tab-funkenwerk sm57 transformer?
New Reply
Subscribe
numrologst
9th October 2007
Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

tab-funkenwerk sm57 transformer?

I haven't seen any posts on these things... Any experiences?
9th October 2007
Old 9th October 2007
Gear addict

Send a message via MSN to Zeppelin
Would have been very cool if someone uploaded some files done with a regular SM57 and with the tab-funkenwerk transformer.
10th October 2007
Old 10th October 2007
Gear addict

Just picked up two of them. They sound great. Only used them on a Marshall (of course) a B3 and a tambourine...
10th October 2007
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

I remember seeing some clips here or on TapeOp forums at one point...

Anyway the T58 transformer is a total winner in my book. This mic is one of my favorites. If you hate the 57 to begin with though don't expect to be floored by this upgrade. The change seems kind of subtle at first, but then the more you use the mic the more you realize it's quite a decent tool. I personally would be content using this mic on anything...vocals, acoustics, electric guitars, drums, you name it. If you do a search you should be able to find some more detailed things I've said in the past few months.

Brad

How to integrate your analog tape deck with your DAW:
http://youtu.be/bswx5zrFRl0
http://youtu.be/W-II32AvVd8
numrologst
10th October 2007
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

i couldn't find anything on it
10th October 2007
Old 10th October 2007
Gear maniac

I had the same question too. I found more info when I searched "T58".
10th October 2007
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

I don't have any samples but I can relate my experience with the mic so far.

Compared to a regular SM57, the TAB-equipped mic seems to have a fuller low end and a MUCH smoother top end. It seems darker than a stock 57 but still captures plenty of high end detail, almost like someone notched out the 57's signature high-mid spike with a really nice EQ. I think it was Fletcher from Mercenary Audio who compared it to an SM7 and that seems like a pretty good comparison. Excellent for recording distorted guitars and anything else you'd ordinarily use a 57 for (but wanted more beef). It's an great complement to my usual guitar mics (Royer 121, Sennheiser MD421, Shure SM57) and it's getting used more and more each session.

Hope this helps,
Cory Spotts
10th October 2007
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

I'm intrigued, but totally new to the DIY side of microphone modification...are there instructions available anywhere that show you how to swap the two transformers?
10th October 2007
Old 10th October 2007
Gear Head

I have to ask what is the cost of changing out the transformer in the SM-57. I am not a fan of this mic in the first place, and I have to wonder what would be the point of replacing the transformer in an already mediocre recording device. For sure I have couple in my microphone locker, but I find its main use to be for overly sloppy vocalists or for the engineer that needs to have one for guitar amp or snare drum. The transformer for sure is an important part of the overall sound, yet I have to wonder about the wisdom of such a modification. If it works for you all, then go for it. I will personally stick using a Beyer M-201/69 or E/V RE-15: these microphones sound like I would limagine the SM-57 to sound if it were a good microphone.

Does anybody know the cost of the transformer?
10th October 2007
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

The transformer is $75 if you've got the know how to do the mod itself; the already-modded 57 is $185. I got mine at Mercenary Audio and it's winning a lot of shootouts these days.
10th October 2007
Old 10th October 2007
10th October 2007
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audible View Post
I have to ask what is the cost of changing out the transformer in the SM-57. I am not a fan of this mic in the first place, and I have to wonder what would be the point of replacing the transformer in an already mediocre recording device. For sure I have couple in my microphone locker, but I find its main use to be for overly sloppy vocalists or for the engineer that needs to have one for guitar amp or snare drum. The transformer for sure is an important part of the overall sound, yet I have to wonder about the wisdom of such a modification. If it works for you all, then go for it. I will personally stick using a Beyer M-201/69 or E/V RE-15: these microphones sound like I would limagine the SM-57 to sound if it were a good microphone.

Does anybody know the cost of the transformer?
Like I said if you already hate the mic then don't expect miracles by swapping the transformers. But it does refine the sound a bit and smooths over the things I disliked about the SM57 (bloated low mids, scratchy upper mids). The high end and low end response become a bit more extended. My friend and I did the mod on a handful of mics all at once and it was interesting how each of them had their own unique character, likely due to differences in capsules or age of the mic. The one I have is magic on vocals.

Brad
11th October 2007
Old 11th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Like I said if you already hate the mic then don't expect miracles by swapping the transformers. But it does refine the sound a bit and smooths over the things I disliked about the SM57 (bloated low mids, scratchy upper mids). The high end and low end response become a bit more extended. My friend and I did the mod on a handful of mics all at once and it was interesting how each of them had their own unique character, likely due to differences in capsules or age of the mic. The one I have is magic on vocals.

