sm57 transformer mod
salomonander
Thread Starter
#1
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
sm57 transformer mod

#2
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
nathanvacha's Avatar
 

what's the difference? it didn't say...
salomonander
Thread Starter
#3
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
well...it adds a transformer to the output :-)
#4
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #4
Gear addict
 

directions

anybody have directions for this mod, pdf or printable?
#5
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #5
#6
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #6
Gear addict
 

No info on what the desired effect is ? It sounds more ______ ????
#7
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #7
Will use anything...
 
ssaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooWahmBah View Post
No info on what the desired effect is ? It sounds more ______ ????
can't you read?

TAB-Funkenwerk Transformer features
The AMI T58 microphone output transformer was developed as a high resolution transformer upgrade for existing SM-57 or SM-58 microphones to give the same solid character without restricting upper mid and high end response. It effectively makes the mic closer to that of an SM-7 [a mic that usually goes for about $350- at most retailers].

SPECIFICATIONS

* Primary impedance: 15 to 25 Ohm
* Primary inductance: 250 mH (120Hz) @ 1.5 Ohm
* Step up ratio: 1 to 5
* Secondary inductance: 5.4H (120Hz) @ 25 Ohm
* Short impedance: 0.029mH
#8
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
AlexLakis's Avatar
 

Modding a 57?

Isn't that kind of like giving Jennifer Love Hewitt a boob job?

Quote
1
#9
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #9
Will use anything...
 
ssaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Modding a 57?

Isn't that kind of like giving Jennifer Love Hewitt a boob job?

well, it'd give her more top end too
#10
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #10
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
T58 Mod

Hey Guys,

The T58 Mod for SM57 and SM58 is a great way to improve the tone of these very popular microphones. It adds; better high end resolution which makes it even more useful for things like; snare, GTR, vocals, tom's, etc..etc... It has a higher output gain so you will not have to run your preamp as hot, which means less noise. It also clears up that low-mid muck and body resonance. I know I end up putting HPF on a 57 just about every time I use one.

It works great on everything now, not just GTR and snare. We used it for gang vocals even. I will even venture to say that the mod improves the microphone for live applications as well, where more intelligibility is needed.

It gives the snare's crack much more definition and clarity. It works well for vocals when you are tracking the band all in one room. Normally, I would have to re-do the scratch vocals because they were virtually unusable in mix down. Now, I run the vocals through the Thermionic Early-bird and it's like instant glue!!!!

It might be worth while for a studio to have a wolf in sheep's clothing!!!

check it out
SM57 Microphone with TAB-Funkenwerk Transformer


peace
mixwell
#11
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Hey Guys,

The T58 Mod for SM57 and SM58 is a great way to improve the tone of these very popular microphones. It adds; better high end resolution which makes it even more useful for things like; snare, GTR, vocals, tom's, etc..etc... It has a higher output gain so you will not have to run your preamp as hot, which means less noise. It also clears up that low-mid muck and body resonance. I know I end up putting HPF on a 57 just about every time I use one.

It works great on everything now, not just GTR and snare. We used it for gang vocals even. I will even venture to say that the mod improves the microphone for live applications as well, where more intelligibility is needed.

It gives the snare's crack much more definition and clarity. It works well for vocals when you are tracking the band all in one room. Normally, I would have to re-do the scratch vocals because they were virtually unusable in mix down. Now, I run the vocals through the Thermionic Early-bird and it's like instant glue!!!!

It might be worth while for a studio to have a wolf in sheep's clothing!!!

check it out
SM57 Microphone with TAB-Funkenwerk Transformer


peace
mixwell
Are they shipping now?

I'm starting a record in a couple of weeks and I'd love to A/B it.

Although I never roll of the lows the way you do, I could always use more top end on the snare.

Not a big fan of using my pre-amps less on snare (+20) or guitars (+35) but on Vocals (+55) it would be really nice.
#12
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Fishmed's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Hey Guys,

The T58 Mod for SM57 and SM58 is a great way to improve the tone of these very popular microphones. It adds; better high end resolution which makes it even more useful for things like; snare, GTR, vocals, tom's, etc..etc... It has a higher output gain so you will not have to run your preamp as hot, which means less noise. It also clears up that low-mid muck and body resonance. I know I end up putting HPF on a 57 just about every time I use one.

It works great on everything now, not just GTR and snare. We used it for gang vocals even. I will even venture to say that the mod improves the microphone for live applications as well, where more intelligibility is needed.

It gives the snare's crack much more definition and clarity. It works well for vocals when you are tracking the band all in one room. Normally, I would have to re-do the scratch vocals because they were virtually unusable in mix down. Now, I run the vocals through the Thermionic Early-bird and it's like instant glue!!!!

