THE HAMMER!!!!!!!!!!
New Reply
Subscribe
pan60
29th November 2007
Old 29th November 2007
500 series nutjob

Send a message via Skype™ to pan60
my HAMMER is going to be pulling some two buss duty for a bit ~ wow i love this thing!!!!!!!!!!

Pan60 Facebook Page

Pan's Facebook
BLAST PAD Inventor just one invention among others.
A CHARTER MEMBER OF THE 500 FORMAT, MAFIA

it is easy to sound as though one was endowed with great intelligence, whilst speaking amongst a crowd of total morons
t_d
29th November 2007
Old 29th November 2007
t_d
Lives for gear

i've got a Hammer and 5500 en route to me from Vintage King right now... testing them both out for 2-bus duty..... sadly, will have to send one back.....

but, happily, one stays!

looking for: simplicity
pan60
29th November 2007
Old 29th November 2007
500 series nutjob

awesome let us know your thoughts!

sadly i have to send back gear i want to keep but sometimes that the way it goes:(~
my C.C. stays way to loaded my wife is great though she grumbles a bit we manage~
29th November 2007
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Animus
I almost made the plunge for a Hammer after reading all the rave reviews. But I got a pretty good deal on a second-hand Massive Passive and I am very pleased. I love it. But I still wonder how I would have liked the Hammer though.
29th November 2007
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I almost made the plunge for a Hammer after reading all the rave reviews. But I got a pretty good deal on a second-hand Massive Passive and I am very pleased. I love it. But I still wonder how I would have liked the Hammer though.
The massive is much more versatile/adjustable than the Hammer. If you got a good deal on the Massive, then you probably made the right decision. The Hammer is much more broad.

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn." --Gore Vidal
"The best sounding sluttiest gear of all time... is a great song" --Greg Wells
"Life is too important to be taken Seriously." --Oscar Wilde
"We have Art so that we may not die of Reality." --Friedrich Nietzsche
30th November 2007
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
i've got a Hammer and 5500 en route to me from Vintage King right now... testing them both out for 2-bus duty..... sadly, will have to send one back.....

but, happily, one stays!
so which one are you keeping???????
t_d
30th November 2007
Old 30th November 2007
t_d
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak7 View Post
so which one are you keeping???????
that's the $64,000 question now, isn't it! (well, $2300 question).... they arrive tomorrow... so i haven't laid my eyes, hands, or ears on either of them.

my music is not typical to these boards.. it's avant garde/ambient/experimental.. not rock or pop.. so i'm looking for something good for minimal and spacious music (in general)...

the Hammer, on paper/word of mouth, seems to fit the bill... but the API is in my budget and apparently a great piece as well..

i'll report back!
30th November 2007
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post

Look people--there's a lot of people on this forum that have agendas, opinions, and likes/dislikes different from our own. So if a particular piece of gear intrigues you, then give it a shot in your own room and if you dig it then come here and tell us why you thought it was cool. If you didn't dig it then please come here and tell us why you didn't like it. The GS firing squad will probably shoot you down no matter what your opinion is, but there is always someone out there that will find intelligent and honest commentary useful. I know I always do.

Brad
Hey Brad

I listened to your test on the other thread and really appreciate people who post sound instead of just talking. Very helpful when new gear comes out.

I think more than anything, some people can be real stubborn around here. I certainly am sometimes. Sometimes they wont even actually read everything you wrote and completely miss your point---without reading what you actually said, they give a point for point rebuttal . haha.

It helps to realize that not everyone you help will post a reply so it may seem boos are louder than cheers. But I honestly believe that if we could hear the persons voice and tone, instead of reading it, we would find most people are not as combative as we think. For instance, Im from NY, and we have a certain "matter of fact" way of talking and joking, and it doesnt translate well to text.
30th November 2007
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks man! I appreciate the comment and kind words.

I'll continue doing my thing and sharing what I believe is helpful to others.

