Login / Register

What type of pad should I put under my hardwood floor?
New Reply
Subscribe
bdunard
15th June 2007
Old 15th June 2007
Lives for gear

What type of pad should I put under my hardwood floor?

I am laying a hardwood floor for my new project studio. Currently it has new carpet and pad but I am ripping those out this weekend. Most hardwood floor recommends some type of tar or roofing paper. Is there something else besides tar paper that I could use that would have more of an acoustic value? I know about the green glue but have decided against it for now (mainly because I don't want to work with a glue) but Ted said that it might not make as much of difference because I am not treating the walls. I don't care so much about sound leakage as I do getting the room to sound decent. I read in another post about "Quiet Core matting" but couldn't find it on the web. thanks!

Brian DuNard
15th June 2007
Old 15th June 2007
Lives for gear

I would use thin closed cell rubber foam. Like the stuff used for yoga mats or camping bedrolls.

Acoustically, it won't make much difference, because sound will be reflecting off the wood regardless of what underneath. BUT - the big improvement is in impact noise, and comfort, feel and possibly thermal insulation.

It might allow you to roll around on your big chair with less rumble in the mics ...
15th June 2007
Old 15th June 2007
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

i installed bamboo flooring in my room and the place where i got the bamboo had 2 options for underlay.. the standard and the denser verion. i went for the denser version. it was only slightly more expensive but makes a huge difference. it's only 1/8 in. thick. it's blue and came in a roll and the floor sits right on top of it. no glue.

it's a dense closed cell foam type product.

if i were you i'd go to a place that sells hardwood floors, tiles, bamboo, etc and talk to them. maybe they can sell you a roll or give you some ideas.
bdunard
15th June 2007
Old 15th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
i installed bamboo flooring in my room and the place where i got the bamboo had 2 options for underlay.. the standard and the denser verion. i went for the denser version. it was only slightly more expensive but makes a huge difference. it's only 1/8 in. thick. it's blue and came in a roll and the floor sits right on top of it. no glue.

it's a dense closed cell foam type product.

if i were you i'd go to a place that sells hardwood floors, tiles, bamboo, etc and talk to them. maybe they can sell you a roll or give you some ideas.
did you nail your hardwoods down? how thick was your flooring? I have 3/4" bamboo.
15th June 2007
Old 15th June 2007
Gear Guru

If you nail the flooring down, there is no real difference until you start floating a layer of MDF and nailing the floor to that (no nails through the bottom of the MDF).

If you don't care about "leakage" (sound isolation), then even floating the floor in such a manner will not matter.

If you have glue/snap together floating floor, there are some differences, but mostly it has to do with impact noise form hard soled shoes and isolation from whatever is downstairs.

-tINY

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search