6th August 2007
Old 6th August 2007
Lives for gear

Sphere Eclipse C

who has one
6th August 2007
Old 6th August 2007
Gear addict

I've lost touch with all of the Cs. How many were made to begin with... maybe 6? I'm currently in the process of installing a 16 bus "B" at my place. AFAIK, it will be the first studio in the world with a Sphere and an ICON in the same control room.
Sigma
6th August 2007
Old 6th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKden View Post
I've lost touch with all of the Cs. How many were made to begin with... maybe 6? I'm currently in the process of installing a 16 bus "B" at my place. AFAIK, it will be the first studio in the world with a Sphere and an ICON in the same control room.
hmm didn't know that few made..do the b's have that great parametric that the C had..to me that was one of the best eq's i ever used

http://miketarsia.com

https://www.facebook.com/mike.tarsia
6th August 2007
Old 6th August 2007
Lives for gear

There were less then 50 Sphere consoles made. Of them, about half have been parted out (sad). Some guys I know own two or three of them A, B & C's. Yes you could order the B with those semi-parametric EQ's but I always prefered the graphic EQ's myself. Most of the C's have the plasma meters, I still prefer the VU's myself.

So I could believe that there were only about a dozen C's made. Don McLaughlin could answer that question better if he kept his old sales records, unfortunately he did not. Electrodyne on the other hand did and I have a partial list of those. Funny thing is that there were hundreds of these consoles made but most hit the trash bin by the time the late 70's early 80's rolled in. Now that's the real shame.
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
518-581-8141
http://www.silvertonemastering.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Silve...82560415140525
------------------------------------------------
6th August 2007
Old 6th August 2007
Lives for gear

Oh yeah, about a dozen of them are still in Nashville. I know Mark Nevers rents one from a guy who owns 3 of them.
6th August 2007
Old 6th August 2007
Gear addict

I've read that there were a total of 39 Sphere consoles built. They could be ordered with whatever EQs you wanted.

Here's a pic of our work in progress. It's already up and running, and should be all finished in a couple of weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Sphere Eclipse C-eclipse-b.jpg  
6th August 2007
Old 6th August 2007
Gear addict

We had a Sphere Eclipse C at Full Sail in the remote truck back in 1988.
I have some pictures somewhere and the brouchre...
This one had all graphic eq's which I thought was weird back then, also
had a nice feature that would stump most of the students in my class
which was the "cut" button on each channel. We actually had that as
one of our questions in class on a test with Robert Knox (our instructor then).

Funny thing is our class pulled out the Sphere and installed a Sony MXP 3036
in its place. The Sony sounded so much better everyone said, we got stuck
building and soldering the snakes...patchbay etc...

I think the the truck was partially owned by Gary Platt (FullSail teacher)...dont know where he is but he may know where it went at the time.
I attended before the Full Sail big move to Winter Springs, back when it was at PARC studios...SSL and Studer A800, cool times loved those days.
6th August 2007
Old 6th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've read that there were a total of 39 Sphere consoles built. They could be ordered with whatever EQs you wanted.

Here's a pic of our work in progress. It's already up and running, and should be all finished in a couple of weeks.
sphere
cool it looks more like the electrodyne than our "c" what year is it?
6th August 2007
Old 6th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Not according to Don McLaughlin, more like 50. I would think he should know since he owns the company, yes they still are in business. Don just doesn't build the console anymore but he will modify them and maintain them. At least up to 3 years ago when I last talked to him he was still doing that.

Nice little console you've got there. Judging by the meters I'd say a C ? Rare to see them in black as most were the off white color.

Dean, I'm still looking out for one for you! Yeah but did the Sony really sound better? I don't think so.
6th August 2007
Old 6th August 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Not according to Don McLaughlin, more like 50. I would think he should know since he owns the company.

I looked it up, the 39 number comes from John Hall.
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byfor.../msg00336.html
Either way, we all wish there were more of 'em.

