vintage V72, is it viable to re-furbish it? issues?
Old 23rd October 2007
Lives for gear

vintage V72, is it viable to re-furbish it? issues?

hi guys, ive been offered a very, very old V72 unit in unknown state for 400eur. its the version w a sml screwdriver hole for altering gain. since i've considered Oliver's V71DI and V78 units before, i'm thinking perhaps i could restore and rack this thing for reasonable cost.. id love to have this to complement my GR.

so ive been reading about it, and so far, i know i can rack it locally and bring power to it for very little cost. it runs directly on 220V it seems. also i can have my tech exchange all ancient resistors and capacitors. i gave it to him to test if he can get any output/amplification from it at all.. that is yet to be seen tommorow.

what im not sure about is, with all this done, what are the chances of this prehistoric beast working, i mean , will i have to exchange tubes for NOS ones too, what about its discret amp etc.. any experiences/thoughts ?? info on restoring V72?

in short, im having trouble deciding is it all worth the effort, and what kind of signals will i be able to run with this - i want to use microphones obviously, but also drive some keyboards like rhodes, via separate DI. im little confused w info on mic vs. line amps when it comes to V series, so im not sure how much gain can i get from this beast. help?

thanks
Tom
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

That screwdriver hole you are talking about on the front - that is not gain.
That is the balance adjustment for the unit - to get the lowest hum-level.
Old 5th December 2008
Gear Head

there's lots of these units around and working so not at all out of the question. BUT......
The valves or the transformers could need replacing. You may have some other minor work to do. That means 300 euros is way too much.

You'd probably want to at least do a gain mod too which puts the cost up more.

Look for one thats working, they're not that expensive, although have gone up in recent years
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search