer monitor have an arm in order to move it closer to me.
That is why the Barefoots are that wide, in the end it's a perfect triangle. There's no "Wider effect", simply, the Barefoot Killed the poor S3A, that's it, and I am SO lucky to have the oportunity to own both and make any kind of comparisons.

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
31st October 2007
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

Wow so ADAM has been ejected from paradise (and with that wall'o'gear, that most certainly is paradise).

I oughtta see if I can get some Barefeet in here and compare them with my own S3A+sub...
delcosmos
31st October 2007
Old 31st October 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Wow so ADAM has been ejected from paradise (and with that wall'o'gear, that most certainly is paradise).
No, they are not rejected at all, I found that there's no need to keep both systems.
I'm gonna put a pair on my home studio, I'm also making a new studio in my original building and the S3a would fit perfectly there too.

Best regards and good luck with your testings.

Delcosmos.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search