It might be worth while for a studio to have a wolf in sheep's clothing!!!

check it out
SM57 Microphone with TAB-Funkenwerk Transformer


peace
mixwell
How does it compare to a Beta 57?
#13
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #13
Lives for gear
 
AlexLakis's Avatar
 

If I may, Roc...

...The last thing I need is more hi hat bleed and less low-mid "muck" (as you put it) and "body resonance" in my snare.

I guess it could be useful if you were going for another kind of sound (besides the great 57 snare sound we all know and love) and somebody was holding a gun to your head forcing you to use a 57 on the snare...Doesn't happen too much to me, tho...

I might put a HPF at, say, 40Hz for snare, but I think you'd be stretching if you said the low end on the 57 was unusable. I've used it plenty of times on toms and bass drum with great results.

I've also never had a problem with the output gain on a 57; It's got plenty.

I doubt it's the mod making "scratch tracks" "keepers." Lots of people use the good ol' 57 for vocals by choice, myself included.

I'm sure the mod is great, tho, and opens it up for other applications...I guess it would depend on how expensive the mod is (since mics like this are cheap to begin with.)

Sorry, don't mean to rain on the love fest here, but I didn't agree with some of the things in your post as I'm seeing them...
#14
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #14
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
T58 Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
If I may, Roc...

...The last thing I need is more hi hat bleed and less low-mid "muck" (as you put it) and "body resonance" in my snare.

I guess it could be useful if you were going for another kind of sound (besides the great 57 snare sound we all know and love) and somebody was holding a gun to your head forcing you to use a 57 on the snare...Doesn't happen too much to me, tho...

I might put a HPF at, say, 40Hz for snare, but I think you'd be stretching if you said the low end on the 57 was unusable. I've used it plenty of times on toms and bass drum with great results.

I've also never had a problem with the output gain on a 57; It's got plenty.

I doubt it's the mod making "scratch tracks" "keepers." Lots of people use the good ol' 57 for vocals by choice, myself included.

I'm sure the mod is great, tho, and opens it up for other applications...I guess it would depend on how expensive the mod is (since mics like this are cheap to begin with.)

Sorry, don't mean to rain on the love fest here, but I didn't agree with some of the things in your post as I'm seeing them...

I didn't say the low end on a 57 unusable, don't put words in my post!

You might be better off taking the transformer out of your's if you don't need the gain and like the low end where it is. That way, you can justify the fact that you have a better 57 than everyone else and you didn't have to shell out a dime!!

As for the scratch vocal I was talking about, how can you base your statements on something you have never heard or know anything about. That was my opinion, based on my session. So I don't see why you need to feel upset that the mod worked for me, for that application.

Your right, the mod is great, perhaps you might try it for yourself with your intended application.


For those of you who are interested, they are shipping.
please feel free to contact me @ adam@mercenary.com

peace
mixwell
#15
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #15
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Modding a 57?

Isn't that kind of like giving Jennifer Love Hewitt a boob job?

bwahahahaha!

bcgood
#16
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
bitman's Avatar
I read over at Prodigy Pro that you can rip the tranny out of a '57 and it sound more like a ribbon, but looses a lot of it's output. However, It is stated that you can stick it's nose up to a rockin' guitar amp and get plenty of signal out of it.

I poorish and need the three '57s I do have too much to mess with one of them. But if I ever score another one cheap, I will try it.

:Ron
#17
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #17
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaudio View Post
can't you read?

TAB-Funkenwerk Transformer features
The AMI T58 microphone output transformer was developed as a high resolution transformer upgrade for existing SM-57 or SM-58 microphones to give the same solid character without restricting upper mid and high end response. It effectively makes the mic closer to that of an SM-7 [a mic that usually goes for about $350- at most retailers].

SPECIFICATIONS

* Primary impedance: 15 to 25 Ohm
* Primary inductance: 250 mH (120Hz) @ 1.5 Ohm
* Step up ratio: 1 to 5
* Secondary inductance: 5.4H (120Hz) @ 25 Ohm
* Short impedance: 0.029mH
ok, back away from the keyboard ! I`ve been reading since dr. seuss about 45 years ago .... I don`t know why that info didn`t come up for me ....thanks for the paste .

..paul
Quote
1
#18
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
not_so_new's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I didn't say the low end on a 57 unusable, don't put words in my post!

You might be better off taking the transformer out of your's if you don't need the makeup gain and like the low end where it is. That way, you can justify the fact that you have a better 57 than everyone else and you didn't have to shell out a dime!!

