jbuntz
15th April 2004
Old 15th April 2004
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Shure SM7b

I just got one and it's not exactly blowing me away. I tried it on a few singers and a guitar cab and it's not quite what I was expecting. What about the presence boost/bass cut? I didn't find the presence boost to be very useful on the few applications I used it on.
15th April 2004
Old 15th April 2004
Lives for gear

i see the shure sm7 as giving you a big lump of clay with everything you need to make a great sculpture just need the know how and tools(equalizer etc.) to sculpt into something beautiful. Never have I recorded my SM7 and it sounds great. But it does take to eq very well
jbuntz
15th April 2004
Old 15th April 2004

Makes me feel a bit better. Everything was tracked completely flat so hopefully I can make something out of the tracks.
15th April 2004
Old 15th April 2004
Lives for gear

glad your were able to understand my fukked up grammar....after i re read it i'm like wtf? lol
15th April 2004
Old 15th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Teacher
i see the shure sm7 as giving you a big lump of clay with everything you need to make a great sculpture just need the know how and tools(equalizer etc.) to sculpt into something beautiful. Never have I recorded my SM7 and it sounds great. But it does take to eq very well
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
genius description - ive done almost entire tracks with the sm-7 and its so special.
im always trying to find a very quiet mic pre for it as it needs tons of gain for vocals - too bad its my fav vocal mic. is there a mod that will change the gain structure or put it on some sort of 47 tube case and not in that german hand granade thing?????
s
16th April 2004
Old 16th April 2004
Lives for gear

try the mp2r by A-Designs Plenty of gain and super quiet Royer helped design it for ribbon mics...it just went up in price though
jbuntz
16th April 2004
Old 16th April 2004

I have been using it through the regular MP-2. I do have to crank it with the SM7b on quiet sections. The SM7b has a freakin' low output! I can't imagine using the regular SM7.
16th April 2004
Old 16th April 2004
Lives for gear

there supposed to be the same sonically...but e-cue claims the output is higher and its clearer refering to the B...i still like my SM7 though
17th April 2004
Old 17th April 2004
Lives for gear

I just got a SM7b myself and the gain is way low. To track my voice with it through my MP2NV I have to nail to input and output, which kind of limits the pallete a little bit. It's a good sound, but still not enough gain for my liking...

I was going to toss up a post about this but thought I'd just tag along in this one. I haven't tried it with my RNP yet, so perhaps it'll be a little more hot.

Having said that, the one tune I used it on was a rock-ish tune and it was just "the" sound. Perfecto. I'm looking forward to playing with it some more.
Jax
17th April 2004
Old 17th April 2004
Jax
Lives for gear

Hmm... I gotta get a 7b. My GR MP-2 (not NV) can overload my converters with KM184's even if it's turned all the way down. The two of them should play nice together.
17th April 2004
Old 17th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by infiniteposse
I just got a SM7b myself and the gain is way low. To track my voice with it through my MP2NV I have to nail to input and output, which kind of limits the pallete a little bit. It's a good sound, but still not enough gain for my liking...

I was going to toss up a post about this but thought I'd just tag along in this one. I haven't tried it with my RNP yet, so perhaps it'll be a little more hot.

Having said that, the one tune I used it on was a rock-ish tune and it was just "the" sound. Perfecto. I'm looking forward to playing with it some more.
at 60 db of gain on my rnp i find i get a decent signal to record on my sm7 at 66db the noise floor is too high for vox IMO...MP@r changed that super quiet and clean
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search