A2D converter as good as...?
Old 6th August 2007
Gear addict

A2D converter as good as...?

Im about to seriously to bypass my Digi002 rack to the A2D... But was curious how the conversion quality of the A2D stands against say the RME's, Digi 192, Mytek, or Apogee stuff?
Old 6th August 2007
Gear addict

anyone compared?
Old 6th August 2007
Lives for gear

Do a search, people have certainly compared these favorably with Apogee etc. I've only compared them with Lucid, and I prefer it. But in all fairness, I haven't compared just the converter section, so the API preamp would be coloring my opinion of it.

I believe the general consensus a while back was that these converters are equally up with the best for tracking - there might be some color, but it's good color.

No complaints. I do notice huge variation between sampling rates, and I would be intrigued if more expensive converters could sound better at the lower rates. But at the moment I can't tell whether it's my A/D or D/A that is contributing the most to this difference. (Monitoring with a Benchmark DAC-1).

It's just that some experienced people with more expensive converters have indicated that good converters can sound just as good at 44.1 - which surprises me and makes me wonder.
Old 6th August 2007
Lives for gear

You can test the converters via the insert points.

Myself I wouldn't buy an A2D. I would buy a lunchbox or 3124 and outboard converters (e.g. RME ADI-2 which I like very much) for the highest quality and flexibility.

But virtually anything on the market is going to beat your 002 converters, even channels 5-8.
Old 6th August 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
I do notice huge variation between sampling rates, and I would be intrigued if more expensive converters could sound better at the lower rates. But at the moment I can't tell whether it's my A/D or D/A that is contributing the most to this difference. (Monitoring with a Benchmark DAC-1).

It's just that some experienced people with more expensive converters have indicated that good converters can sound just as good at 44.1 - which surprises me and makes me wonder.
Thats interesting? I've noticed that just with the Digi002, there is a significant difference in quality of sound from 96 to 44.1 sample rate. Now wondering if I would be able to use the 192 sample rate on the A2D if my Digi002 only has 96 capability, or would the 96 be bypassed if I went via spdif?
Old 6th August 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmusic View Post
anyone compared?

I prefer to Lavry Blue; not hard to find my comments if you search. -E
Old 7th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hard to understand some of the responses with all the dropped and conflicting pronouns. If API has a converter design authentically better and cheaper than the Lavry Blue they are leaving money on the table strapping it to preamps. I do doubt it.

No you can't get 192Khz into PTLE no way no how. Other than recording it some other way and downsampling.

If things sound better at 96 than 44.1 it's because of the quality of the filters in use. But with high quality filters & converters etc. there's no reason 44.1 can't sound better than a poor implementation of 96 or even 192. 192 is a complete waste of time afaics. If you have an abundance of DSP and you have converters that work best at 96 (some ADCs may actually work better at 44.1 than 96) then go ahead and use 96. Otherwise just invest in quality conversion and go with 44.1 or 48.
Old 7th August 2007
Gear addict

How do you define "authentic?" My stated preference is authentic. Maybe you should try listening to the A2D ; then you could at least base the arrogance on something. -E

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Hard to understand some of the responses with all the dropped and conflicting pronouns. If API has a converter design authentically better and cheaper than the Lavry Blue they are leaving money on the table strapping it to preamps. I do doubt it.

No you can't get 192Khz into PTLE no way no how. Other than recording it some other way and downsampling.

If things sound better at 96 than 44.1 it's because of the quality of the filters in use. But with high quality filters & converters etc. there's no reason 44.1 can't sound better than a poor implementation of 96 or even 192. 192 is a complete waste of time afaics. If you have an abundance of DSP and you have converters that work best at 96 (some ADCs may actually work better at 44.1 than 96) then go ahead and use 96. Otherwise just invest in quality conversion and go with 44.1 or 48.
Old 7th August 2007
Lives for gear

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search