"All of My Love" Led Zeppelin - key/string intro?
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

"All of My Love" Led Zeppelin - key/string intro?

I have always loved this intro. What is the keyboard that John Paul is playing on the intro of All of My Love. Is there anything newer (Motif, Phantom, etc...) that mimics that sound?

Thanks
Brian DuNard
Old 17th October 2007
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Mellotron, baby!
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

I thought it was too. However, I seemed to have read somewhere that it was actually a synth and the first time that John had used it.
Old 17th October 2007
Gear Head

There's a patch on the Roland FantomXR (module) that sounds real real close. I think with a bit of tweaking you can get there.
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

I read that it was a giant Yamaha synth, not the CS-80 and that very few were made. One sold recently for over 10,000 I believe. Can't find the info I had on it, sorry!
Old 17th October 2007
Gear Head

Old 17th October 2007
Gear Guru

Just had to say that is my fav Zep album....
Old 17th October 2007
Gear nut

It was a GX1 in the studio as well. Not only was it used for both the intro and 'baroque-style' solo, but also 'In the Evening', 'Carouselambra' and 'I'm Gonna Crawl'. Apparently, Stevie Wonder had used it on several songs, as well as Keith Emerson (whom apparently, JPJ sold it to as a spare later on). Its a precursor to the aforementioned CS80. If it wasn't for the time-consuming upkeep, he might still have it!
Old 17th October 2007
Gear maniac

It was a GX1. I have a pretty good version of it on my Kurzweil PC2. It uses a ARP solina string sample. If you try to edit another string patch, make sure it has a slow attack and fast release.
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Definitely the GX-1.
You can get really close with a CS-80.
Or you can get a stripped down mono version for the solo stuff with the SY-1/SY-2.
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Just had to say that is my fav Zep album....
Old 12th December 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by corworld View Post
It was a GX1. I have a pretty good version of it on my Kurzweil PC2. It uses a ARP solina string sample. If you try to edit another string patch, make sure it has a slow attack and fast release.

My buddy has a solina string machine and it sounds identical.

Chris
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search