Pre amp Mod for Mackie 24-8
gurubuzz
22nd October 2007
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Pre amp Mod for Mackie 24-8

Has anybody Modified the Preamps in a 24-8

Are there any quick fixes to improve the sound like

OP-amps, transistors, caps maybe a Transformer mod???

Or any other Non-factory mods to any part of the mixer...

I was thinking of doing a super upgrade to a handful of the channels and leave the rest alone.
22nd October 2007
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

I'd love to do mine too ! Like modding first 8 channels and the monitor section to something decent.
22nd October 2007
Old 22nd October 2007
Gear Guru

I had a friend who made his living modding consoles (and other outboard gear). He said that for all intents and purposes, the Mackie 8 bus boards weren't worth modding. Not sure what his reasoning was since he could have made boatloads of money modding them if he could. I'd suggest some nice outboard pre's and a console upgrade someday when you have the cash.
22nd October 2007
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

I think I'll just go with a Chandler Mini Mixer and a control surface next !
gurubuzz
22nd October 2007
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

I've heard they are a bit of a pain to work on so I guess it's labor intensive.

It can't be much worse than changing a heater core in a Jaguar
(You have to pull out most of the dash)?

There must be a simple IC swap???
22nd October 2007
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurubuzz View Post
Are there any quick fixes to improve the sound
Sell it.
22nd October 2007
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurubuzz View Post
There must be a simple IC swap???
iirc, that's not really feasible due to the way they op amps are soldered to the PCB. that's what makes these such a PITA to modify and work on.

cheers,
wade
22nd October 2007
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
Sell it.

I have a 24-8 myself.. I work with high line levels so I don't have to make up gain with the console that much..
22nd October 2007
Old 22nd October 2007
Gear maniac

I sold my Mackie about 2 years ago and never looked back. I replaced it with a Ramsa WR-20, and have been very happy with it. There is a huge difference in quality and everything works 100%. No cheesy VU meters, all meters are accurate and light up. It has phantom on every channel not every 8, as well as phase. The moduls can be pulled in sections of 4. I was told that the pre's were based off of Neve design, that might just be here say though. The pre do sound alot better than Mackie's, although I just use them for high-hat and overheads now...API lunchbox. The sales pitch for the 24-8 was that the pres sounded as good as a $100,000 board, nothing could be farther from the truth. What I am trying to say is that I bought my 24-8 used for $1000 hated it, bought a Panasonic Ramsa WR-20 for $600 and really like it. .....Sell the Mackie.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
Sell it.
Helpful.................
3 Weeks Ago
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Gear interested

New life for old Mackies

Apparently others have been able to improve by rechipping and recapping Mackie series 8 bus consoles. No surface mount components that I can see!!!!!!!! He just used SOIC chips in an adaptor to replace the old line 9 pin chips. Looks doable for the DIY !!!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/wm/4/pho...48786149428960
3 Weeks Ago
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear

That's pretty interesting. I have read that the Mackie's ribbon cables tend to develop problems, but certainly the guts look mod-able. I have also read they are a PITA to get apart, which is likely why people don't like to work on them.
3 Weeks Ago
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mordo View Post
I have also read they are a PITA to get apart, which is likely why people don't like to work on them.
Yes they are. Have one around for a while in a working environment, and sooner or later you'll get to dig lunch debris out of the faders. No fun.
3 Weeks Ago
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear

Hi
The ICs won't be the only 'issue' as they are just one small part of the overall picture. The ICs themselves may not actually be an 'issue' at all.
Having any unit that is hard to work on will make it expensive (or massively tedious) to 'upgrade' unless you have a whole stream of units to work on and you can 'production engineer' a suitable set of mods.
Matt S
3 Weeks Ago
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear

It is just not worth the plain cost alone of even just the components to do the mod IMO.

I had a Mackie and it was just ok for the time it was released. It did not really meld the tracks together like most other boards do. It almost just kind of stacked them together, and they were always right on the razors edge of the others around it never really gelled things together.

Just dump the mackie and get something that is worth it out of the box. The GS3K is worlds better in that same department, and the ghost too, and there are others. Modding the mackie seems like a real torture test.

Jim
3 Weeks Ago
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaro View Post
Apparently others have been able to improve by rechipping and recapping Mackie series 8 bus consoles. No surface mount components that I can see!!!!!!!! He just used SOIC chips in an adaptor to replace the old line 9 pin chips. Looks doable for the DIY !!!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/wm/4/pho...48786149428960
that's impressive work
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search