As stated earlier, this is an Eclipse B console. Delivered in late 1979. The bargraphs were just another (expensive) option. The group trims are another rarity.

I know that Bee Jay studios in Orlando had the first Eclipse C. Might that be the one that ended up at Full Sail? Groundstar here had one before getting an 8128. I had the chance to ask Ronnie about it last year. He described the Sphere as a "big mistake". Is that the one that went in the little room at Quad?
Sigma
7th August 2007
Old 7th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byfor.../msg00336.html

As stated earlier, this is an Eclipse B console. Delivered in late 1979. The bargraphs were just another (expensive) option. The group trims are another rarity.

I know that Bee Jay studios in Orlando had the first Eclipse C. Might that be the one that ended up at Full Sail? Groundstar here had one before getting an 8128. I had the chance to ask Ronnie about it last year. He described the Sphere as a "big mistake". Is that the one that went in the little room at Quad?
i was just saying the b looks closer to an electrodyne than a sphere c

does don's son still work with him?

we had to take the rail down form 18 volts to 15 and change caps to keep stuff from frying
7th August 2007
Old 7th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Eclipse C that was at Quad in Nashville was indeed from Milsap. I'd be curious to know why it was a "mistake". Probably a stylistic thing. I don't thinks it's at Quad anymore. Not sure where it went.

Brent Maher had a Sphere in Berry hill. I think it was a B. I thought there was C in the the studio that is now Blackbird, before it was Blackbird, could be wrong about that.

Echo Park in Bloominton, IN has a Sphere, not sure which one though, never been there.

Practice Your Mixing Skills!
Mix Our Tracks in Your DAW!
www.Raw-Tracks.com
7th August 2007
Old 7th August 2007
Harmless Wacko

Quote:
Sacrilege.

You will suffer a terrible fate.

Your Sphere's will be repossessed for the good of the collective.

The ICON will be melted down to fashion plastic kitchenware.

Best thing for all concerned.

Service to humanity really.

Prepare yourself.

Our action team is approaching your residence as you read this.

SM.

PS. Anybody who would choose a SONY 3036 over a 'redtop C Sphere' has gotta lay off "La Pipa". Friggin' ground chuck vs. prime rib. Then again... you did mention Yard Sale Acadamy for the hearing impared. The defense rests.
7th August 2007
Old 7th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Re: [ARSCLIST] J. T. Philly Studio

Sorry and no disrespect to John but when I was doing the article John gave me a lot of incorrect information. He took credit for other engineers designs and such. I had to straighten a lot of stuff out between Don King, Don McLaughlin and Bob Ohlson and a couple other engineers. So again, I'll still agree with the man who owned the company and that the number was closer to 50 consoles. Don's wife who kept the records told me it was closer to 60 but Don said "No, more around 50".

The first one went to the White House in 1975 under the Ford Administration. One even went to the president of Peru. Don even got a tour of Monchu Picchu when he went to do that install!
Sigma
7th August 2007
Old 7th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Sorry and no disrespect to John but when I was doing the article John gave me a lot of incorrect information. He took credit for other engineers designs and such. I had to straighten a lot of stuff out between Don King, Don McLaughlin and Bob Ohlson and a couple other engineers. So again, I'll still agree with the man who owned the company and that the number was closer to 50 consoles. Don's wife who kept the records told me it was closer to 60 but Don said "No, more around 50".

