New Reply
Subscribe
Jamz
15th September 2007
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Samick Grand Pianos for studio work?

Can anyone comment on the quality, sound and reliability on Samick grand pianos in the 5'10" range?
Thanks
15th September 2007
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

on the one hand it really is more about the guy tuning and maintaing the thing.... but samick aint exactly known as a serious instrument... it seems alotta these type pianos are really for the future heirloom crowd that has the room for a grand... nobody ever plays it but they argue over it at the funeral because it was grandma's....
15th September 2007
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Belongs to a grad student who purchased back in 1998 and is moving.
Ebony black 5'7 in excellent shape. some cosmetic scratches. Pedals do not squeak. Strings are German. He's asking $4K.
I don't have a hufe budget for this but would love to have a piano on the floor.
15th September 2007
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

for $4k buy it... as i said earlier the real thing to do is get a great tuner to work on it... have them check the regulation.... they can do wonders in terms of shapeing the hammers and evening out the touch.... very slutty of you....
15th September 2007
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have a Young Chang in my studio around 5'10 and it does great for rock and ballad folky stuff. It's no Steinway or Yamaha C7 but it sounds great in my live room and I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. I did look into getting a C7 a couple years ago and I had to pass on the 15k price tag. Have you played the Samick? Does it sound good? I played 37 of these Young Changs in Ct. before I found the one that I could stand to listen to.

Chris

"That Kick drum is so subliminal, It's Animal!"
Jamz
15th September 2007
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementedchord View Post
for $4k buy it... as i said earlier the real thing to do is get a great tuner to work on it... have them check the regulation.... they can do wonders in terms of shapeing the hammers and evening out the touch.... very slutty of you....
It's not a Steinway or even a Yamaha but if I'm pleased with the sound do you think a Samick like this could make for a good reliable studio piano
Or will people turn up their noses?
17th September 2007
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

some might turn up the nose but screw them... if it's tuned and well regulated just ask them to be open to the idea and atleast play it some... curiously enough i checked out the local craigslist here in st louis are and fond a similar one for $3900... to bad no cash...
Jamz
17th September 2007
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementedchord View Post
some might turn up the nose but screw them... if it's tuned and well regulated just ask them to be open to the idea and atleast play it some... curiously enough i checked out the local craigslist here in st louis are and fond a similar one for $3900... to bad no cash...
Craigslist...same here in the Philly area. I emailed an aquaintence who is a very talented pianist/songwriter signed to Telarc Records. He basically thought the Samick might be fine in pop music as a side instrument. A "serious" piano oriented band would probably want at least a good Yamaha or Baldwin if a Steinway wasn't available.
I tend to get tunnel vision when it comes to any purchase.
17th September 2007
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
Craigslist...same here in the Philly area. I emailed an aquaintence who is a very talented pianist/songwriter signed to Telarc Records. He basically thought the Samick might be fine in pop music as a side instrument. A "serious" piano oriented band would probably want at least a good Yamaha or Baldwin if a Steinway wasn't available.
I tend to get tunnel vision when it comes to any purchase.
I've got a Young Chang PG-185 (6' 1") for the kids to learn on. It's a fine piano. At first I had my doubts, but once my tuner voiced it properly, it really started to shine. The action certainly isn't a Renner (i.e. the one they use on the Steinway). It's a very good action, and better than any upright could be. It's been problem free since I got it, and has only had some minor adjustments. It's probably pretty comparable to a Yamaha. But, only a Renner is a Renner.

It's overkill for a couple of young kids, but I got it for cost, and you can't buy them used for what I paid new. I prefer it to a number of Yamahas that I've heard. It would probably be suitable for some studio applications.

I can't say I've heard a grand smaller than 6' (which is the cutoff between baby grands and studio grands) that I'd want to record. And, a serious pianist will probably want something more like a concert instrument. The Samick may work out for some kinds of recordings. However, even a cheap baby grand is a big investment in both $$ and space to have it only work out *sometimes*.
18th February 2013
Old 18th February 2013
Gear interested

SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL !

Featuring:
Larger Sounding-board offering bigger, richer tone. All-wood, durable fast & responsive action
These 48" tall pianos offer maximum string length and Soundboard area for outstanding tone. But a professional also needs responsive touch, which is provided by one of the largest actions in the industry. Compare the size of the Samick, all-wood, action to the competition and you'll be amazed. The large parts afford the pianist a full color pallet from pianissimo to triple forte and then some. 48" Professional upright available in mahogany or ebony high gloss.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search