Good place for pro audio gear (esp. used gear) in Toronto?
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Good place for pro audio gear (esp. used gear) in Toronto?

I'm going to be in Toronto over the weekend and was wondering if anyone might have some good tips for pro audio gear shopping in the city. The U.S. dollar isn't what it used to be, so some of that allure is gone, but I figure there should be a few interesting spots to check out. I'm especially interested in the possibility of finding good spots for used audio gear.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old 17th September 2007
Gear interested

Toronto used gear

There are a couple of gear joints in Toronto. Tele-Tech ( only open Monday to Friday. Great used stuff. North Toronto. Steels & Woodbine area. Ask for Jack....
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

There are a few stores (three I think) on Queen Street. I can't remember thier names but they had a quite a few old fenders and marshalls in them.

I was just up there this summer, you would think I could be more specific.
Old 17th September 2007
Gear interested

Toronto gear , again

The Queen st store is Steves Music. Queen st East. There is also Long & McQuade Music on Bloor st. They have several store but Bloor st, downtown is the high end store.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

FWIW,

You won't find any "deals" in Toronto more than you will in Michigan.

For reg. retail shops, I'll concur re: Steve's Music, or Long & McQuade. Teletech is cool, but is a long ways out from downtown.

Another choice for boutique/high end (but only new or poss. demo gear) try ProAudioCanada - it's also some ways from downtown (near hwy 401 and Leslie St)
proaudiocanada.com
297 Lesmill Road
(416) 654-5021

Also Moog Audio has some mid to high end stuff, and are about the cheapest in the city.
442 Queen West
moogaudio.com

A pretty cool place is SavedByTechnology, but is more electronics/keyboard/SW and such...
savedbytechnology.com
10 Breadalbane (off Wellsley subway)
416 928 6434

There are a few used instrument/vintage shops on Queen West - Songbird, etc., but IMO are WAY overpriced. I saw a completely beat up fender rhodes for $800.00 - I guess rent is a bit high, so...

There used to be a place called Wellington Pro Audio run by a local legend named Lurch, but I think has gone the way of the dodo bird.

That's all I can offer off the top 'o my head - enjoy the trip!
Old 18th September 2007
Gear maniac

the US dollar is sucking right now...better for canadians to order over the border :P
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Here's my list of great stores all walkable in an afternoon for all those coming up....

- Steve's Music 415 Queen Street WEST (not east, as someone else suggested) (just east of Spadina) Carry just about everything. New only.
- Long and McQuade 925 Bloor Street West (just west of Ossington) Carries just about everything as well. New Only, although you can score deals on purchasing stuff that's been rented out.
- Songbird Music 801 Queen Street West. Used stock only. Lots of instruments/amps, poor deals for proaudio/high end
- Capsule Music 921 Queen Street West. Used stock only. Lots of instruments/amps, cool effects and quirky rarities. A MUST SEE for musicians. Good prices too. They've got different rooms: Guitars/amps, Bass/amps, keyboards (vintage only), and acoutic (resonator, vintage, upright basses, lapsteels)
- Paul's Boutique 69 1/2 Nassau Street (in Kensington Market). Used stock only. Instruments, amps and recording gear (had an MCI 24 track 2" that sold a little while ago), another vintage freak's store.

All of these stores except for Long and McQuade are walkable and highly recommended.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search