Syncronization woes - Woe is me
New Reply
Subscribe
pianodano
10th June 2007
Old 10th June 2007
Lives for gear

Syncronization woes - Woe is me

Not sure which forum to post this but this seems like the right place.

I'm over my head now. I wish I could find a local engineer that could help (consult) in my efforts to synchronize my audio/digital equipment but I have not been able to locate anyone. If anyone here can offer up any help, it would be greatly appreciated. It seems to me that the various manufacturers are speaking in different languages while using different terminology. I think I have a pretty good grasp of the basic concepts involved but I really can’t get the mechanics to sink in .

This is what I need to sync and what I have available now.

DAW - Sonar Pro 5 - I know this must be the master so the audio won‘t fall apart. I will use it for mostly midi sample libraries and some audio editing.

Tascam MS-16 ATR with auto locator. It can be controlled by quite a few of the older smpte controllers. Unfortunately the one I have ain't one of the ones listed in the Tascam manual.

2 Tascam DA78 DTRS recorders. I am delighted by how easily they sync to each other in chase mode. Not quite so easy to have figure out how to sync to smpte. Manual clearly state that slave units (ID other than 1) will chase a master DA78 (ID 1) which can slave to TC. Very nebulous documentation on slaving to MTC or receiving TC thru midi ports. After experimenting I don’t believe they will sync to MTC.

Tascam DM24 digital mixer. Used for 24 I/o for the DAW for now and DTRS sends/returns of the DA78’s. The DAW sends MTC to it to run the console automation and I have pretty much complete control over the DA78’s. It makes a pretty decent control surface also so I don’t plan to change the way it’s setup unless absolutely necessary. It receives word clock from the DA-78.

Toft ATB 32. For the MS16 tape recorder with DM24 subbed in. Nothing to sync here. Waiting for release of the digital card.

Timeline Microlynx. It has a third machine option card and a video sync card installed. I need to wire up the cable (or hopefully) find someone to build one for the MS16 tranport control. Unfortunately the MS16 transport is not listed in the Microlynx transport library either. I assume it will do the job anyway. I do not believe I will able to control track level functions such as arming.

So . . . my starting point ( ?) is to send MTC from the DAW to the Microlynx. It’s reading MTC fine.

Have it convert MTC to smpte. The manual says it will do this.

As I mentioned above, I am unclear on the TC input for the DA78’ recorders. I have tried MTC into the midi jack. No go. I now think the midi jack is basically for machine control only. I have tried sending smpte to the RCA TC in jack. I cannot get it to display the incoming TC thru the menu functions. I have not tried striping a DTRS tape with time code. The manual is very confusing on the proper set up to recognize and chase/resolve to TC. The manual also states it can synthesize TC from the absolute time on the formatted tape. I plan to try again today to get this machine to recognize incoming TC and maybe stripe a DTRS tape with smpte, if needed.

Sorry to have laid out so much information but I felt it was necessary to give a much info as possible. If anyone has been successful in using a MS16 resolved with the Microlynx, that would be great news.

If anyone has been successful in getting DA78’s to chase a DAW set up such as mine, that too would be great to know.

Lastly and because I am not the sharpest tack in the box, if you think I am totally wasting my time trying to get everything to sync, well, I suppose I would like know that too. Thanks for any help.

Danny
10th June 2007
Old 10th June 2007
Gear Guru

Danny, you're on the right track wanting the DAW to be the master. I'm not familiar with the MS-16. I'd say your best bet would be to find a post house with a knowledgeable engineer that could help you out. Best of luck.
10th June 2007
Old 10th June 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Steffmo
Man, this is jogging my brain....

The DA78 will sync to either SMPTE or MTC. You would also need the DAW to be word clock master. You might want to get a word clock distro box to do this as if you daisy chain all these word clock connectons there might be phase issues.

The DA78 has tons of menus. One of them will selsect between SMPTE and MTC. It also will need word clock, and it might not run without it. Once you have a master the other will sync via the TDIF Sync.