As for the scratch vocal I was talking about, how can you base your statements on something you have never heard or know anything about. That was my opinion, based on my session. So I don't see why you need to feel upset that the mod worked for me, for that application.

Your right, the mod is great, perhaps you might try it for yourself with your intended application.


For those of you who are interested, they are shipping.
please feel free to contact me @ adam@mercenary.com

peace
mixwell
Wow dude... you hang out with Fletcher allot don't ya? Relax a little man, it's all good, life is too short.



As far as this mod goes, $99 for a 57 (give or take) and $185 for the tanny to end up sounding like a SM7 that I could pick up for another $20 or $30 without having to do any work, just does not make allot of sense to me. Am I missing something?

Also I just take out the transformers for all my 57's and 58's. I need more gain from my preamps but I use these mics with loud sources anyway and they sound really good, allot like the description you made about the AMI T58 mod above actually.

YMMV as they say.
#19
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #19
Lives for gear
 
hangman's Avatar
 

sounds like a cool mod. I've been waiting for someone to do something like this.

in response to Not_so_new... I think the coolest part of the transformer is that they offer to Mod your existing mics. So say you have like 10 sm57s hanging about like I do... rather than buying a new sm7 I could do the mod... and its less money. that makes sense right? and if that makes sense, I think it also makes sense for them to also offer them as a completed product too. why not?
#20
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #20
Lives for gear
 
AlexLakis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I didn't say the low end on a 57 unusable, don't put words in my post!
I never said you did, read my post again. It's a hypothetical inference based upon your comments like "low-mid muck" and "almost always use a HPF."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
You might be better off taking the transformer out of your's if you don't need the gain and like the low end where it is. That way, you can justify the fact that you have a better 57 than everyone else and you didn't have to shell out a dime!!
My point is that I'm better off leaving it the way it is. Taking out the transformer isn't going to make it "better" it's going to make it "different."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
As for the scratch vocal I was talking about, how can you base your statements on something you have never heard or know anything about. That was my opinion, based on my session. So I don't see why you need to feel upset that the mod worked for me, for that application.
I'm not upset, bro! From what I understood from your words, you weren't talking about just one session...Re-read your post. You say that basically once you have the mod and another high-end piece of gear (which you also sell,) you can use the 57 on a vocalist in the room with a full band successfully (which is kind of odd; I would think the "increased detail in the highs" would increase bleed.) That's what you've found, and that's cool. Lots of people have been doing it for years (without the mod) and it sounds just fine. "YMMV."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Your right, the mod is great, perhaps you might try it for yourself with your intended application.
If my intended application calls for a SM57, then I'll use a SM57.

I'm sure the mod will make lots of people happy!
Quote
1
#21
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #21
Gear addict
 

FWIW You can read just fine, the original link didn't have any pertinent info, beyond the price of the transformer, you had to look on your own. (AND Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are is the best book ever) I removed the tranny out of my 57 and now it sounds different; yet another color. And, Hey, if I bought this transformer and popped it in there, another yet. More colors=more fun. Cheers

bw
#22
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #22
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 

It would be good if all the hot air was expelled from this thread, because I'm interested in the debate from both sides.
I noticed the mod for the first time this weekend.
I understood it to result in the 57 sound, with slightly less veiled highs.
The product interests me, but not if the mod changes the body of the 57 sound.
Tab Funkenwerk seem to know what they are doing, so I presume they think it makes the average 57 a lot better sounding.
#23
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #23
Lives for gear
 
not_so_new's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman View Post
sounds like a cool mod. I've been waiting for someone to do something like this.

in response to Not_so_new... I think the coolest part of the transformer is that they offer to Mod your existing mics. So say you have like 10 sm57s hanging about like I do... rather than buying a new sm7 I could do the mod... and its less money. that makes sense right? and if that makes sense, I think it also makes sense for them to also offer them as a completed product too. why not?

#24
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #24
Lives for gear
 
not_so_new's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Tab Funkenwerk seem to know what they are doing,.
That is the understatement of the day....

LOL



Just kidding with you man.

Seriously though, Oliver is really REALLY good. If his name is on it I am pretty sure that it is a good product.

I just don't know about the price? Probably reasonable but not something I am going to pay... (read on for why). I guess the way I look at it is if I want the sound of a 57 on a source I want a 57. If I want a different sound... well... I will reach for a different mic.

No dissrespect to Mercernary or TAB.
#25
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #25
Lives for gear
 
hangman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
I never said you did, read my post again. It's a hypothetical inference based upon your comments like "low-mid muck" and "almost always use a HPF."



