Login / Register

Crowley & Tripp Studio Vocalist - What do you use yours for besides voice?
New Reply
Subscribe
infiniteposse
2nd October 2007
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Crowley & Tripp Studio Vocalist - What do you use yours for besides voice?

Hi all-

I'm auditioning some mics this week, one of which is the Crowley & Tripp Studio Vocalist. I've also got a C&T Proscenium (a little too dark for my tastes) and a Naked Eye (interesting, but I'm thinking maybe the Studio Vocalist would cover the same ground and more...).

The Studio Vocalist is winning so far for voice, but I'm curious if it's getting a lot of use out there for Drum OH's, Guitar amps, acoustics and other assorted duties. I've read through various threads and see little odds and ends of thoughts about it, but most people seem to be focusing on using it for vocals only.

If you have one and could share some thoughts on it's other strengths I'd really appreciate it.

Let me also add that I've had an AEA R84 for a while and am looking to have another ribbon around and something that does things a little differently...

Thanks!

"It's not about the gear, it's about your relationship with the gear." tchadb
----------------------------------------------------
MacPro 2.26 8-core // 16gigs RAM // OS X 10.7.4 // Logic Pro 9.1.7 // UAD 2 Quad + UAD2 Solo // Apogee Symphony IO // Lavry AD10/DA10 // Dangerous 2-Buss LT // ADAM P22A Nearfield monitors and ADAM Sub // Avantone Mixcubes
infiniteposse
3rd October 2007
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone else using this mic?
28th October 2007
Old 28th October 2007
Gear addict

Great Mic

We { My Friends and I } have been useing the Studio Vocalist for over a year with the most amazing results . All of our customers choose it over our condenser Mics for Vocals . That mic is beyond great .

In our world we record some vocals in an A/B/C/D type comparison and let the singer pick his/her mic from a blind audio playback and every time they have chosen the C&T Vocalist . Is there anything better than a happy customer ? I think not !! That mic sounds Soooooh Good !!

As far as your comment on the Procenium sounding a little dark , I would like to say that there are some things that I have done in our studio
where we really love and respect that mic .

We try out different mic preamps to find the sound we are looking for.
We try out preamps with different load values on the input and those with
options to change the input . C&T mics like 1500 ohm loads as a rule.
We have found that increaseing the load to 5K or higher gives us more head room on the high side .

Also , on Vocals , We love Female vocals on the Procenium at 5k useing
tube type preamps . But , thats just our thing .

You will love the Studio Vocalist , it's very different , in a Great Way !
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search