BUSKING in Europe - making some money while on vacation
New Reply
Subscribe
quietdrive
8th June 2007
Old 8th June 2007
Lives for gear

BUSKING in Europe - making some money while on vacation

I'm gonna go to Europe this summer. I want to make some money while I am there busking on the streets. Which cities would be best? I was thinking about Barcelona, Rome, Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris and London.

Any recommendations? Or laws that I need to pay attention to?
8th June 2007
Old 8th June 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietdrive View Post
I'm gonna go to Europe this summer. I want to make some money while I am there busking on the streets. Which cities would be best? I was thinking about Barcelona, Rome, Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris and London.

Any recommendations? Or laws that I need to pay attention to?
Barcelona, along Las Ramblas

John
8th June 2007
Old 8th June 2007
Lives for gear

I busked in London at King's Cross station in 1994 with a friend of mine.

We made 1 pound 2p.

The 2p came from a school girl.

The pound came from a beggar. I think he was telling us to fukk off.

Which the cops did shortly afterwards.

Headed to Covent Gardens. Not a cent.

Those were the days.
8th June 2007
Old 8th June 2007

Send a message via Skype™ to toolskid
Yeah feel free to rock it in Europe

just dont do it in the uk

its the LEAST friendly place for buskers I've ever been!!

the wise man can pick up a grain of sand and envision the whole universe. The fool, however,
will just lie down on some seaweed and roll around until he's completely draped in it. Then he'll
stand up and go "Hey, I'm vine man"
8th June 2007
Old 8th June 2007
Lives for gear

I used to busk in Amsterdam. I think it's a great place especially if stoned ppl like your music. It'd be better if you have CDs to sell on the streets. But there're a lot of buskers there. you usually can't occupy a good spot for more than an hour.
8th June 2007
Old 8th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUGA View Post
I used to busk in Amsterdam. I think it's a great place especially if stoned ppl like your music. It'd be better if you have CDs to sell on the streets. But there're a lot of buskers there. you usually can't occupy a good spot for more than an hour.
Like your music man!
8th June 2007
Old 8th June 2007
Lives for gear

You WILL be arrested if you do this in England.
We dont like music in this country anymore

OK the public do- but you will still be arrested!
8th June 2007
Old 8th June 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUGA View Post
I'm curious.. how much do you make on average per hour, without selling CDs, in Amsterdam?
If you can make $10-20, that'd be better than being signed to a major label
8th June 2007
Old 8th June 2007
Lives for gear

It's been a while but I've done a fair bit of busking in my past. Here's what I know:
London's tough. On the underground you'll get moved along pretty quick before you get a chance to make a lot of money. One of the markets could be a better way to go. Bye laws could stump you though.

Copenhagen has a great pedestrian st (called Stroget) that can have a great busker scene on it. I've started playing there on my own to suddenly find myself amongst an impromptu band of diverse musicians. Great fun! You can make a lot on a sunny Saturday afternoon if you're good. No amplified instruments as far as I remember.

Barcelona is great like someone mentioned. La Ramblas is an amazing place to play but the competition can pretty hard. There are some very, very good acts there who make their living on street performing. Maybe look a little into the squares in the Barrio Gothic instead.

Paris is great if you get the right spot but again there is a lot of stiff competition as it too attracts the greatest in Europe.

If you get a chance to hop the water from Spain to Morrocco performing in the main square of Marrakesh, Djeema El Fnar, is something you'll never forget. Although I only made money in Essouira, a far smaller town on the coast.

Dublin is great as it's always busy, there's a decent pedestrian area, people are always up for good music. You can clean up on a good day. You'll also meet a lot of people. We're a friendly bunch.

If you're music doesn't naturally make the transition to the streets you should re-arrange things. I've always found that originals or well worked covers with a difference are what works best. Quietly strumming No Woman No Cry just ain't going to cut the mustard. Maybe I'm telling you something you already know but busking is a lot harder to do well than it may seem. It can be tough. It also changes how you sing. After my first summer of busking I went into the studio, as I was warming up the engineer called me in from the live room and asked me to record in the machine room, I asked why he said I was singing so loud that he reckoned all I would have to do is sing in the direction of the tape machine and it would record it. It took quite a while to undo that habit. I think it's a rite of passage every singer/songwriter/musician should go through. It's been part of the tradition of music longer multi track recording. There's a lot to learn from it and a whole lot of fun to be had. And did I mention the chicks?

8th June 2007
Old 8th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlersonic View Post
Like your music man!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker_ATL View Post
I'm curious.. how much do you make on average per hour, without selling CDs, in Amsterdam?
If you can make $10-20, that'd be better than being signed to a major label
I could make $15-30 at a right spot at right time. but there are only a couple of such spots so I only played 15-25 hours a week.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search