Login / Register

Organizer software for studio gear schematics & connections?!
New Reply
Subscribe
TheNoize
7th July 2007
Old 7th July 2007
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to TheNoize
Organizer software for studio gear schematics & connections?!

I'm tired of looking for a software where I can draw clean schematics of equipment (each rack represented by a module, each amp or preamp represented by a bubble, etcetera) and cable connections with different colors for connectors.

I don't care if it's a software built specifically for studios or a general purpose schematic organizer that allows all those features.

All I want is to plan cable connections and have a cool list of my gear, even though it's a pretty small & ridiculous home studio!

There has to be something like that! I don't believe they don't use a software for schematization in big studios! Am I alone here?
7th July 2007
Old 7th July 2007
Gear addict

I use a cool program called Omnigraffle. Give it a google. It's quick and easy and great for laying out a schematic type of organization.
7th July 2007
Old 7th July 2007
Lives for gear

Not exactly an obvious choice ... but Microsoft Office Visio does a great job at almost any type of graphical charting project. The canned shapes & connectors are easy to modify for whatever your specific use requires.

I haven't done any rack layouts with it but I can't imagine that it would be too difficult. As an example of how flexible it is, here is a channel strip layout that I did with Visio (it took a few hours to get the specific details down, but a course layout takes much less time). The quality is a bit off because of the 100K filesize limitation, but I think you can get an idea of the possibilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Organizer software for studio gear schematics & connections?!-maxcon-ch1-8-recall-sheet_master.gif  

~8^)

The enemy isn't liberalism or conservatism, the enemy is bullshit --
Lars-Erik Nelson

Now, when there's no longer surface noise and you actually have the ability to have the most extraordinary dynamic range, people aren't using it -- T-Bone Burnett
The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them -- Albert Einstein
I'm not black, but there's a whole lot of times I wish I could say I'm not white -- Frank Zappa

7th July 2007
Old 7th July 2007
Gear nut

Send a message via ICQ to phil Send a message via Skype™ to phil
viso is windows only, not for mac users.
Does anyone know another solution?
7th July 2007
Old 7th July 2007
Lives for gear

7th July 2007
Old 7th July 2007
Gear nut

Send a message via ICQ to phil Send a message via Skype™ to phil
I know... but viso is noct part of mac office and I would never install Windows on a mac.
7th July 2007
Old 7th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
I know... but viso is noct part of mac office and I would never install Windows on a mac.
Well that's fine. But the question was asked without any reference given to platform type, and this is a possible solution. Maybe not for you, but for others perhaps.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search