Dynaudio BM6A + SUB or Focal Twin 6BE
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear Head

Dynaudio BM6A + SUB or Focal Twin 6BE

Hello,

i would like to switch from my mackies hr824 to some more accurate system.
i can have bm6a pair for nice price and i can buy the sub to accompany cause i miss the low bass on bm6a.
i'm also considering focals, as they have superb reputation all over here, the price is similiar.
i'm mostly doing electronica/trance mixing/mastering for the guys here.
no way to listen to focals here in slovakia, so i have to be enough with letters

thank you for support and advice.
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

I love my own Focals but they have not much to do with the Twins (SM11)

but

what I know I could mix pretty nicely with a pair of BM6A with sub. I did that for over 6 years and I still love the BM6A. BM6A is a serious speaker and not many modern speakers are on the same level IMHO.

Jo
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

After hearing the Focals at AES a couple of years ago I recently decided to get a pair of Twins on demo. I set them up in two different rooms. I also have two pairs of BM6As. I really wanted to like the Twins but to be honest I've fallen in love with my Dynaudios again. To me there's a lack of something in low mid area of the Twins but they do have a crystal clear top. The Dyns aren't perfect but for rock music I love them. I sent the Focals back.

As always, its just my humble opinion.
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear Head

thank you studjo and beech, i have worked on bm6a and i really like them, but after a year on hr824 i really like the big image i have and strong lows (kind of hyped), althru i hate them for accuracy reasons. therefor i was considering a sub, to give me that "grounded" feeling anyone with bm9 sub?
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

all I can say regarding the sub question: the huuuuuge bass of some speakers has allways beat me in my own ass tutt

I go for acuracy over fun while mixing - and when you're lucky you get both

Jo
Old 8th October 2007
Gear Head

after week of mixing / mastering on bm6a (i've already use them for two years before i moved to mackies) i was amazed how cool they are for production...
but the translation is sooooo bad here... i have treated room and don't have this trouble with mackies, they sound much more natural to me (natural in a way that it sound more normal than "beautiful" with dynaudios).

i'll try to demo the bm15a
Old 14th October 2007
Gear nut

I mix the same type of music house/electro etc. For this genre the Highs and Low ends are the most important thing(esp in the club) unlike something like Rock or for radio only track where mids are important. So I would definetly go look at the Twins 6 even though they go down to 40hz for this genre you probably roll off anything below this anyway....good translation as well.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search