The first one went to the White House in 1975 under the Ford Administration. One even went to the president of Peru. Don even got a tour of Monchu Picchu when he went to do that install!
that was our board on the link

the "write up" strip induced noise , ran hot and never worked...the automation was being de bugged as the install was being done... i remember yards of machine code being scrutinized in the studios lounge.and there is alot more to the story that i will not post here but am sure a few people are aware of.that board is the one i posted before as featured on the cover of mix.. we had to mod alot of stuff as noted in my above post..but i have to say the eq's were some if not the best i ever worked with..i am more happy with my mixes on that analog board than any others..and once modded the thing ran like a champ

don was a real maverick and had some incredible ahead of his time ideas

if i had one criticism of him it would be that he took things to their theoretical limits..which often isn't good in high use situations
3rd February 2008
Old 3rd February 2008
Gear interested

i own the milsap "mistake"

hi you guys-
not sure if anyone is still interested, but i have the milsap eclipse c in my personal studio. it is indeed a beast with forty channels. it was like moving a truck without wheels into my studio. the frame alone is solid steel.
as for the console, i've had very little problems with it since it has arrived. quad took excellent care of it, and i continue to do the same. a few channels aren't working, but there are forty.
the difference between this console and others is that the op amps in the mic pre's are valley people trans-amps. this was apparently an option when buying the board back then, and ronnie milsap went with it. i don't know how much of a difference this made, and why it was an option in the first place. i do know that i love the sound of this console. it is thicker sounding than my old api(1604) with 512 pre's.
the console has optifile vca automation, which i would eventually like to bypass because i don't use it. not sure if i can easily rewire the faders or not.
4th February 2008
Old 4th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy3jax View Post
the console has optifile vca automation, which i would eventually like to bypass because i don't use it. not sure if i can easily rewire the faders or not.
It's been a while since I've sat in front of that console, but I'm pretty sure there's a button in the master section to flip the channel faders and the monitor pots. That 's a quick way to bypass the automation VCA's.
4th February 2008
Old 4th February 2008
Gear Guru

"Yes we can gather up the parts of all the Sphere consoles, and put them back together again..."

mountaintop@taconic.net

www.joelpatterson.us
26th January 2009
Old 26th January 2009
Gear interested

trans-amp

hello all!
just curious if anyone would know if there was an upgrade available for the valley people trans-amp. seems like it's a more all-inclusive preamp, rather than an op amp. apparently it's a tl072 with some transistors in the circuit.
thanks!
17th January 2010
Old 17th January 2010
Gear interested

Sphere Eclipse C for sale. Formally of Sound Control Studios, before that I'm told it was Alabama's board. Location is Berry Hill.

It's a 40 channel frame console with 35 faders.. There are 27 working mic pres, 8 additional line ins (mic pres could be rebuilt in those channels as well 5 more) and 32 graphic eqs- 4 with hi-pass filters. Several auxes need work- the stereo outputs need recapping. I've been using it just to go in and out into protools. Automation has been disconnected, but the computer and all parts will come with the sale, including whatever associated stuff I have. The console needs to be removed from my studio as well, along with the patch bay and lots of mugami tails.

Amazing sounding pres and eqs. I swear they make mediocre talent sound great. If I could afford it I'd have Vintage King break it into 3 or 4 sidecars and carry them with me.

i've been told engineers in this town are only interested in Neves, API's and SSLs these days. Here's a chance to have a comparable desk for a fraction of the price. Anyone interseted in making an offer or know someone who might be?
Attached Thumbnails
Sphere Eclipse C-sphere.jpg  
17th January 2010
Old 17th January 2010
Lives for gear

so how much are you selling it for/...??????
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear interested

Please contact us about the sale. I think Primal Gear may have gotten to it first, but we're interested if its still available.

Thanks

thesoundmill@gmail.com
19th February 2010
Old 19th February 2010
Gear interested

The Sphere Eclipse C has sold

Thanks all for your inquiries. It took a minute to finalize the details but the console has found a new owner.

Primal Gear was quoting prices for my board and they didn't even make me an offer for it. Typical for them from what I've come to understand.
Sigma
19th February 2010
Old 19th February 2010
Lives for gear

god that pic of the board brings back memories of ours [ours had the parametrics though which to me were incredible]..i really feel that the C was the best sounding console i ever worked on [ when you consider 8078, ssl 9000, 8068, helios, trident etc that says a lot]
bee
25th February 2010
Old 25th February 2010
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daroob View Post
Sphere Eclipse C for sale. Formally of Sound Control Studios, before that I'm told it was Alabama's board. Location is Berry Hill.

