Ungrouping tracks in Pro Tools
swisha31
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

Ungrouping tracks in Pro Tools

Alright I have a question for some of you guys. I was in console view mixing a track and I grouped all of my tracks to be able to control all of the faders at one time. so i go into edit view to edit a track and it selected all of them. I went back to console view and made group inactive but they are still grouped when i try to edit. Can anybody tell me how to simply ungroup the tracks(not regions)?

thanx
swisha31
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

oh my goodness man nevermind. cant even ask questionsin a forum anymore. just gets ignored if im not talking about what type of compressor to buy
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

There is an option in preferences to link mix and edit groups. You probably want to do this (I do)....

To temporarily disable all groups, (on mac) Cmd+Shift+G (on PC) Ctrl+Shift+G. Or you could enable the little "A-Z" icon right next to the groups, then you can use a-z to enable/disable groups by letter. But you lose command focus, which I personally find more useful. So, I disable/enable all groups a lot. It becomes second nature.
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisha31 View Post
oh my goodness man nevermind. cant even ask questionsin a forum anymore. just gets ignored if im not talking about what type of compressor to buy
lol. come on man, try to relax a bit. You seem uptight! 25 minutes? This isn't customer service, you know...
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

firstly
you dont need to swtich to 'console view' (mix window) to enable groups
the little group window is always there on the left
if its gone just click the little button that brings it out
just like the region list

secondly
you dont need to make a group for all your tracks
that already exists
its automatically made
its always the first group on your group list
its called 'all'
swisha31
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv View Post
lol. come on man, try to relax a bit. You seem uptight! 25 minutes? This isn't customer service, you know...

haha yeah i know man but sometimes people post stuff and just gets ignored for days but thanx for that info man. im about to look at it right now to see if i can ungroup them.

I know in Nuendo all you have to do is select the track and unlink channel but PT tries so hard to not be user friendly
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
my thoughts exactly
even more so
read the help page/manual
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know in Nuendo all you have to do is select the track and unlink channel but PT tries so hard to not be user friendly
Just try to remember it's all in perspective. I trust you'll find PT becomes easier over time, but will seem strange at first coming from Nuendo. But there are often many ways to accomplish the task, depending on how you want to work. Once you get your head around the way you want it to work for you, you internalize those shortcuts and commands and it all becomes second nature.

There are some new options available 7.0 on, I think, when you right-click a track. I believe some of them are related to enabling/disabling groups, but I could be wrong. Check it out. The cmd-shift-g thing works just fine for me though.
swisha31
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peat View Post
my thoughts exactly
even more so
read the help page/manual
^^^^^^^^

comments like this from this guy is exactly what i didnt want. is it possible for people on this website to not be assholes for at least a week.
swisha31
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just try to remember it's all in perspective. I trust you'll find PT becomes easier over time, but will seem strange at first coming from Nuendo. But there are often many ways to accomplish the task, depending on how you want to work. Once you get your head around the way you want it to work for you, you internalize those shortcuts and commands and it all becomes second nature.

There are some new options available when you right-click a track now. I believe some of them are related to enabling/disabling groups, but I could be wrong. Check it out though.

yeah man i read about that. thats in 7.3 but i'm on 7. i think ima try to get this guy with a pro tools setup to upgrade his cause he is on PT 5!! he needs an upgrade anyway.
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
is it possible for people on this website to not be assholes
apparently not.
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
is it possible for people on this website to not be assholes for at least a week.
no more possible than it is to go a week without someone bumping their own post within half an hour.
swisha31
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20 View Post
no more possible than it is to go a week without someone bumping their own post within half an hour.

^^^^
my point exactly.........improv thanx man. i just went in and took care of it.

i appreciate it
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
^^^^

i appreciate it
Pay it forward.

No, in fact, pay it to this forum with a little patience and respect for everyone, ok? I don't want to come down on you here... but your fuse seems short, and I can't help but think this may be a reason why you're having trouble finding work recently. People don't like a hot head! There's a lot of VERY giving folks here who, if you give them more than 25 minutes, will definitely hook you up with knowledge. Just don't be demanding about it, and everyone's happy!

eh... a bit more advice than you asked for huh....
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007
Gear maniac

My Studio

if you hold ctrl you can individually change any track in any group.
18th July 2007
Old 18th July 2007

Quote:
^^^^

i appreciate it
so... not only are you so rude as to yell at everyone after only 25 minutes, but you also cant see when someone is taking the proverbial! Ah well. tutt

Anyway - the answer you're probably looking for is as above - if you hold down "control" you can move any fader within a group without affecting the group. Or you can also switch of the group temporarily.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search