I'm assuming the Lynx doesn't have the DAW option...it idoes make IT the master. Otherwise the Lynnx will read SMPTE from the DAW, and you need the right cables to hook up to the analog machine. There might be a Lynx software update for that machine.

You will also need to Word sync the digital console to the system to send it digital signal from the DA78's, Altought you might be able to get away with analog for what you are doing.

Then It all plugs into the ATB and you are off to the races.
pianodano
10th June 2007
Old 10th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Danny, you're on the right track wanting the DAW to be the master. I'm not familiar with the MS-16. I'd say your best bet would be to find a post house with a knowledgeable engineer that could help you out. Best of luck.
drBill,

Thanks man. Yep, I've read just about everything I can find and I know it's ONLY way. I"ll keep searching for a local engineer that can help me through it.

Danny
pianodano
10th June 2007
Old 10th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
Man, this is jogging my brain....

The DA78 will sync to either SMPTE or MTC. You would also need the DAW to be word clock master. You might want to get a word clock distro box to do this as if you daisy chain all these word clock connectons there might be phase issues.

The DA78 has tons of menus. One of them will selsect between SMPTE and MTC. It also will need word clock, and it might not run without it. Once you have a master the other will sync via the TDIF Sync.

I'm assuming the Lynx doesn't have the DAW option...it idoes make IT the master. Otherwise the Lynnx will read SMPTE from the DAW, and you need the right cables to hook up to the analog machine. There might be a Lynx software update for that machine.

You will also need to Word sync the digital console to the system to send it digital signal from the DA78's, Altought you might be able to get away with analog for what you are doing.

Then It all plugs into the ATB and you are off to the races.
Yep, deep menus on the DA78's. Thanks for the information. I'll pull the darn thing out of the rack so I can play around with different cable/clocking/TC configurations I suppose.

I remember reading somewhere a couple of years back that the DA78's had a bug in the software which was never addressed concerning syncing to MTC but I can't remember where. I also wish I could get Tascam to answer the phone but they won't. I also posted over at Tascam Forums a few days ago but that thread died without a response.

RE the DAW as word clock master ? The digital console is receiving wordclock from the DA-78 master currently. I will try using the Console as the wordclock master for the DA78 master machine.

The digital console currently has the 24 i/o firewire digital card option installed which makes (forces) the DAW to sync to the card clock which would be the console clock. NO ? There are no daughter cards of any kind available that I can find that would give me any other option here.

For sure if and when Toft release the card for the ATB 32, I will run a word clock cable to it.

The Lynx manual has specific details on using it with Pro Tools. I wonder if you are referring here to the ACG (audio clock generator option card that was made for the Microlyx. I keep coming back to that possibility for sure. Mine doesn't have that card installed, dang it. But the manual specifically says that the ACG card "provides the speed refernece for Pro Tools". It also says the ACG option is ONLY required when Pro Tools is the MASTER. The next sentence confounds everything and talks about "if Pro tools is locked to video then the MTC generated by Pro Tools in midi master mode must have a fixed relationship with video sync". It kind of obliquely states that this is what the ACG card is for.

I currently have the Lynx reading MTC. That part was easy. THe DA78's are using the console Tascam native TDIFs. I was trying to get the DA78 via the midi inputs.

Thanks again.
10th June 2007
Old 10th June 2007
Lives for food

You have quite a pile of stuff. Fortunately, it all falls in the neighborhood of the types of signals I've dealt with and sync for all is achievable.

Now, forgetting the tape recorder for 30 seconds here...if I were walking in there with the command to make all your stuff sync flawlessly, I'd bring a MOTU Digital Timepiece (digital timepiece...not midi timepiece). With appropriate cables, it would take fifteen minutes or so to get everything rolling. Another fifteen minutes or so of changing which unit is master in order to decide your preference (Daw being the first one to try as master). They used to call the Timepiece a swiss army knife for sync and in my ten years or so of experience with it, that's absolutely true. It syncs practically any combination of word, adat, mtc,smpte,superclock etc from every corner of the planet in an extremely fast setup.

