Pro control surfaces available for Nuendo/Cubase?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Pro control surfaces available for Nuendo/Cubase?

Are there any professional quality control surfaces available for Nuendo/Cubase that actually look and operate like a console? Something in the $10k range is what I'm think. Digidesign has a few levels of console-like controllers out there in the market. Where are the Steinberg options? Someone please tell me that there is a company out there working on one.

Brad
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks. I've seen the M24, but it doesn't appear from their website that they have good support for Cubase SX3 / Nuendo 3.

Is the Id still in production? I was under the impression that it's no longer made.

The Euphonix is definitely too pricey.

Brad
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post

Is the Id still in production? I was under the impression that it's no longer made.

Yes it is and Mathias added many new functions that will be incorporated in upcoming new Nuendo.
It's still the best value for buck in higher end controllers.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah... the WK Audio ID is incredible!

Check it out HERE

I have messed around with one quite extensively and I think it is the most intuitive controller ever. It was designed specifically for Nuendo, and works only with Nuendo... but does more than any other controller I have seen.

PM me for more details.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Steve! I'll PM you.

Is there anyone else out there that has experience with the Id or uses it in their studio?

Brad
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

My "less than $10,000" solution for confortable DAW mixing is:

1 Mackie MCU with 1 Extender
1 $99 graphic tablet from Wacom.

I have an under-desk keyboard drawer, I place the graphic tablet there, slanted at a comfortable angle, place the wireless keyboard on my lap and between working the faders and buttons of the MCU & Extender, using the graphic table to "draw" the settings on my plugins and use the keyboard for commands as needed, I am extremely comfortable and very rarely use the mouse (as the wireless pen has 2 buttons that are fully programmable, I can use the pen for anything a mouse is good for, except with no "mouse fatigue").

To me, that's as "pro" as it gets, because it's all about the functionality of the tools that (to me) defines what professional is!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Interesting! Tell me more about how you are using the graphic tablet to use your plugins.

Brad
Old 12th September 2007
Gear maniac

yes please expand on the graphics tablet please.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 12th September 2007
Gear maniac

Hello,
My useless two cents -
The ID is a fantastic controller for the money, very tightly integrated with Nuendo. Hate the keyboard but you can use your own.
The Euphonix MC blows every control surface out of the water, makes the Icon look like a Fisher-Price. Astounding but not cheap.
H
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

New Tascam TM4800, or whatever it is called.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

What's the story with the TM4800 (or whatever it's called)?

I just watched the demo video for the Id. It seems to have some great features but it may be overkill for what I'm doing. Someone explain something to me. I don't know anyone that uses the channel EQ in Nuendo or Cubase. All these controllers seem to have features that allow you to control the crappy channel EQ with a press of a button. Why not make that "EQ" button assignable to the insert slot of your choice so that you can preload the plugin of your choice and just have it all pre-mapped to that "EQ" button" instead? It would be even better if the DAW software itself would allow you to replace the channel EQ with something else as a default. That would really make me quite a happy guy.

Brad
Old 12th September 2007
Jai guru deva om

I'm still on the old Nuendo, but I agree that EQ sucks for anything but the filters (which are just OK and can be used for sort of non-critical stuff). Cubase 4 has a new EQ section which I admit I have not spent time with. Nuendo 4 (out in like a matter of days now) will have upgraded EQ also but who knows if it will be worth anything.

Lately I'm all about the UAD Cambridge which is quite nice, and the Sony Oxford EQ (which is similar only seems smoother in character). Don't know if I can control those with my MCU but haven't tried...!

War
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

War--you should try some of the more "serious" UAD EQ's like the Neve stuff, Precision EQ, or Pultec Pro. Precision EQ maps quite nicely to the rotary encoders on the MCU. I have an extender so all 16 knobs gives me access to all four bands for the Precision EQ.

Does anyone know of any way to undo some of the implementation for the MCU with Nuendo/Cubase? In other words, when you select "MCU" as a controller in the Device Setup it automatically maps all the functions it offers to the software. Is there a way to manually set the thing up as a generic remote so that you can reprogram some of the buttons?

Brad
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
I just watched the demo video for the Id. It seems to have some great features but it may be overkill for what I'm doing. Someone explain something to me. I don't know anyone that uses the channel EQ in Nuendo or Cubase. All these controllers seem to have features that allow you to control the crappy channel EQ with a press of a button. Why not make that "EQ" button assignable to the insert slot of your choice so that you can preload the plugin of your choice and just have it all pre-mapped to that "EQ" button" instead? It would be even better if the DAW software itself would allow you to replace the channel EQ with something else as a default. That would really make me quite a happy guy.

Brad
I don't use resident EQ as well, but no problem with Oxford EQ loaded as VST, parameters spread over control knobs and displays in comfortable way. I'm not sure (as I don't use VST too much in general), but this issue (assigning non Nuendo EQ to EQ button) if addressed to WK Audio should be resolved quite easily.
In general it's excellent controller with pro feeling. I have MCU, too, but it's toy (although functionally it does what is advertised)
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
My "less than $10,000" solution for confortable DAW mixing is:

1 Mackie MCU with 1 Extender
1 $99 graphic tablet from Wacom.

I have an under-desk keyboard drawer, I place the graphic tablet there, slanted at a comfortable angle, place the wireless keyboard on my lap and between working the faders and buttons of the MCU & Extender, using the graphic table to "draw" the settings on my plugins and use the keyboard for commands as needed, I am extremely comfortable and very rarely use the mouse (as the wireless pen has 2 buttons that are fully programmable, I can use the pen for anything a mouse is good for, except with no "mouse fatigue").

To me, that's as "pro" as it gets, because it's all about the functionality of the tools that (to me) defines what professional is!
show us a pic of your setup
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

The graphic tablet I have is the Wacom Graphire 4, it's the 4X5 model, which I prefer because you have a smaller surface to navigate your entire screen.

It uses USB for interfacing/power and the drivers have not caused any issues with anything I normally use. It comes with software that allows you to configure the two buttons that are on the pen, as well as the two buttons & scroll wheel that are on the tablet itself, for anything you can possibly want, from launching programs, to modifiers (Ctrl, Alt, Shift on Windows for example) or custom commands.

The buttons on the pen (depending on how you hold the pen and rotate the pen to access the buttons) can be "clicked" with your thumb or index finger, I really like using this with the UAD Cambridge EQ, since holding down the Ctrl button and "mousing" over an EQ point affects the Q width, so all I do is press and hold the first button on the pen, which I've assigned the "Ctrl" modifier and literally "draw" my settings on my plugins.

I don't know the exact resolution of the pen, but it feels a lot more fine than my wireless mouse (as it should, since it's designed for pressure-sensitive and fine drawing applications like PhotoShop).

The tablet itself has two buttons that are programmable as well, and also a scroll wheel. I really like this because being right-handed, I'm using the pen tool with my right hand, but for example, if I want to scroll down on the edit window in Pro Tools, instead of doing that on the MCU, I just use my left hand and scroll down on the tablet itself. I've set up the far right button on the tablet to do the Bounce To Disk command, and the left to perform the Create New Track command since I add channel/effects busses as needed, so my workflow is super comfortable.

My avatar is a pic of my setup, that shows the MCU & Extender, and my 4 year-old son working the 15k - 20k range, lol. You can't see the tablet on this, but right under the desk is where the pull out tray is and that's where I place the tablet.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search