Summit Audio 2BA-221 vs. Grace Design 101
New Reply
Subscribe
cominginsecond
26th March 2004
Old 26th March 2004
Gear maniac

Summit Audio 2BA-221 vs. Grace Design 101

I realize that these two pres are two very different animals, and comparing them is a little apples to oranges, but I was wondering which pre you would get and why.

I record indie rock and acoustic music. The pres I currently have are the M-Audio DMP3 and the Joe Meek MQ3. My main mics are the Rode NTK and the Blue Baby Bottle.

Thanks in advance.
26th March 2004
Old 26th March 2004
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

The grace is a little sterile at times but works well for acoustic instruments, snare drum sometimes vocals. There are much better bangs for the buck out there. I haven't tried the summit. Look into getting the syteks which will be a bit more than the grace but it's 4 channels and you can get both burr brown with a bit of color (kinda smooth sounding but not mushy) and the stock, very clean channels.
26th March 2004
Old 26th March 2004
Gear addict

RNP - 2 channels - $500. Love it. Works well on just about everything.
27th March 2004
Old 27th March 2004
Gear nut

I'm not knocking the RNP, but on one pre shootout I heard between it and the DMP3, myself and a lot of others thought the DMP3 sounded at least as good or better on acoustic guitar. So I went out and bought the DMP3. Other applications, I don't know. Personally, when I upgrade my DMP3 (clean pre) I will bypass the RNP, the sytek, and the Grace and go straight for the John Hardy.

cominginsecond, if you want some color check out the Sebatron stuff--great value IMO.
27th March 2004
Old 27th March 2004
Gear addict

Do a search for the RNP on this site and see what you come up with. It is one of the most highly acclaimed pres out there. And if your looking for some versatility your going to have an impossible time beating it for anywhere close to the price.

Or even better go try one out and make up your own mind.

My work:
http://www.mcl.ucf.edu/people/dhughes.html

My crappy band:
http://www.myspace.com/happyvalleyband

My crappy myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/darinhughes

27th March 2004
Old 27th March 2004
Lives for gear

I found the Summit Audio 2BA-221 to be outstanding. I use to own the Grace it is just clean. The Summit has a very pleasing clean tone and a nice warmer tone as well when the tube output is cranked. We put it up against a Vintech X73, Chandler Neve, Avalon M5, and a Studio Projects for three different vocalists. With each one it was our first or tide for first choice. I'd pay twice as much for mine.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search