Now, as to the tape recorder, you already know your situation with it not working as a slave. There are lots of things you can do/buy in order to force it to be a slave in your larger system (I know because I have several multitracks that can run in sync as slaves to the various digital systems).... but if you wanted to integrate it into the above system in that fifteen time frame I was speaking of, the recorder would be brought into the entire system as master ....not the entirely ideal way to go...but entirely do-able when you use that particular tape recorder with a digital timepiece and that other pile of digital stuff you have. Everything would run and lock flawlessly. Later on, if you find an actual Tascam branded synchronizer (like an ats500 for example), you could hook that between the Timepiece the recorder and your tape recorder would then chase and lock to the overall system as a slave.
pianodano
11th June 2007
Old 11th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
You have quite a pile of stuff. Fortunately, it all falls in the neighborhood of the types of signals I've dealt with and sync for all is achievable.

Now, forgetting the tape recorder for 30 seconds here...if I were walking in there with the command to make all your stuff sync flawlessly, I'd bring a MOTU Digital Timepiece (digital timepiece...not midi timepiece). With appropriate cables, it would take fifteen minutes or so to get everything rolling. Another fifteen minutes or so of changing which unit is master in order to decide your preference (Daw being the first one to try as master). They used to call the Timepiece a swiss army knife for sync and in my ten years or so of experience with it, that's absolutely true. It syncs practically any combination of word, adat, mtc,smpte,superclock etc from every corner of the planet in an extremely fast setup.

Now, as to the tape recorder, you already know your situation with it not working as a slave. There are lots of things you can do/buy in order to force it to be a slave in your larger system (I know because I have several multitracks that can run in sync as slaves to the various digital systems).... but if you wanted to integrate it into the above system in that fifteen time frame I was speaking of, the recorder would be brought into the entire system as master ....not the entirely ideal way to go...but entirely do-able when you use that particular tape recorder with a digital timepiece and that other pile of digital stuff you have. Everything would run and lock flawlessly. Later on, if you find an actual Tascam branded synchronizer (like an ats500 for example), you could hook that between the Timepiece the recorder and your tape recorder would then chase and lock to the overall system as a slave.
Thanks for the reply. I wish you were here.

So You think I need to find one of the old Motu pieces ? I am not sure exactly how I would set that up. As I stated, there is really no way to have the DAW directly sync to anything other than the console clock via the firewire card. Already tried using the MS16 as master and DAW as slave. Sample libraries audio gets wacked. That's weird hearing the audio get totally out of tune. That would work for MIDI sequencing only, as you know. UNLESS

you're thinking that the MOTU it would resolve the MS16 capstan speed to a degree of acurracy that the DAW would chase without errors? Tape slippage wouldn't be a factor ? Wouldn't the Lynx accomplish the same thing ? I am just trying to get it in my head.

Thanks

Danny
11th June 2007
Old 11th June 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yif I were walking in there with the command to make all your stuff sync flawlessly, I'd bring a MOTU Digital Timepiece (digital timepiece...not midi timepiece).

Wow!! Just goes to show how we all accomplish things differently. After a couple of years of intense brain scratching, frustration and several hundred dollars of long distance charges to MOTU, we took our DTP and blew it up with a shotgun. That was one of the best days of my life. Things sync'd much better after that.

Noodle, you must truly be a genius engineer. my hats off to you if you can get a DTP to make your gear jump thru hoops.

Cheers,

bp
11th June 2007
Old 11th June 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianodano View Post
Wouldn't the Lynx accomplish the same thing ?
Danny, I'm not saying that a DTP won't work, but the LYNX stuff is bulletproof IMO. Lots of post houses stake huge sessions billing at $1000+ per hour on those boxes and they never even hiccup. I don't have a microLynx. I've got the modular lynx modules, but they work great. Good luck on your problems.

