New Reply
Subscribe
Baderup99
20th July 2007
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Baderup99
pedals for fender blues junior...

My first amp was a line6 flextone II. Had everything a beginner could pretty much want. Now I want to upgrade to my first tube amp. But i'll definitely be downgrading in features obviously. I played the fender the other day. Sounds great and big for how small it is.
I'd be using it to record mostly, maybe for small gigs, but mainly for recording. I'd obviously need to get some pedals too. Im so use to having all the effects and tones on the line6 so I dont know much about pedals.
I want a distortion pedal, probably more like a tube screamer cuz the lead channel on the fender wasn't that dirty sounding. A delay, chorus and a compressor. I dont however want to get cheap digital pedals that will crap up the tube sound.
So what brands are good, what should i look at...Thanks
20th July 2007
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baderup99 View Post
My first amp was a line6 flextone II. Had everything a beginner could pretty much want. Now I want to upgrade to my first tube amp. But i'll definitely be downgrading in features obviously. I played the fender the other day. Sounds great and big for how small it is.
I'd be using it to record mostly, maybe for small gigs, but mainly for recording. I'd obviously need to get some pedals too. Im so use to having all the effects and tones on the line6 so I dont know much about pedals.
I want a distortion pedal, probably more like a tube screamer cuz the lead channel on the fender wasn't that dirty sounding. A delay, chorus and a compressor. I dont however want to get cheap digital pedals that will crap up the tube sound.
So what brands are good, what should i look at...Thanks
What kind of guitar are you going to primarily be playing through the Blues Jr.?

Pickups? String guage?
20th July 2007
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

I have an japanese strat, I'll probably be putting either some lindly fralins or texas specials pups in them within the next 6months. I use light gauge strings
20th July 2007
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Guru

Yeah... I don't use any pedals (I also have a J-Strat with single coils and a Blues Jr) but I have a slug of old ones from my punk/no wave days... I don't think I've ever heard a digital distortion unit with the same qualities as an analog distortion pedal. Obviously, with a digital box of some kind you can get echo, trem, 'natural' 'verb, etc... but the distortion has never worked in those for me.

That said, I haven't used a distortion box in years but I really don't play the kind of music that calls for one, anymore.

And, if I ever start to again, I have a classic mid-late-70s Big Muff ready to go through and resolder all those "classic" Electro-Harmonix crappy, cold-solder joints.

TK Major: social, biz, and music stuff | a crisp, flat design restyle for GS: Gray GS 2.2 for Chrome/Stylebot

People make oceans of music and only a tiny, tiny amount ever rises up for a few moments like a wave, visible from the shore. And then it's gone, too, back into the bottomless sea of forgotten music.
TK Major
. The Forgotify Files
20th July 2007
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have an japanese strat, I'll probably be putting either some lindly fralins or texas specials pups in them within the next 6months. I use light gauge strings
Then hold off on spending $$$ on a compressor for now, until you get those new pickups - you might not need it, unless your Nippo-Strat is completely lacking in sustain.

Delay: If you can afford it, the Line6 Delay modeller pedal is actually really cool, and won't fvck with the tube mojo on the Blues Jr. A guitarist I've recorded uses that exact combo & he always sounds good (but he's also a really good guitarist).

Distortion: There are so many. Take your Strat to a guitar store and demo a bunch, but especially check out the ElectroHarmonix Big Muff PI - it's got a sustain knob which could alleviate your desire for a compressor.

Chorus: I'll let someone else chime in, because the only chorus pedal I've ever used is about 25 y/o (Boss CE-3) and I don't know if they even make those anymore. The chorus sound is a bit dated, though, so while you're trying out fuzzboxes, try a few modulation stompbox alternatives as well. Again, Electro Harmonix makes a phaser pedal called Small Stone, which is real cool. And if you can find a Voodoo Labs MicroVibe, definitely try that.

Hope this helps.

-Eric Vincent @ Studio Curve Dominant
20th July 2007
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

I've used a Blue Junior with a Boss SD1.

Otherwise in most cases the amp provided enough gain itself.

Though if you're doing metal that's another can of worms.

Believe it or not one of the best and most overlooked pedals is the DOD Grunge pedal.
When it was first introduced, most people scoffed at it because of it's ridiculously trendy name. Stupid name. Great pedal.
I've seem them new at GC for $29. I can't even imagine that they move enough to justify stocking them.
Myspace
Facebook
Studio
Twitter
20th July 2007
Old 20th July 2007
pan
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to pan
Get a booster like this and kick that amp!

Is this amp in any way comparable to a Fender Champ from the early 80s?? Or by chance even to the Super Champ?

wot? no TR?
nichtlineareaudioproduktionen

How do you fix a terrible snare sound?
The answer is, a hit single. (Thanks, Trina)
21st July 2007
Old 21st July 2007
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Lorddiagram
I have a blues Junior and do love the tone as is but . . .

My ProCo Rat pedal is good for more/different Distortion and can be used for sustain - You can just pump the master volume on it and not the gain for a good bite.

Only other pedal I have is a Line6 Echo Park - I love the Line6 EchoFarm plug-in for TDM and this pedal has a bit of it. I haven't tried the Delay Modeler but imagine it's nice.

lD
Baderup99
21st July 2007
Old 21st July 2007
Lives for gear

hey im not looking for metal distortion, but I'd like to be able to get some nice classic rock dirty sounds, anyone listen to the black keys, dan auerbach has got some real gritty blues sounds.

Will a tube screamer work?
21st July 2007
Old 21st July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will a tube screamer work?
Yes, maybe. The Tube Screamer is like the SM57 of distortion boxes: they are universally liked, are very commonly used, it will do the job, and it will still work after you've dropped it on the floor.

You just won't score points for originality with the Tube Screamer, and if you don't at least demo some other fuzzboxes as well, you could be missing out on something that will REALLY float yer boat.

I've been using a Tech 21 SansAmp GT2 for overdriving / fuzzing-out my Fender Pro Junior, and would definitely prefer it to the Tube Screamer, if for no other reason that I know I'm gonna sound different than all the other electric guitarists in the club that night.

YMMV.
21st July 2007
Old 21st July 2007
Lives for gear

So what brands are good, what should i look at...Thanks[/QUOTE]

Home Brew Electronics Power Screamer. It's got the same chip as the old TS808 i believe and it's got a boost switch and three different kinds of diodes switchable for different overdrive and compression characteristics. They llok cool too. Mines covered in Fender Tweed and it sounds a lot like a tweed deluxe sort of niel young sound. It's my favourite overdrive pedal ever.
21st July 2007
Old 21st July 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I'm not big on pedals but a friend gifted me the Boss FBM-1 pedal. It has become a permenent fixture on my Blues Jr.
21st July 2007
Old 21st July 2007
Gear addict

VOX Cooltron Bulldog OD/Distortion. I swear to God. Sounds cheezy, and has a huge price tag, but it is the shizzle. I played EVERY pedal by Boss, DOD, Digitech, Electro Harmonix, and while some of the EH stuff is cool, the Bulldog blew them away. Pure Balls. I don't know if the built in EH 12au7 has anything to do with it, but it is crazy. Two channels, one bluesy OD, the other high gain Dist. Although the EQ is only two band, this pedal kicks ass. I'll never own another dist. pedal as long as I live. I don't even use dist. all that much, but this pedal gives me an excuse to. The Bulldog plus the Celestion Vintage 30 are the best things to ever happen to a Blues Junior. IMPO, of course.

Edit: Bulldog's OD channel shits all over the Tube Screamer TS808 all day. Thanks.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search