Organizer software for studio gear schematics & connections?!
Old 7th July 2007
Gear maniac

Organizer software for studio gear schematics & connections?!

I'm tired of looking for a software where I can draw clean schematics of equipment (each rack represented by a module, each amp or preamp represented by a bubble, etcetera) and cable connections with different colors for connectors.

I don't care if it's a software built specifically for studios or a general purpose schematic organizer that allows all those features.

All I want is to plan cable connections and have a cool list of my gear, even though it's a pretty small & ridiculous home studio!

There has to be something like that! I don't believe they don't use a software for schematization in big studios! Am I alone here?
Old 7th July 2007
Gear addict

I use a cool program called Omnigraffle. Give it a google. It's quick and easy and great for laying out a schematic type of organization.
Old 7th July 2007
Lives for gear

Not exactly an obvious choice ... but Microsoft Office Visio does a great job at almost any type of graphical charting project. The canned shapes & connectors are easy to modify for whatever your specific use requires.

I haven't done any rack layouts with it but I can't imagine that it would be too difficult. As an example of how flexible it is, here is a channel strip layout that I did with Visio (it took a few hours to get the specific details down, but a course layout takes much less time). The quality is a bit off because of the 100K filesize limitation, but I think you can get an idea of the possibilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Organizer software for studio gear schematics & connections?!-maxcon-ch1-8-recall-sheet_master.gif  
Old 7th July 2007
Gear nut

viso is windows only, not for mac users.
Does anyone know another solution?
Old 7th July 2007
Lives for gear

Old 7th July 2007
Gear nut

I know... but viso is noct part of mac office and I would never install Windows on a mac.
Old 7th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
I know... but viso is noct part of mac office and I would never install Windows on a mac.
Well that's fine. But the question was asked without any reference given to platform type, and this is a possible solution. Maybe not for you, but for others perhaps.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search