I also know your woes/dread of the DA78's. After having DA88's I wonder what happened. Maybe the original software engineers got fired and they hired some evil designer that liked to make stuff as convoluted and hard as possible. I had "clicking" and "ticking" WC issues with those ever since day one. I had to check and double check and triple check using all my attention to make sure I got a record pass with no "glitches" in it before moving on to the next piece of music. I HATED those things. Finally I made them the master running on internal and still had problems - although a bit less. Had the heads redone several times even though they were almost new. No go. I made my client sell them. Loved the ease of DA88's, hated the DA78's. What a PITA piece of gear. They sounded OK, even almost good if I could get them to work right. Resetting sync and WC, & etc was like going to college every time I used them. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh. Ah, the memories.

Best of luck. Keep at it, one piece at a time, starting with your DAW. You'll get it.

Bill
11th June 2007
Old 11th June 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

A MOTU Digital timepiece is one of the most confusing pieces of gear ever....but it is a real swiss army knife in these situations. I rarely use mine, but I won't sell it either.

True about the Tascam Syncronizers....they are out there and cheep.

I really don't see what you need the digital card in the Toft for. At the end of the signal path you will need to dump the mix to.....something. Depending on how you tracks are allocated you can dump it to a dedicated mix machine...like a masterlink of that newer Tascam unit for digital, or an analog machine. The digitals will have converters of SOME quality. Or you could go back to two tracks of one of the DA78's, a decent though not outstanding converter, or to two tracks of the analog machine, if available. Or back to the DAW.

Maybe if that analog card is judged as having some particularly special sound or at least better than your DAW), it might make sense. But unless that is the case, I don't see where that does anything to help you out. It isn't going to sound better simply because its in the console.
pianodano
11th June 2007
Old 11th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Danny, I'm not saying that a DTP won't work, but the LYNX stuff is bulletproof IMO. Lots of post houses stake huge sessions billing at $1000+ per hour on those boxes and they never even hiccup. I don't have a microLynx. I've got the modular lynx modules, but they work great. Good luck on your problems.

I also know your woes/dread of the DA78's. After having DA88's I wonder what happened. Maybe the original software engineers got fired and they hired some evil designer that liked to make stuff as convoluted and hard as possible. I had "clicking" and "ticking" WC issues with those ever since day one. I had to check and double check and triple check using all my attention to make sure I got a record pass with no "glitches" in it before moving on to the next piece of music. I HATED those things. Finally I made them the master running on internal and still had problems - although a bit less. Had the heads redone several times even though they were almost new. No go. I made my client sell them. Loved the ease of DA88's, hated the DA78's. What a PITA piece of gear. They sounded OK, even almost good if I could get them to work right. Resetting sync and WC, & etc was like going to college every time I used them. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh. Ah, the memories.

Best of luck. Keep at it, one piece at a time, starting with your DAW. You'll get it.

Bill
Thanks for the encouragement. Yep, It is really amazing how nice the DA78's sound (imo). I bought the first one anout 4 years ago. I had a grand total of 58 hours on it when I started putting together the DAW thing and just forgot about it. A couple months back I turned it on and played a session tape. I was really surpised to hear how pleasant it sounded. Thinking (after reading the manual) how easy it would be to sync to anything I said to myself, self, it would be great to have a couple more of those for when I run out of tracks on the tape recorder and they say they sync so easy.

Woe is me. tutt I bought a second one with 3 hours on it and WAS looking for a 3rd. stike So much for that idea. WTF has happened to TASCAM anyway? As a friend of mine might say, Smoke and mirrors. About sums them up nowadays (imo).

My brother just picked up a really nice SONY APR24. He's trying to decide between his JH24 and the APR24. Looks like the APR 24 would be the easiest of all to sync in my situation. I could maybe dump the DA78's AND the MS16. But then again, I really like the MS16 1" machine for ease of maintenence and tape cost.

BTW, about the TASCAM ES 50-51 synchronizer. Does anyone know for sure if it will, without troubles, sync the MS16 ? I haven't been able to find one yet, but I haven't gave up on locating one.

