Apogee Prism Mytek Crane Song Weiss comparisons
New Reply
Subscribe
Diegel
15th September 2007
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Apogee Prism Mytek Crane Song Weiss comparisons

Well I have done a lot of listening to Lynn Fuston's cd comparing a lot of different converters including weiss, mytek, crane song hedd 192, etc... From all the different comparisons of acoustic guitar, vocals, big band, and rock here ar my findings:

WEISS: Biggest, Fullest, natural, and seems to retain the push pull effect of the dynamics of the musicians best and possibly even slightly exaggerates the dynamic feel but in a very good way. I think it is in great dynamics that gives a converter great depth perception. This translates into retaining the life and energy of the performances the best.

APOGEE AD16x: sounds ever so slightly brittle in the high end (estimating around 12k) or could be perceived as a halo of sparkly airiness. Also sounds a little thin overall/scooped in certain frequencies and seems to have less resolution compared to the others although oddly in a sort of trimmed down perfect way (probably because it is the sound we are used to hearing on so many records). No matter what though something about it just sounds "right." I feel like the apogee imparts a certain distinct personality that could be perceived as lacking when compared to the others or perfect in it's own way. I think for the acoustic guitar it imparts a certain magic sparkle and life not found with any other converters (this might also pertain to other instruments while tracking). Though for full mixes I prefer the Weiss best. (I own and use an Apogee Ad16x as my AD and a mini-Dac as my DA)

Prism: I found the Prism to be the most neutral sounding, almost identical to the Weiss in sound but I feel like the Prism sounds boring and lifeless compared to the Weiss as it does not retain the dynamics as well.

Mytek: I found the Mytek to have better dynamics than the Prism and better life but thinner sounding yet I preferred it to the Prism as the life and energy it reatined superceded the frequency response. I still prefer the Apogee as something about it sounds more "right" to me.

Crane Song Hedd 192: Right behind the Weiss. Sounded simliar to the Weiss but a step behind in dynamics and frequency response

My main concern is for tracking and it seems the only way to record 16 tracks simultaneously (within reasonable budget) is with either the Apogee Prism or Mytek. I prefer the Apogee over Prism and Mytek as it seems to retain the life of the performance best and has a certain magic to it and something about it just sounds "right." So my conclusions from this comparison is to keep the Apogee Ad16-x and save up for a Weiss down the road for DA. Why doesn't Weiss make 16 track ADC's like Apogee???
15th September 2007
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to NathanEldred
Where's Lavry?
Diegel
15th September 2007
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Where's Lavry?
Apparently Lynn Fuston did not put Lavry on the cd but I would love to hear how it sounds up against the weiss. But if I'm not mistaken Lavry does not make 16 channel AD's either right? I mean just for tracking a band it seems like the two best options are apogee and prism. Unless you want like 8 Lavry's or Weiss' which would cost a small fortune.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search