Brad

How to integrate your analog tape deck with your DAW:
http://youtu.be/bswx5zrFRl0
http://youtu.be/W-II32AvVd8
pan60
30th November 2007
Old 30th November 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
It helps to realize that not everyone you help will post a reply so it may seem boos are louder than cheers.
sad but true :(~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
But I honestly believe that if we could hear the persons voice and tone, instead of reading it, we would find most people are not as combative as we think. For instance, Im from NY, and we have a certain "matter of fact" way of talking and joking, and it doesnt translate well to text.
this sometimes happens to me and i am sure is has happened to all of the post here or anywhere for that matter.

i try to stay positive, it makes me feel better at the end of the day ~
30th November 2007
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
sad but true :(~

this sometimes happens to me and i am sure is has happened to all of the post here or anywhere for that matter.

i try to stay positive, it makes me feel better at the end of the day ~
I wish I could all the time. But Just the other day someone reponded to a post of mine that didnt try to hurt anyone personally and the guy acted like I killed his family..saying how arrogant and childish I was being. So I called him a bitch about 15 times. hahaha. No restraint

I guess I could have used more tact in the first post, but as I said, text is tough sometimes because you cant always tell the actual tone the person is using. I got to work on that.
30th November 2007
Old 30th November 2007

You rock Absolute!
30th November 2007
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

What's great about the internet is you can pretty much ignore people that are negative or non-value added. It works for me. I usually don't respond to people that are just trying to cause trouble.

I wish more people here would use their real names and not hide behind anonymous screen names. Even the big names--I dont' really care how many platinum records someone has if they can't be cordial, respectful, and construct complete sentences to convey their thoughts. I really enjoyed it when Bruce Sweiden was a guest moderator and he wouldn't respond to anyone how posted using a screen name or didn't reveal their actual identity in their post. I wouldn't mind that being a rule for a Gearslutz acount. Would certainly make this a much more professional atmosphere. I know everytime I make a post I am conscience that my real name is being used and I wouldn't want to say anything that would reflect badly upon who I am as a human being or a studio owner.

Anyway...enough of my rant.

Brad
pan60
30th November 2007
Old 30th November 2007
500 series nutjob

even if some one was to use their real name you would still have to get to know them in order for their post to have any meaning, that is unless you just go goo goo for a name.
also i feel for some, particularly when some ****** wants to trash someone, and they are hiding for the purpose of being a assss, but come on, it is just not that hard to figure out what these guys are up to.
their are very good reasons as to why some one may choose to keep some degree of privacy in their life.
their are some that simply do not want attention drawn in their direction, maybe they want to be a nobody and the forum is the only place they can.
i have had people track me down, call my house, and i just am not willing to do that any more in my life.
i am a recluse, a hermit, and most of the people within a stones throw of me, do not and will not ever know me.
those that do know me, know me as pan, or pan60.
i am pan60, and it is not that difficult for someone to get to know me as pan60 ~
thats who i am!
just my thoughts, i can see both sides:(~
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
Lives for gear

I can respect the point of view. I just think it's weird. My point was that people would be more inclined to treat others more respectfully if their real reputations were on the line...not thier virtual ones.

Here's a place a client informed me of that people of might be interested in exploring if they are into the whole vitual identity thing:

Second Life: Your World. Your Imagination.

Brad
t_d
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
t_d
Lives for gear

the Hammer and API5500 have just been dropped off by the fedex guy (thanks Vintage King!!).... after they get to room temperature (it's 30 degrees outside).... i'll introduce them to my 2-bus

and start comparing/testing....
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
Gear addict

T D, Please give as a good report and let us know which one you keep and why!! thanks!
t_d
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
t_d
Lives for gear

will do!

so far it's exciting enough just to touch REAL API knobs as well as the ultra-smooth knobs on the Hammer

maybe i don't even need to turn them on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel View Post
T D, Please give as a good report and let us know which one you keep and why!! thanks!
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
Lives for gear

It will be interesting to get your feedback.
Because of the way I have it setup, I can A/B between the AES out of my 192 and the analog sound of the Hammer.
I found the tubes in the Hammer added a "yummy" quality to the overall 2 mix.

http://www.groove3.com/str/RB-master-series-II.html

Ask me about Artist Endorsements for A Designs Audio and Pete's Place
t_d
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
t_d
Lives for gear

i've got a mix coming out of my computer into a HEDD.. and then daisy chained into the API and the Hammer...

i can completely bypass the API to A/B against the hammer...

my only concern:

are the Hammer tubes still coloring the sound even when the EQ is bypassed?
if so, the API will be getting colored by the Hammer...

pan60
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
500 series nutjob

i would try one then reset and try the other?
t_d
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
t_d
Lives for gear

A/B'ing very quickly and randomly is the best way to compare them, i think.. at least for me.. to hear the immediate differences.

i just found out, however, that i can turn OFF the hammer and signal will still pass thru it.... so the API can now go through the hammer without tube happening...

so far, testing is fun i can honestly say i've found an EQ that i like more than the UAD Precision EQ, which is what i'm testing these against. at similar settings the UAD sounds a lot more narrow and plastic... the analog EQs are a bit more subtle and softer (the UAD was more in your face and louder, even when doing my best to match boosts and cuts)... but they are so much more natural sounding and retain all of space of my mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
i would try one then reset and try the other?
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to AMIEL Send a message via MSN to AMIEL Send a message via Yahoo to AMIEL
so are you crying of joy? what is your opinion about these babies? Please tell us the differences and the strenght of each EQ.

thanks!