Danny
11th June 2007
Old 11th June 2007
Lives for food

........."you're thinking that the MOTU it would resolve the MS16 capstan speed to a degree of acurracy that the DAW would chase without errors? ..."

No..as I said, using the tape recorder (without a tascam synchronizer which is an easy plug-in sync unit) your tape recorder can be used in your chain (with a DTP) if the tape recorder is MASTER. Not slave.

As I also mentioned, this is not the ideal way to sync a system (tape recorder as master...routed to DTP..and everything digital then slaves off the DTP).. but it DOES work.

Now, you want the tape recorder to be a slave in this big system?.....

As I mentioned, if you go buy a Tascam synchronizer (forget the ES series because the control protocols are not a plug-n-play deal even though the ES units say Tascam on them), THEN you can use the tape recorder as a slave that will chase and lock fine at smpte frame rate. You still have to have a DTP in this scenario also.

The easiest plug-n-play synchronizers to find cheap and used would be either the Tascam MTS1000 (midiizer) or the ATS500. Either one will give you the lock you need for the tape recorder to slave.....and it will be slaving from the DTP (for example). The DTP would simultaneously distribute/keep track of/lock all your digital stuff...either via the DTP being the master...or your daw being the master....or any other piece you choose.
11th June 2007
Old 11th June 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
My brother just picked up a really nice SONY APR24. He's trying to decide between his JH24 and the APR24.
Danny, I'd tell your bro that the APR sucks and you'll take it off his hands. Then ditch your Tascam and DA78's and you're golden. The APR should lock up quite easily and will sound magnatudes better than the Tascam ATR, but probably not quite as good as the MCI.
11th June 2007
Old 11th June 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

True that the MCI might sound a pinch better....BUT

It has alignment memories for different tape formulations and/or levels. And the transport is simply amazing. Handles tape like a rocket and is one of the easiest machines ever to sync.

These are huge pluses in your situation. And....it still sounds plenty good.
12th June 2007
Old 12th June 2007
Gear Guru

Yeah, maybe I should have put a smiley after telling to tell your bro that it "sucks". The Sony is a killer machine. Try to get it. It will alleviate a lot of your problems and will sound vastly better than the tascam.
pianodano
12th June 2007
Old 12th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, maybe I should have put a smiley after telling to tell your bro that it "sucks". The Sony is a killer machine. Try to get it. It will alleviate a lot of your problems and will sound vastly better than the tascam.
I knew what you meant. I think he's crazy about the machine though and he got a great deal on it. $1,300.00. Who the heck would have ever thought that would come to pass? Heads are in great shape according to the head guy (Tom @Amp Services down at West Palm). He'll probably keep both of them for his use I guess.

I've have kinda been on the lookout for a JH24 myself. At least the Microlynx has that transport listed. I still think that if I can figure out the pinout /translation from the Lynx to the MS-16, that the Lynx will control it, assuming I don't burn the transport up messing around

I believe the Sony has 3 cards that are bad. I think he found a cold joint on one of them. Do you know of any place that might have parts ?

I gotta tell you, whenever I listen to some of the stuff that came out of Criteria that was done on MCI stuff. What a sound. I recently turned down an amazing 636 console that Tom (Amp Services) had found. It appeared to be perfect in every respect. But I was afraid of it because of it's age. I bought the 32 channel Toft for now. That little fellow is nothing to snear at either (imo). I've never worked on a console before with such sweet eq.

Danny
pianodano
12th June 2007
Old 12th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
True that the MCI might sound a pinch better....BUT

It has alignment memories for different tape formulations and/or levels. And the transport is simply amazing. Handles tape like a rocket and is one of the easiest machines ever to sync.

These are huge pluses in your situation. And....it still sounds plenty good.
Yep EASY on that one. And it does have memories for different tapes.

Danny
pianodano
12th June 2007
Old 12th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
........."you're thinking that the MOTU it would resolve the MS16 capstan speed to a degree of acurracy that the DAW would chase without errors? ..."

