Daniel Lanois talks about recording.
Old 9th August 2007
Gear Head

Daniel Lanois talks about recording.

For all you Lanois fans. Ironically, the audio quality is HORRIBLE.

Part 1

Part 2

I can't find the albums he talks about. It is however a very interesting interview and look forward to seeing his "movie". I am a big fan of his music and philopsohy.
<p>
<p>
<p>
<p>
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

100% Dynamite

Check out Amazon.com.

3rd&4thT
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

I can tell by a lot of his analogies that he knows a lot about photography. I wonder how many musician/engineers are like that. I just noticed that since I'm a photographer.
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

Daniel's brother Bob Lanois is a pretty accomplished photographer. He's well known in Canada, at least. Between Dan's own photography and that of Bob's, you are right that he knows the art pretty well.
Old 21st January 2008
Gear maniac

can't wait to hear what george massenburg thinks.
Old 21st January 2008
Gear maniac

Thanks Roy, enjoying stuff...Lanois fan.
Old 21st January 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Harter View Post
I can't find the albums he talks about. It is however a very interesting interview and look forward to seeing his "movie". I am a big fan of his music and philopsohy.
I think that's the one he mentions in Part 1: Amazon.com: 100% Dynamite!: Music: Various Artists

I'm glad that he talks about the importence of the great old Jamaican recordings, I think that these are still underrated in audio circles. Just think how many techniques started out in Jamaica (remixing, dub, even rap in a way with 'toasting')

I also liked his 'who need 40k' thoughts, it's truly ironic when the 'specs' get better all the time (at least on paper) but the playback fidelity gets worse with mp3, etc (unfortunately for real).
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

Very cool. Thanks for posting.
Big fan Of DL and of ribbon mics thumbsup
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
I think that's the one he mentions in Part 1: Amazon.com: 100% Dynamite!: Music: Various Artists

I'm glad that he talks about the importence of the great old Jamaican recordings, I think that these are still underrated in audio circles. Just think how many techniques started out in Jamaica (remixing, dub, even rap in a way with 'toasting')

I also liked his 'who need 40k' thoughts, it's truly ironic when the 'specs' get better all the time (at least on paper) but the playback fidelity gets worse with mp3, etc (unfortunately for real).
I haven't listened to the Lanois clips yet, but am planning on it. I will say that it is very cool that he's giving props to the early Jamaican music...especially the fact that he's giving props to an excellent Soul Jazz Records release. I have a pretty extensive collection of vintage Jamaican music and some of the finest recordings in my collection are the Soul Jazz releases. They are consistently solid comps and clearly are a labour of love when you listen to them and hear how great they sound. It's evident that impeccable and personal attention is given to sonics in the transferring/mastering to CD. The only other label with such quality and consistency is prob. Blood and Fire...maybe Pressure Sounds.
Old 21st January 2008
Gear addict

He likes ribbons and 50ies piano's! The man has a point!!!! Change the source...

Mick
Old 21st January 2008
Gear addict

What's the chain he gives for the sunday bloody sunday piano? I'm having a hard time making that out...
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

Yamaha cp70 - roland jazz chorus 120 - sm57

-Casey
Old 21st January 2008
Gear addict

Tanks, Casey.
Old 21st January 2008
Gear Head

I just ordered the CD's. Thanks for the links guys!
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyboy View Post
What's the chain he gives for the sunday bloody sunday piano? I'm having a hard time making that out...
Um, you mean guitar? There is no piano in that song.
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

Thx for these links.

I can often appreciate what DL has to say. He is one of the fortunate souls who can have the BEST talent in front of the gear. More than 1/2 the battle is won with that alone...

His point about the necessity of quality low-mids needs to be heard and addressed by many engineers/mixers.

IMO, I could care less what GM thinks. They both have VERY different ideas what an Engineer and Producer's role are, tho they can both do a killer job. I think GM's distaste for DL is more from a "Production" standpoint, and keeping in mind that GM is not a musician, his thoughts on AE'ing and Production differ enormously from DL's...

Best,
Old 21st January 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugHead View Post
I think GM's distaste for DL is more from a "Production" standpoint, and keeping in mind that GM is not a musician, his thoughts on AE'ing and Production differ enormously from DL's...
Did GM diss DL somewhere? Any links?
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Did GM diss DL somewhere? Any links?
IIRC, GM's old forum at PSW and possibly MusicPlayer.com there were some exchanges that didn't directly mention DL, but were inferred...

Not that I give a rat's arse - both do tremendous jobs in their own right...

Old 22nd January 2008
Gear addict

Interesting that he mentions a Heintzman piano. I have one from the late 1800's sitting in my basement. Its by far the nicest, warmest, upright I've played. Its a really pleasent sounding piano.
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayphish View Post
Interesting that he mentions a Heintzman piano. I have one from the late 1800's sitting in my basement. Its by far the nicest, warmest, upright I've played. Its a really pleasent sounding piano.
A lot of old Victorian piano's were some of the finest made - pre 1900's have some very nice pianos, but also often require some MAJOR restoration to get them back to being playable and great sounding. Most makes were built differently than post 1900's, and often require the best custom tech to refurbish properly.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with many Heintzman, but few are in great shape after a century or more of abuse. I don't think I've seen or played more than one that was in 'good' shape let alone 'GREAT" shape.
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Daniel's brother Bob Lanois is a pretty accomplished photographer. He's well known in Canada, at least. Between Dan's own photography and that of Bob's, you are right that he knows the art pretty well.

bobs solo record is fantastic.
Old 17th August 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
Um, you mean guitar? There is no piano in that song.
there is totally piano in that song
Old 17th August 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
lmao. I don't know why that struck me as so funny. but yes, there is piano. It's actually really obvious and loud.
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Daniel Lanois--amazing.

I'd do anything to work my way up in his studio. Gary Paczosa is another one.
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
you're not thinking of new years day?
Old 17th August 2009
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebay007 View Post
you're not thinking of new years day?
Yes, New Years Day definitely has piano. Thank you for paying attention beebay007! So simple yet so melodic and expressive just like his guitar playing.

Edge = tasty

I find it funny, (honestly kind of annoying) that people who don't know what they're talking about love to challenge and argue with people like me that try very hard to make sure that what they type is right and correct. Whether I'm talking about a mic I've used, pre, tape etc. Just like Robert Smith said, "Practice all day for accuracy."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's Sunday Bloody Sunday (No Piano)

Here's New Years Day (Piano)

Any questions?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search