My point is that I'm better off leaving it the way it is. Taking out the transformer isn't going to make it "better" it's going to make it "different."



I'm not upset, bro! From what I understood from your words, you weren't talking about just one session...Re-read your post. You say that basically once you have the mod and another high-end piece of gear (which you also sell,) you can use the 57 on a vocalist in the room with a full band successfully (which is kind of odd; I would think the "increased detail in the highs" would increase bleed.) That's what you've found, and that's cool. Lots of people have been doing it for years (without the mod) and it sounds just fine. "YMMV."



If my intended application calls for a SM57, then I'll use a SM57.

I'm sure the mod will make lots of people happy!

I dunno man, I think you might re-read your first post. You came off kinda uptight at the suggestion that someone had improved the sound of the 57.

I really don't think anyone is suggesting that you do this to all your 57s. I for one don't really have a big problem with hi-hat bleed when using a 57, and I DO think 57's have a rather mucky low mid... and by mucky I mean blury... undefined... you get the point

and again, as I said in my last post, I think the mod is targeted at people who already have lots of 57s but want more variety in their mic locker, without spending a ton of money. which seems like a very good idea.... why are you so up tight about it?
Quote
1
#26
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #26
Gear nut
 
Jeff19's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaudio View Post
well, it'd give her more top end too
that's one of the funnier comments that i've heard here in awhile. nice one. i'm pretty sure that she did have one and it could be described as being more rounded and smooth top end.

i just wanted to add that, although it did add more to the top, it didn't really do much for the bottom. i think that some people here prefer a little more low end and some people like things more flat. personally i just want a low end that not muddy, because that would ruin everything. sometimes i must admit that i do like a rounded but tight low end, especially if it has a little color to it.

#27
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #27
Lives for gear
 
AlexLakis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman View Post
I dunno man, I think you might re-read your first post. You came off kinda uptight at the suggestion that someone had improved the sound of the 57.

I really don't think anyone is suggesting that you do this to all your 57s. I for one don't really have a big problem with hi-hat bleed when using a 57, and I DO think 57's have a rather mucky low mid... and by mucky I mean blury... undefined... you get the point

and again, as I said in my last post, I think the mod is targeted at people who already have lots of 57s but want more variety in their mic locker, without spending a ton of money. which seems like a very good idea.... why are you so up tight about it?
Agreed; I apologize, I guess I did sound rather ornery. You'd have to expect to encounter some resistance when you modify a classic, but it's pretty pointless to debate. In the end, another flavor is another flavor (although not "better," I contend,) and if you get hat bleed or undefined lows, the mic probably isn't the problem. We all know how it sounds. All I ask is that whoever starts modding these things put big stickers on them or something so I don't get freaked out on a freelance gig!

Jennifer doesn't need anymore top end, but YMMV (your mammary may vary.)
salomonander
Thread Starter
#28
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
hey...if anyone did this mod and happens to have an original 57 around as well...
it think we'd all be very interested in some audio clips :-)
#29
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #29
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
As far as this mod goes, $99 for a 57 (give or take) and $185 for the tanny to end up sounding like a SM7 that I could pick up for another $20 or $30 without having to do any work, just does not make allot of sense to me. Am I missing something?
Yeah... you are.

We've been getting 57's at Banjo Mart for like $75- each... the transformer is $75- stand along... or you can get the whole kit and kaboodle for $185- with the transformer installed [the biggest bitch is removing the old transformer which requires a bit of denatured alcohol or acetone to melt the existing epoxy.

The mic comes out sounding like an SM-7 for half the price of an SM-7... and can fit in some tighter places.

As for the comment about getting more hi-hat bleed in the snare track... that is a function of a shit drummer and/or bad mic placement more than it is a function of having an extended top end to your microphone.

The Shure 57 & 58 are intentionally rolled off on the top for sound reinforcement application purposes... this transformer upgrade gives an all around clearer and more "audiophile" presentation than the original. Of our six 57's two have the new transformer... the other four are stock. While it's rare that we use more than one or two 57's on any given session... it's pretty damn cool to have the option of the extended top and greater clarity from time to time... like when you're working with a drummer who has an issue getting the snare to really "crack" right... or a guitar player whose tone is a bit dull [and you don't need the microphone dulling it down anymore than it's already dull].

It's not going to save the world... but we've found it to be a damn nice addition to the tool box... as always, YMMV.

Peace.
salomonander
Thread Starter
#30
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
hi fletcher

common...just put them right to each other and record something for us :-)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
XLR2XLR / Geekslutz forum
9
AdamJay / So much gear, so little time!
85
Betamax / So much gear, so little time!
4
ripper / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Jax / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.