No..as I said, using the tape recorder (without a tascam synchronizer which is an easy plug-in sync unit) your tape recorder can be used in your chain (with a DTP) if the tape recorder is MASTER. Not slave.

As I also mentioned, this is not the ideal way to sync a system (tape recorder as master...routed to DTP..and everything digital then slaves off the DTP).. but it DOES work.

Now, you want the tape recorder to be a slave in this big system?.....

As I mentioned, if you go buy a Tascam synchronizer (forget the ES series because the control protocols are not a plug-n-play deal even though the ES units say Tascam on them), THEN you can use the tape recorder as a slave that will chase and lock fine at smpte frame rate. You still have to have a DTP in this scenario also.

The easiest plug-n-play synchronizers to find cheap and used would be either the Tascam MTS1000 (midiizer) or the ATS500. Either one will give you the lock you need for the tape recorder to slave.....and it will be slaving from the DTP (for example). The DTP would simultaneously distribute/keep track of/lock all your digital stuff...either via the DTP being the master...or your daw being the master....or any other piece you choose.
I'm trying to digest everything you said. Thanks for the insight.

Danny
12th June 2007
Old 12th June 2007
Lives for food

I agree about Criteria/MCI. I used to hang out there in 1975 and Howie Albert would let me explore. Great ambience on top of everything else that was happening. I keep trying to remember what the custom MCI console was in one of the control rooms...the board with those strange hump type faders like the old EMI stuff.

I also still have all my old MCI brochures and price lists from the mid-70's. Those are a hoot to look at every so often.
pianodano
13th June 2007
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree about Criteria/MCI. I used to hang out there in 1975 and Howie Albert would let me explore. Great ambience on top of everything else that was happening. I keep trying to remember what the custom MCI console was in one of the control rooms...the board with those strange hump type faders like the old EMI stuff.

I also still have all my old MCI brochures and price lists from the mid-70's. Those are a hoot to look at every so often.
Wow, I bet that was great. There's a site somewhere about Criteria and the Miami happenings that gives info on the different rooms, players and gear used there way back when. It's been a while since I've seen it but I'll see if I can find a link. Wasn't that a custom 536 that Jeep Harned had built for them ? Opps, mid 70's ? Nah that's right. I'd bet its cool to have all the old MCI brochure. What about that mans headstone ? You've picuures of it, right ?

So about the MS-16. Am I to undertand that the Microlynx just won't work with that machine at all ? Or is it that it's going to be such a pain figuring out the pinouts ? The Microlynx has a pinout/ function diagram and likewise the Tascam. The Tascam uses a 38 pin Elco connector and I don't know what the connector is on the Timeline end. But I was able to get a Microlynx to Fostex cable so I was kind of hoping that it could be made to work - maybe. I was pretty much under the assumtion that the Microlynx transport control could be cutom configured for any machine and unfortunately out of the 120 or so transports in the menu, mine just wasn't one of them.

Danny
pianodano
13th June 2007
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

Was this the console ? HISTORIC MCI CONSOLE

Heres' Jeep Harned's headstone. The Miami Music Story ยป Jeep Always Stressed Proper Grounding Scroll down to where it says "Jeep always stressed proper grounding".

More. Mack Emerman

Danny

EDIT: Man oh man, I must be loosing it. If I'm not mistaken, THAT console was for sale about 6 mos ago on ebay. The listing told the history and had a starting bid of 25K, which nobody met. Yep that's the pictures I remember from ebay. I'll bet that baby uses even more current than the 20 amps a 636 does.
13th June 2007
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for food

Yeah that was it. Those pics don't do it justice. The control room was always very dark when I was in there, and the console, with all it's colors, looked like a lit up Christmas tree. I was last in there (apparently) just before "Jive Talkin'" was made with it.
13th June 2007
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

You're not going to get a big fat analog sound out of your MS16, it's just not going to happen. You make like it for the ease of maintenance and tape cost but when you a/b it with the APR 24 your going to open up the window and chuck that thing out. Why not get that out of the picture and locking your DA78's and your daw should be a piece of cake. 78's like their DA88 predecessors are amazing at sync. Get a wc distribution box and your styling. If you want an analog deck get that APR24 and the right cable for it and have it chase everything else.
13th June 2007
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

Yep. But what you guys don't know is that I recorded on MS16's for several years when they were new. Quite a few tapes around here. Machine still sounds fine. Drums and cymbals sound great to me and yeah, there's a hell of a head bump on the low end. Sure, it isn't a MCI but that's life until the right one comes along. Tom will find me one eventually. When he does, I'll have him go through it, and head on down to Florida to pick it up.