It's a 40 channel frame console with 35 faders.. There are 27 working mic pres, 8 additional line ins (mic pres could be rebuilt in those channels as well 5 more) and 32 graphic eqs- 4 with hi-pass filters. Several auxes need work- the stereo outputs need recapping. I've been using it just to go in and out into protools. Automation has been disconnected, but the computer and all parts will come with the sale, including whatever associated stuff I have. The console needs to be removed from my studio as well, along with the patch bay and lots of mugami tails.

Amazing sounding pres and eqs. I swear they make mediocre talent sound great. If I could afford it I'd have Vintage King break it into 3 or 4 sidecars and carry them with me.

i've been told engineers in this town are only interested in Neves, API's and SSLs these days. Here's a chance to have a comparable desk for a fraction of the price. Anyone interseted in making an offer or know someone who might be?
That's a nice looking console? Why the stickers over the hs50 yamaha logo?
25th February 2010
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruition2k View Post
We had a Sphere Eclipse C at Full Sail in the remote truck back in 1988.
I have some pictures somewhere and the brouchre...
This one had all graphic eq's which I thought was weird back then, also
had a nice feature that would stump most of the students in my class
which was the "cut" button on each channel. We actually had that as
one of our questions in class on a test with Robert Knox (our instructor then).

Funny thing is our class pulled out the Sphere and installed a Sony MXP 3036
in its place. The Sony sounded so much better everyone said, we got stuck
building and soldering the snakes...patchbay etc...

I think the the truck was partially owned by Gary Platt (FullSail teacher)...dont know where he is but he may know where it went at the time.
I attended before the Full Sail big move to Winter Springs, back when it was at PARC studios...SSL and Studer A800, cool times loved those days.
It went into one of the studios in the new facility. I believe it was in one of the Synclavier rooms. Really great console. I went there in 1989. Was a great school back in that day. Class sizes no larger 30 or so with lab sizes no larger than 6 students. Really great teachers. I mean Neil Portnow, and Al Schlesinger taught music business. As you mentioned, amazing days those were.
25th February 2010
Old 25th February 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruition2k View Post

Gary was my first teacher in Cincinnati at Fifth Floor Studios that had an old Sphere console with the graphics. That was my first experience recording. Gary is now in San Fran at the L'Expression Center or something like that.

Anyone ever hear the Raisins album from like 25-30 year ago? All done on the Sphere with Gary at the helm. They evolved into the Bears with Adrian Belew and I had them here at the church (studio) for a rehearsal a couple years back.....

OK, enough reminiscing.... back to work you dog.....

-ashley

www.audiogrotto.com - two controls rooms, 38x42x27 big room in converted church

Nuendo Power for v5.5
Pro Tools for Film, Video and Multimedia
Plug-In Power

FaceBook: Audiogrotto
Twitter: @audiogrotto
16th March 2010
Old 16th March 2010
Gear interested

Too many mice !

Quote:
I know that Bee Jay studios in Orlando had the first Eclipse C. Might that be the one that ended up at Full Sail? ...
I think you are right, the Bee Jay Eclipse went to Full Sail ( according to my neighbor, Bee Jay founder )

I re-built an Eclipse "C" in 1999 ( in Georgia) . It had been stored in a leaking U-Haul truck in Gnashville for years prior to that. It was 40 channel, black top with graphic EQ. 20 channels had mic-preamps. I remember it had 7 patchbays that were awkward to use in the original configuration. 3 were mounted vertically, 4 were mounted horizontally. I took them out, replaced three of them ( too much mouse piss) and made a new mount so they would all be in the same plane. Much better access to the patching !
It was a total PITA console, but only because of horrible storage conditions. Worked and sounded great ! Just don't turn it off. Ever !
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search