Pultec Tube Mixer vs. Ampex Tube Mixer
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Pultec Tube Mixer vs. Ampex Tube Mixer

Okay, I don't suppose anybody's had exposure to these 2 tube mixers, but they differ in sound at all?

I mean, I would think a tube mixer is a tube mixer eh? At least of that era.
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

I woudn't assume anything is similar just because of era or any other circuitry similarities. There are so many things that do play a part. Especially if you're talking about how these two would sound now. Time does funny things to electronics and you could probably line up all the Pultecs and they'd all sound different. Same with the Ampex models.

Just to use a guitar analogy, all strats don't sound the same. Neither do all 50s strats, or any other decade. They all have a strat sound, but they're all different.

m
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
Okay, I don't suppose anybody's had exposure to these 2 tube mixers, but they differ in sound at all?

I mean, I would think a tube mixer is a tube mixer eh? At least of that era.
soupking, what are you up to ?
are you going to get a tube mixer ?

if you are curious about tube-pres, my friend curt emery at emery sound
makes amazing guitar amps for years, and last year he sent me his tube-pre
and it is amazing - the best tube mic-pre i have heard - the most amazing
tube d.i. - you can actually play guitar direct and have mojo......bass
is killer

be well

- jack
Old 11th October 2007
Gear nut

I've heard of pultec and ampex, but not emery? Does he charge reasonable prices? Is the stuff wired point to point?
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom View Post

is killer

be well

- jack
Hi Jack,

Well, it's actually kind of an odd scenario.

1) Yeah, I've been into tube amps lately. Especially cheap small ones. I just got a Bogen Challenger (with Guitar mod) and a Bell Sound Pacemaker off eBay for a combined...like $500.

2) As for the tube mixing scenario I'm recording all my work to a TASCAM 48 then dumping down to my new JH-110. I already have a Pultec MH-4, but I'm interested in getting an Ampex or maybe and Altec. Both are at least 4-to-1 so I can take the two tube mixers and sum all 8 channels into a master. Pretty strange huh? I think it'd turn out kind of interesting though. I have a Midas that I'd be putting in front of that to EQ on mixdown though.

Thing is, I need another tube mixer. I've seen them sell on eBay for as low as $800, but I just haven't gotten up the steam. I got my Pultec off CL for $550.

I have a friend who's possibly interested in getting a DI, I'll let him know about Emery Sound. He's looking to build a mic pre though so I referred him to Orphan Audio's DIY.

Peace,
-soupking
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

hey chunk, you're a freak.

now send me photos of your studio.

this i gotta see.

not trying to bust your nuts. just curious
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck1r0ck2 View Post
hey chunk, you're a freak.

now send me photos of your studio.

this i gotta see.

not trying to bust your nuts. just curious
Heh, yeah. It's true.

I posted some vanity pics a while back. At the rate I'm accumulating crap to sustain what I consider a solid 8 track/mix set-up, I'll have to take more pictures before 2008. And I'm using a Midas live mixer to boot.

Anyway, here's the link:
Vanity Pics of my Rockin' Converted Rehearsal
Old 11th October 2007
Gear nut

I have the tube Pultec mixer and have had and serviced multiple Ampex tube and solid state mixers, as well as many other makes. The Pultec and Ampex are not alike at all. The Pultec is a passive mixer with a gain make up stage
whereas the Ampex is an active "tube buffered" mix buss with a gain make up stage. The tube Ampex models were for mixing mic levels and the Pultec was for mixing line levels. The solid state Ampex mixers you could change the input using "plug -in" transformers or preamps for line or mic levels.
I might have seen one tube model you could do that with but it was pretty rare. The Pultec mixers are harder to find than the Ampex ones. If I was going to use two mixers as a stereo pair I would try to use the same model.
At least then they would be way closer than two disparate models.
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hammond View Post
I have the tube Pultec mixer and have had and serviced multiple Ampex tube and solid state mixers, as well as many other makes. The Pultec and Ampex are not alike at all. The Pultec is a passive mixer with a gain make up stage
whereas the Ampex is an active "tube buffered" mix buss with a gain make up stage. The tube Ampex models were for mixing mic levels and the Pultec was for mixing line levels. The solid state Ampex mixers you could change the input using "plug -in" transformers or preamps for line or mic levels.
I might have seen one tube model you could do that with but it was pretty rare. The Pultec mixers are harder to find than the Ampex ones. If I was going to use two mixers as a stereo pair I would try to use the same model.
At least then they would be way closer than two disparate models.
That's great advice Paul. Thanks.

The Altec's aren't passive either are they?
Old 11th October 2007
Gear nut

The old Altec tube mixers we used to use were all tube buffered inputs with the choice of the much sought after "green" mic input transformer or the equally cool but more available "red" line input transformer, (And the Rare "Black" line to line transformer) I loved the sound of that mixer and miss it to this day. When those units are in top shape they are really hard to beat. They had a treble and bass control on them that worked nicely! The later solid state Altec gear was good too but not as sought after as the tube equipment. I loved the light up VU meter too! You're bringing back old memories! I remember all the old tube gear - RCA, Altec, Telefunken, UA,
Ampex, Gates, Collins, McIntosh, etc., as always sounding better than any of the solid state equipment of the era, and yes that includes Neve, API, Quad Eight, MCI, RCA, etc.! Gear hounds that used the best solid state equipment would hear the tube gear powered by General Radio regulated power supplies with Lambda solid state 6.3 vdc on the heaters and say -
"Check, Check One, Check Tw... OH MY GOD!!!!" ;-)
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The old Altec tube mixers we used to use were all tube buffered inputs with the choice of the much sought after "green" mic input transformer or the equally cool but more available "red" line input transformer, (And the Rare "Black" line to line transformer) I loved the sound of that mixer and miss it to this day. When those units are in top shape they are really hard to beat. They had a treble and bass control on them that worked nicely! The later solid state Altec gear was good too but not as sought after as the tube equipment. I loved the light up VU meter too! You're bringing back old memories! I remember all the old tube gear - RCA, Altec, Telefunken, UA,
Ampex, Gates, Collins, McIntosh, etc., as always sounding better than any of the solid state equipment of the era, and yes that includes Neve, API, Quad Eight, MCI, RCA, etc.! Gear hounds that used the best solid state equipment would hear the tube gear powered by General Radio regulated power supplies with Lambda solid state 6.3 vdc on the heaters and say -
"Check, Check One, Check Tw... OH MY GOD!!!!" ;-)
So true, and what I've been saying for years about SS vs tube.
Old 11th October 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom View Post

is killer

be well