Danny
14th June 2007
Old 14th June 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Yep. But what you guys don't know is that I recorded on MS16's for several years when they were new. Quite a few tapes around here. Machine still sounds fine. Drums and cymbals sound great to me and yeah, there's a hell of a head bump on the low end. Sure, it isn't a MCI but that's life until the right one comes along. Tom will find me one eventually. When he does, I'll have him go through it, and head on down to Florida to pick it up.

Danny
OK so transfer what you have to your daw and move on. The MS 16 is not magic analog recording
pianodano
5th July 2007
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

Success

I got it figured out.

The DAW is driving the Lynx via MTC (as hoped) and the lynx is translating the MTC to smpte. Tape recorder is chasing right along and locks faithfully. I've been using it all day and it works without fail. Very quick positioning and lock also. No other equipment at all is required . Once I made up the Microlynx to Elco 38 pin connector, I was on my way. I was very fortunate to discover the entire set of Timeline Microlynx cable engineering drawings on the net. If anyone else ever discovers this thread, the MS16 is not a listed transport so use the Tascam ATR60. It works perfectly.

And the best thing of all is that I can control the system tranports from either the Motif XS, the Tascam digital mixer or the Frontier tranzport. IS that cool or what ?

Danny
5th July 2007
Old 5th July 2007
Gear Guru

Sweet Danny!!! Congrats!
5th July 2007
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

You are truly the sync Jedi for working all this out. But I'm curious as to why you are even using tape. Couldn't you just use the converters in the tascam as ADA's for your DAW and not bother actually running the tape transport?

-R
pianodano
5th July 2007
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
You are truly the sync Jedi for working all this out. But I'm curious as to why you are even using tape. Couldn't you just use the converters in the tascam as ADA's for your DAW and not bother actually running the tape transport?

-R

Hi Rick,

Well yes, but funny you should ask. I do use the Tascam DM24 for the 24 in/out into the DAW. I will continue to use the puter for the sample libaries and editing and that boards TDIF direct for the DA78's.

Last night Mike and I (don't know if you remember our guitar player from back in the day) did some a/b tests with the parts running on the DAW and running on tape simultaneously. With the low end head bump and slight curve on the high end I'm thrilled with how good BFD drums sound when recorded on the machine. I suppose it's just dumb luck, the way it turned out after the heads where redone. I did a couple of weeks of alignment and graphs at 100 cycle intervals from 40 cycles to 20K so I would know just what I had and what to expect. Definitely not flat response but it is, very musical.

Anyway I seriously considered going to a HD system but I always have to do everything the hard way. Mike runs Pro tools and neither he or I are that fond of the midi handling in that system. So I committed to stay with Sonar for the sequencer/DAW.

With that said, I am just more comfortable with tape. And it really sounds good through the Toft although I am somewhat disapointed that I have to push the Toft channels hard to get levels up to what we would normally expect to print to tape. I still wonder about their stated +4 direct "unbalanced" outs.

Best,

Danny
pianodano
5th July 2007
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sweet Danny!!! Congrats!
Man, I really apreciate your encouragement along the way.

Seemed like quite a few just kept implying it wouldn't work. But it DOES and I am thrilled.

Now to come up with some kind of orderly setup list. The microLynx manual really leaves a lot to be desired as far as organization goes. Since you're familiar with the Lynx, do you know if the "Groups" can be save in a memory register ? Seems like it could since it's capable of recording keystrokes as a macro.

Thanks for your help

Danny
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search