Login / Register

About to buy my first two 500 series preamps...Should I buy a pair or different?
New Reply
Subscribe
Ice
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Gear Head

About to buy my first two 500 series preamps...Should I buy a pair or different?

So, yeah, I'm about to take my first dive into becoming a slut. I think the sluttiest thing I've done before this was buying some drum mics which is down right conservative. Anywho, my question is this: If I were to start with just two 500 series preamps, (single space, although the 500nv does look nice), would it be wiser to buy a pair of the same or two different ones? The bulk of their duties would be clean all the way to uber-high-gain guitar and male vocals (predominantly) from singing to screaming.

And of course, there are too many to pick from!

So far I've got...

P1
Biz
Averill 312
Mono Gama

What do you all think?
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Jai guru deva om

I think it depends on how much stereo work you plan on doing, and how well matched you'd like it to be. Otherwise, if it's guitar / vocal at the same time you may consider different models. Overall, I would personally go with a matched pair.

War

19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Lives for gear

I'd start with a pair of API's.
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Gear maniac

I'm in the same predicament.

I just scored a nice BAE lunchbox on Ebay and am deciding on pres.

My choices are down to:

2 - Brent Averrill 312A's

2 - Purple BIZ's

2 - API 512c's

I record lot's of acoustic music and am leaning toward the Purple's.

However, I feel like it would nice to have a couple of compresser's as well, ala the Speck per the recommendations of Adam at Mercenary.

I'll be interested in seeing what advice you get on this.

War?

Earl
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to NathanEldred
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdlstl View Post
I record lot's of acoustic music

Buzz Elixirs are perfect for this application IME.
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Lives for gear

you said you're going from clean to high gain stuff...so for this id say get two that compliment each of these two things.

take a look at the Buzz Elixir for clean, and then a P1 or 512 for the harder/more rock stuff. id look at the GR as well...yes it is two spaces, but the price is sure right thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Buzz Elixirs are perfect for this application IME.
yep. the elixir always wins out on tone and detail for acoustic in my 500 series shootouts, in this particular app. beating out the P1 amongst others. for recording electric guitar w/ much gain though, id probably use my Eisen Neveish(amazing) and the P1.

"i have extra money and i have two chances, the first is ****ing strippers women, in an incredible party, and the other is get a lachapell preamp... " -a gearslut
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Lives for gear

Buzz

I'm loving my Buzz Elixirs
they sound great on distorted Rock style guitars when paired with my Fathead II ribbon.

I'm also into the DI bass sound. the bottom is clear and full without dominating.

APIs are great if you need something thats aggressive in the mids, which makes sense for rock guitars (but im still lovin the Buzz)

I'm still waiting for my 500NV(SOON PLZ MERC.)
I think almost any of the 500 series would yield great results, I'm thinkin I need a 10 space box!!!
for 2 biz, and some comps and eqz ooooorrrrrr a couple of Mono Gamas oooorrr a P1 .....

I could go on for dayz the 500 format is alot of great fun and agony at the same time. Dive in the water is fine!

Rob
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
So, yeah, I'm about to take my first dive into becoming a slut. I think the sluttiest thing I've done before this was buying some drum mics which is down right conservative. Anywho, my question is this: If I were to start with just two 500 series preamps, (single space, although the 500nv does look nice), would it be wiser to buy a pair of the same or two different ones? The bulk of their duties would be clean all the way to uber-high-gain guitar and male vocals (predominantly) from singing to screaming.

And of course, there are too many to pick from!

So far I've got...

P1
Biz
Averill 312
Mono Gama

What do you all think?
For your first venture into high end preamps and the 500 series. Stick with a pair of the API's or BAE's... They are classic designs that have stood the test of time. You can get all of the rest of them as you grow with the format.
Gear Sales - High Profile Audio
Plugin Deals - PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Twitter: https://twitter.com/PluginDiscounts
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdlstl View Post
I'm in the same predicament.

I just scored a nice BAE lunchbox on Ebay and am deciding on pres.

My choices are down to:

2 - Brent Averrill 312A's

2 - Purple BIZ's

2 - API 512c's

I record lot's of acoustic music and am leaning toward the Purple's.

However, I feel like it would nice to have a couple of compresser's as well, ala the Speck
I don't believe Vince has a 500 series compressor.... Are you sure you don't mean EQ? There are tons of different EQ possibilities like the API 550's, Avedis E27, Speck, Daking and A Designs PEQ. If I could only have one it would be the Avedis... and they are incredible on acoustic guitar. I used them on a stereo acoustic on Sunday and was blown away by the top end.
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Lives for gear

whichever you choose, get a pair. That's perfect for OH mics. Or, kick and snare....whatever. It's nice to have the pair. Then, get a few different ones down the road.
Or, you couldn't go wrong with a whole rack of 512 pres.

m
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Lives for gear

just to add...I'd get a pair of pres first, then an API 560 eq as the next purchase. They KILL on drums.
I'd especially do it if you get something other than API for your pres. At least that way, you can run some signal through the API opamp.
m
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I don't believe Vince has a 500 series compressor.... Are you sure you don't mean EQ? There are tons of different EQ possibilities like the API 550's, Avedis E27, Speck, Daking and A Designs PEQ. If I could only have one it would be the Avedis... and they are incredible on acoustic guitar. I used them on a stereo acoustic on Sunday and was blown away by the top end.

My bad...I did mean the Speck EQ. Will definitely look at the others you listed.

BTW, my current preamps are:

Avalon M5
GR ME-1NV
DAV No1BG
896HD with mod including preamps.

Sorry for the thread hijack...
Ice
20th June 2007
Old 20th June 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetatkinsdiet View Post
just to add...I'd get a pair of pres first, then an API 560 eq as the next purchase. They KILL on drums.
I'd especially do it if you get something other than API for your pres. At least that way, you can run some signal through the API opamp.
m
Can I get away with one EQ for starters an just run all my audio sources out to it after tracking?
20th June 2007
Old 20th June 2007
Gear addict

the only 500 series pre i have right now is the BAE 312..i freakin love it. I would get another one to match it but i already have an API 3124 and im looking for another flavor so i think the Purple Biz is next on my list.

so i guess it all depends on what your planning to do with it.. i dont think you can go wrong with an API or Brent Avril to start off with
Ice
20th June 2007
Old 20th June 2007
Gear Head

Thanks for the replies, all! I'm pretty much sold on a pair. It'll probably be 512s before I get into my true slut colors. Thanks for the talking-to, guys!

Daniel
20th June 2007
Old 20th June 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Can I get away with one EQ for starters an just run all my audio sources out to it after tracking?
you could but you would be kinda limited if you wanted to run something stereo through it.. but if your mainly doing vocals/guitars, i dont see why not
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search