Good or bad Idea for my DIY gear racks. Help.
filthyrich
22nd October 2007
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Good or bad Idea for my DIY gear racks. Help.

My idea is to suspend "dog chain" across the back of my rack. I need to provide strain relief (maybe I don't, but I'd like to) and it seems like a good way to do it. I could have 4 or 5 of them up and down the back of the rack. I wouldn't have permanent bars or beams that might get in the way. My question is whether it would mess with the sound having everything hanging over metal chains. Here's how I would fasten it to both of the inside walls of the rack. I would, of course, have to fasten the s hook to the chain, but the other side could just hang off the "O" hook and be easily removable. Good or bad idea?

22nd October 2007
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Haven't you got enough rattles and spurious noises in your studio? I wouldn't. I just wouldn't.

Rack gear doesn't need stress relief. Maybe wedge in some small pieces of foam if you want to dampen vibrations and take a little stress out.

If that sounds like crazy talk, imagine this: all your rack gear stacked on top of each other, seperated by small blocks of foam. Would it stand up without stress or damage? Of course it would.
filthyrich
22nd October 2007
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

I'm confused now

I was just saying I would suspend chain across the back so that all of the 1/4" cables going in and out of patch bays etc would have something to keep the pressure off the 1/4" jacks and xlr jacks on the back of my gear. I won't be touching any of the rack stuff with chain.

Maybe you understood and it's just a bad idea...but it didn't seem like it.
filthyrich
22nd October 2007
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

like this kinda

22nd October 2007
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Plastic cable ties around the back rack rails have always worked for me...Do your racks have them?
filthyrich
22nd October 2007
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

my racks

I made my racks myself, so there is nothing in the back for me to tie anything to. I guess I could just use the 0--- hooks into the side walls and tie the cables together and hang them off the hooks with garbage bag ties.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search