Tool and Breaking Benjamin Vocal Effects
DreamSound
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Gear addict

Tool and Breaking Benjamin Vocal Effects

Hei guys,

For some time I've been trying to figure out how certain bands come out with a specific vocal effect.

My best example will be the popular song Diary of Jane by Breaking Benjamin on their album Phobia. Right on the begining verse you can hear some kind of vocal effect that slightly distorts the voice (starting at 0:40 If I had to, right beside you, and I dont mind, do you like that, etc) Even before the harmonies and vocal arrangements you can hear that bit of distortion - modern sounding vocals at the end of each phrase.

Maynard from Tool does this as well in many of their songs.

Anyone knows how to achieve this effect?
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

I don`t know exactly what you`re talking about. It may be his hand held megaphone.
Maynard usually records more than one track with diferent voices. He keeps most of the times his normal voice on the center channel, and pans diferent voices (listen to lateralus at 1:38 and you`ll hear 2 voices. On Roseta Stoned he uses a megaphone and some panned voices).

Get some headphones and you`ll hear them clearly.
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

Could be a megaphone.

What have you tried so far?
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Gear maniac

I don't think it's an effect that's being "done" intentionally at the beginning of those phrases. I think there's a bit of distortion (or maybe saturation) on the vocals as a whole and certain inflections and consonants are making it kinda sound funky. Like when he sings "If I had to" the "haaa" in "had" is distorting a bit because he pushes the "haaa" in the back of his throat a bit. I can sing that without any effects really.

Also, there's a low-octave on a lot of Breaking Benjamin vocals and that might be coming through a bit more on the beginning of those phrases (might be a slow attack on the compressor or something).

--> freddie
DreamSound
20th July 2007
Old 20th July 2007
Gear addict

Vocomotion, I think you are in the right track. I feel it has a lot to do with the saturation created by way they are doubling and compressing the vocals, the room, microphone - and of course the singer.

But I'm sure there's a way to mimic that effect using some light distortion. I honestly haven't tried it yet but now that I have a t.c. helicon voice works plus I'll be experimenting a lot with it.

There's so much you can achieve with it by mixing the different variables and therefore A LOT to learn.
20th July 2007
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

23rd July 2012
Old 23rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Solid State Logic

Thats how they get the sound!!! And harmonizers a low octave vocal verbs compression ECT
23rd July 2012
Old 23rd July 2012
Gear maniac

what I saw was, "distortion and an SM57." Also managed to see something called Pyramix.. Thankfully, I can't afford that right now, or I'd be a learning a DAW tonight...

Pretty soon I will forget about it.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search