Login / Register

Should I still keep all of my old magazines?
New Reply
Subscribe
AlanTide
4th July 2007
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to AlanTide
Should I still keep all of my old magazines?

Mix, EM, Keyboard, EQ, Recording etc

They take up ALOT of space in my garage.

Alan Pearce
Sound Images Recording
Dothan, Alabama
4th July 2007
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to dave-G Send a message via Skype™ to dave-G

4th July 2007
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear

A friend of mine had a huge collection of guitar mags. He went through and scanned the lessons hand articles he wanted into his comp and just burned em all to DVD.

Then he sold the mags on ebay and bought a new guitar
5th July 2007
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathMonkey View Post
A friend of mine had a huge collection of guitar mags. He went through and scanned the lessons hand articles he wanted into his comp and just burned em all to DVD...
Heh. That gives a whole new meaning to "burning the books"!
5th July 2007
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Probably quite by accident or just lazy...I have a collection of magazines dating back from the late 60's. i.e. Rave, Creem, Eye, Hit Parade, Rolling Stone, Downbeat. Mainly anything that had to do with the Stones. I started to hold on to mags like Keyboard in the 80's. Fun to look back at the state of technology.
I subscribe to several magazines these days but do not feel the need to hold on to them for an extended period of time. Keep a few up to date around in the studio. After a couple of months I give them away or trash them.
5th July 2007
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to DivineMusic
i have a nice stack of old magazines... i keep um. i go back and read through some of them now and really understand what i thought i understood 2-3 years ago sometimes.
i have a lot of mix,eq,sound on sound, recording etc.. every tape op lol
5th July 2007
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

Unless they're TapeOp, Just get rid of them!
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to AudioWarehouse
Read, Remember and Recyle ...

give them to the local school or whatever. I read mine and leave them around the office, where they manage to recycle themselves...

Pro Audio in Ireland
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Gear maniac

I've got hundreds of different mags like mix, recording, guitarworld, etc. and i really enjoy going back and reading articles that I might not have been interested in before. It's a bunch of knowledge for you to read. but if you dont have enough time to read or have enough space then it's a waste. Alot of people can benefit from mags so you could alternatively donate them to a library so other recording enthusiasts can benefit from your collection. I'd consider buying them.
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Gear Guru

Anyone want several hundred ? I have Plenty...lol
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Recycle!
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathMonkey View Post
A friend of mine had a huge collection of guitar mags. He went through and scanned the lessons hand articles he wanted into his comp and just burned em all ..................................................... to DVD.

Then he sold the mags on ebay and bought a new guitar
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Couldn't you fill/make some gobos with them???
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

I kept the Mix with Fletcher's Vintage Gear article, and the TapeOp with John Stephens interview.
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

What I do, when I can is two things :

1. write the page numbers of any good articles right on the front cover or inside the front cover, so I don't have to scan the whole magazine when I look at it later.

2. if there are really good articles, just rip them out of the magazine, staple them, and toss the rest out.

If you're thinking to scan them, it would be better to buy them scanned to begin with. I think you can buy sound on sound via PDF, and buy the past issues on dvd. Better to have professionally scanned articles which can be found and searched for. If you get a subscription you can also search their database of past articles - which is the best way of all. They can printed from there too.
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

i went through great length's cataloging all of 'em, but when my basement flooded I wasn;t even remotely sad. in fact I had to throw out a LOT when that happened. was a good thing! I am WAY too much of a pack rat!!!! (not good in a small condo in Queens, i'd be real outta control if I had a house!)
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTide View Post
Mix, EM, Keyboard, EQ, Recording etc

They take up ALOT of space in my garage.
I wish I had a garage.

Tell you what though, if I did have a garage, I would use it to store something more useful to me than old magazines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWarehouse
Read, Remember and Recyle ...
exactly. I don't even keep books once I have read them.

Here's a peek at the road ahead:

Quote:
A Bronx man trapped for two days under an avalanche of newspapers, magazines and books was rescued by firefighters and neighbors yesterday in a small urban drama that recalled the macabre 1947 tale of the Collyer brothers.

The victim, Patrice Moore, 43, of 1991 Morris Avenue, near Tremont Avenue, was found shortly after 1 p.m. in a 10-by-10-foot room crammed with paper and other detritus that completely filled it, except for a small corner where he slept, neighbors and city officials said.

A reclusive man who lived alone and had been saving magazines, newspapers, books, catalogs and junk mail for a decade - and had apparently thrown none of it out - Mr. Moore was buried standing up under the collapse on Saturday, according to neighbors, who heard him moaning and mumbling through the door, which had been blocked by all the paper.

The landlord broke in with a crowbar and neighbors began digging into the entombing piles of publications, communications and advertisements. Calls to the city brought the police, three companies of firefighters, health and buildings officials, and officials from the Office of Emergency Management.

It took more than an hour to extricate Mr. Moore - 50 garbage bags of his paper had to be hauled out just to reach him
- and he was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital with leg injuries, apparently the result of the weight that fell on him and the fluid that accumulated in his legs during his captivity. He was reported in stable condition last night, a hospital spokesman said.

Quote:
Caroline Gorynski, 88, was found dead in a first-floor bedroom of her Yonkers home, in a middle-class neighborhood near the New York City line. Her husband, Leo, 87, was found in a front hallway and died at a hospital, police said.

The fire started when space heaters ignited some of the clothing, papers and other material piled 5 feet high throughout the house, said Deputy Fire Chief John Flynn. He said some clothing lay directly on top of the heaters.

The clutter created hazardous conditions for firefighters, Flynn said.

"The debris was piled higher than their heads," he said. "There were just little narrow alleyways for them to crawl through as they searched the building."

Firefighters called it a "Collyers' mansion," Flynn said, alluding to Homer and Langley Collyer, brothers who were found dead in a Harlem brownstone in 1947 amid tons of junk they had amassed over decades.

“What you ask about is music. What you like is sound. Now music and sound are akin, but they are not the same.”
— Confucius
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
Unless they're TapeOp, Just get rid of them!

Tape Op:

Pretty cover

Interview 1

legendary producer/RE from legendary studio who recorded
legendary bands. "It was the songs back then that mattered,man,not the gear"

Interview 2

Scruffy producer/RE is in 12 indie bands . Has victorian house in upstate so and so that he converted to a studio. " I try to use unconventional recording methods, like putting the drum kit 8 miles away in a tree. I never use digital reverb".

Gear reveiw

Some guy loves a $6.000.00 mic, he's not sending it back

Next issue

Pretty cover

ect ect

Just tossed my huge stack of 'em
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search