Peace.

Reuven Amiel

"There are no rules, just knowledge, good taste and experimentation"

"Music was designed to escape from reality for a moment, not to magnify our fears and problems"
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
A/B'ing very quickly and randomly is the best way to compare them, i think.. at least for me.. to hear the immediate differences.

i just found out, however, that i can turn OFF the hammer and signal will still pass thru it.... so the API can now go through the hammer without tube happening...
Hi t d,
long time no see! How nice to see (or read) you again here at GS! Just tumbled over this Hammer thread, since i am also interested in and looking for an excellent 2buss EQ. Are you testing these two machines only with your style of music? or are you listening to all kinds of material? I am very interested in what you think about these, since I was also thinking about the API, but had just discovered the great reviews about the Hammer.

greetings from Berlin,
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
t_d
Lives for gear

hi ali,

greetings!! nice to see you again, it's been a long time..!

i will indeed be testing it on my style of music.. almost exclusively... although, i'm working on an EP for a german label now that is nearly techno.. so this afternoon i've been running the minimal techno through the EQs...

tonight, however, i'll give them the test with the regular stuff... sparse, beatless, avant garde (as you know)..

for those waiting with eagerness.... i had to get out of the house with the family a bit so i haven't had time to do too much testing, but i do hope to report tonight..

one thing i do like about the API for the 2-buss however, is the stepped controls and the single bypass switch (as opposed to channel-by-channel bypass of the Hammer (in the hammer's credit tho, it is a dual-mono eq)).. i'm finding the API a bit easier to work with when applying it to the 2-buss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askin View Post
Hi t d,
long time no see! How nice to see (or read) you again here at GS! Just tumbled over this Hammer thread, since i am also interested in and looking for an excellent 2buss EQ. Are you testing these two machines only with your style of music? or are you listening to all kinds of material? I am very interested in what you think about these, since I was also thinking about the API, but had just discovered the great reviews about the Hammer.

greetings from Berlin,
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
Gear maniac

hope you get a chance to post before and after uncompressed samples for us!
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
t_d
Lives for gear

i'm a little nervous about posting samples because people so often rip apart the process behind the samples.. they always find some flaw in creating perfectly equal recording scenarios... and claim the tests are flawed and inaccurate....

if i do have time to make some, i will.. but no guarantees...

i would like to see what other's think....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericzang View Post
hope you get a chance to post before and after uncompressed samples for us!
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to George Necola
I luuuuve marketing.

the bell is the bomber, the song is ADAM S3a's 2 years ago... tbc

Quote:
If I had a hammer
I'd hammer in the morning
I'd hammer in the evening
All over this land
I'd hammer out danger
I'd hammer out a warning
I'd hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land

If I had a bell
I'd ring it in the morning
I'd ring it in the evening
All over this land
I'd ring out danger
I'd ring out a warning
I'd ring out love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land

If I had a song
I'd sing it in the morning
I'd sing it in the evening
All over this land
I'd sing out danger
I'd sing out a warning
I'd sing out love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land

Well I've got a hammer
And I've got a bell
And I've got a song to sing
All over this land
It's the hammer of justice
It's the bell of freedom
It's the song about love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land

©1958, 1962 (renewed), 1986 (renewed)
TRO-Ludlow Music, Inc. (BMI)

---------------------------------------------
www.georgenecola.com produce & mix itm/gear & fun

blog.georgenecola.com reviews & gear
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i'm a little nervous about posting samples because people so often rip apart the process behind the samples.. they always find some flaw in creating perfectly equal recording scenarios... and claim the tests are flawed and inaccurate....

if i do have time to make some, i will.. but no guarantees...

i would like to see what other's think....
IMO, comparing 2 "great" units is a very personal thing. What's good for one person, may not necessarily be good for another. It's so subjective. I tried a few stereo EQ's and ended up with the HAMMER. Why, cause it works for me and it sounds incredible on the 2 buss, with my music, in my room, etc...

www.deanlandon.com
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to AMIEL Send a message via MSN to AMIEL Send a message via Yahoo to AMIEL
At least give your comment about the SOUND......basicly you just said you just got them!

We are here waiting for at least a good report!thumbsup
waiiiiiiitiiiing!!!!!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search