Brad

Brad,

Thanks for the info. I checked the Mercenary Audio site for some the details after reading about this modification. I would like to hear one as I love the SM7. Maybe I will find an adequate used 57 to try it out and maybe change my viewpoint about this workhorse mic. I wonder if it will work on a SM58 as well.
11th October 2007
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Brad,

Thanks for the info. I checked the Mercenary Audio site for some the details after reading about this modification. I would like to hear one as I love the SM7. Maybe I will find an adequate used 57 to try it out and maybe change my viewpoint about this workhorse mic. I wonder if it will work on a SM58 as well.

These mics are cheap enough that people probably play football with them.
Why buy a used one when you can haggle a deal for a new one at around $80 at GC?

www.poodiemusic.com
www.marvinkanarek.com
11th October 2007
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Brad,

Yeah it will work in a 58 too. I think that was the original intent, hence "T58". I'm dying to try the upgrade in an old 545 or PE54D.

Brad
11th October 2007
Old 11th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Yeah it will work in a 58 too. I think that was the original intent, hence "T58". I'm dying to try the upgrade in an old 545 or PE54D.

Brad
me too. i love my 545, but i guess i could always mod it and if i don't like it
put the transformer in a 57.
11th October 2007
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to dokushoka
The question is: Is it better than a m201 or m88?
11th October 2007
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone compared it to a transformerless 57?

I'm probably taking the tranny out of one of mine soon to hear the difference with a regular one..

Herwig
11th October 2007
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka View Post
The M88 is a hard mic to beat IMHO.... I'd spend the money on that before I bought an SM57 that...er..isn't an SM57.
11th October 2007
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

11th October 2007
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Define better.

Brad
11th October 2007
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I'm loving my ATM650 to let go! I would love to try one of these 57's though.
12th October 2007
Old 12th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Define better.

Brad
Well my question was pretty rhetorical as I love the m201 and m88 and use those over sm57s with regularity. By "better" I mean is there any instance where you would use one of these modified sm57s over an m201 or m88? That modified sm57 costs just as much as the beyers, so in my eyes, it has some stiff competition.
12th October 2007
Old 12th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well my question was pretty rhetorical as I love the m201 and m88 and use those over sm57s with regularity. By "better" I mean is there any instance where you would use one of these modified sm57s over an m201 or m88? That modified sm57 costs just as much as the beyers, so in my eyes, it has some stiff competition.

Well I would say yes. But that's only because I don't have a 201 or m88. Bring your mics over to my place and we'll find out! From all the sound clips I've heard of the m201 I'd probably prefer the modified SM57.

Brad
12th October 2007
Old 12th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I would say yes. But that's only because I don't have a 201 or m88. Bring your mics over to my place and we'll find out! From all the sound clips I've heard of the m201 I'd probably prefer the modified SM57.

Brad
Ah well there you go. I'm sure if you used an m201 you'd instantly appreciate it. Great dynamic that works on damn near everything (I've even had it be the chosen mic on vocals and acoustic guitar). You're in Fremont, right? My friend lives in Hayward, so maybe he and I could meet up with you one day. He's more of a gear head than me and does some DIY stuff so he always has lots to say about that stuff.
12th October 2007
Old 12th October 2007
Lives for gear

Cool! PM me and we can exchange contact info and set something up. You wouldn't happen to have an 1176 or MC77 in your rack would you?

Brad
12th October 2007
Old 12th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool! PM me and we can exchange contact info and set something up. You wouldn't happen to have an 1176 or MC77 in your rack would you?

Brad
I couldn't face myself in the mirror each morning if I DIDN'T have an 1176 in my rack.

Kidding. But seriously, they're my favorite all around compressors and I'd be sort of bummed to mix with one.
12th October 2007
Old 12th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have an M88, M201 and both types of 57.
I prefer the M201 almost always.

I'm often pairing the M201 with a sennheiser 609 (or 906 for metal).
Or a 421.
Or an M160.

Sometimes the M201, e906 and the M160.
It depends on the day.

I'm using the GT Vipre- I really like using the TAB57 with the vipre's variable impedence- going between 300ohms and slow slew rate up to 2400ohm and fast slew dramatically changes the tone.
12th October 2007
Old 12th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I couldn't face myself in the mirror each morning if I DIDN'T have an 1176 in my rack.

Kidding. But seriously, they're my favorite all around compressors and I'd be sort of bummed to mix with one.
Cool! When we meet up it would be great if you could bring one over. I'd love to see how my DIY version stacks up.

I see your PM...I'll be in touch soon.

Brad
6th December 2007
Old 6th December 2007
Gear nut

Hey Brad, I'm curious how your comparison went. I have a modified 58 from Mercenary and I love it but since you had both over there, what did you think of the two?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search