Garage Studio Design Ideas?
New Reply
Subscribe
dbbubba
6th June 2007
Old 6th June 2007
Banned

Garage Studio Design Ideas?

I have my MCI 538c pretty much operational and I am now thinking about the garage to studio conversion.
My wife has blessed the plan regardless if I want to use all of the space or only part of it.
THAT is a major hurdle!

I have a free space that is 25' x 23' if I use the whole room.
I can also leave the automatic closing grage door up and have a 15' x 23' space.

Does anyone have any plans?

I am not going to start building until late July.
(I want it over a hundred degrees like it gets here in Texas when I'm doing it!)

Truthfully, I have to travel out of town for three weeks.

I'M OPEN TO IDEAS!
If I do the 15' x 23' room I'd put up a wall back about 10' from the garage door.
That wall can easily be built where it isn't parallel to the oposite wall.
(I guess one in place of the actual garage door could be that way too.)
The smaller room leaves me storage space in the 10' x 23' area with the garage door.
I don't really want a studio and seperate control room (not enough space) but I would consider a booth of sorts.
It wouldn't have to be big enough for drums... just vocals and GTR OD stuff.

Brang on the ideas!

Also, I won't need to worry about heat with the MCI running.
That thing runs HOT!
It is a space heater on it's own!
6th June 2007
Old 6th June 2007
Gear maniac

6th June 2007
Old 6th June 2007
Lives for gear

+1 john sayers

also try

SAE (studio plans)

RealTraps - ModeCalc (mode calc = room node calculator)

im working on a 18 x 24 half/garage plan right now.. ill try to finish it up today and post it to ya.. (im no acoustical expert, but ive been researching and planning for a long time)

gl
6th June 2007
Old 6th June 2007
Gear Guru

Danny,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
Does anyone have any plans?
Yes, lookie here:

RealTraps - Maximum Studio

It was designed just for you.

--Ethan
7th June 2007
Old 7th June 2007
Banned

Ethan... that is a cool design.
It would fit into my space if I use only part of the garage, too.
I have been thinking about the one room idea all along, but if I build a decent control room I can always add a room into the un-used part of the garage later.

I am wondering two things:
NUMBER ONE: My console is 8'3" long and just a hair under 4' deep. The 10' short end of the room in your plan would make my console have to sit further back in the room. This would cause more un-used, dead space in the front of the room. Yes, I'd put power supplies and power amps up there, but it is still useless space.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO WIDEN THAT END OF THE ROOM TO 12' WITHOUT RUINING THE OVER-ALL SCHEME?The 15' longer end is perfect.
I guess I could scale those two walls longer w/o lengthening the side walls....?

NUMBER TWO: I would definitely want to cap the cieling to create a true room within a room. Since I would loose to much ceiling height if I tried to span the 15' with ceiling joists would you suggest hangers? Joists would have to be AT LEAST 2" x 6" s to span that distance and I can't loose the height I have. With treatment it could take away as much as 10" from the existing floor to cieling height.
I CAN'T DOWNLOAD THE ELEVATION PIC, SO COULD YOU ELABORATE ON THE CIELING A BIT? I understand the cloud.

WAIT!!!! The sheet rock can be on top of the joists, right? A bit of a hassle to build but why not? Fill the space between the joists with insulation and cover with cloth!

Hmmmmm.... not a bad plan.

I need the room to be isolated because although our neighborhood is out in the country where it is quiet, the whiney-ass neighbor's bedroom is about 75' from the space I'd use.
I don't really worry about sound leaking in... OUT is the problem.

Thanks for the ideas.
7th June 2007
Old 7th June 2007
Gear Guru

Danny,

Quote:
IS IT POSSIBLE TO WIDEN THAT END OF THE ROOM TO 12' WITHOUT RUINING THE OVER-ALL SCHEME?
Sure.

Quote:
I guess I could scale those two walls longer w/o lengthening the side walls....?
Yep.

Quote:
I CAN'T DOWNLOAD THE ELEVATION PIC, SO COULD YOU ELABORATE ON THE CIELING A BIT?
What's preventing you from downloading the image? Or just click the link and the large picture will appear, then you can print it.

Regardless, it's just a flat sheet rock ceiling with a cloud hanging underneath.

--Ethan
dbbubba
7th June 2007
Old 7th June 2007
Banned

I'm still about six weeks from building the actual room, butyour plan definitely looks do-able.

I have had the pleasure of working in some half decent control rooms over the years what with studios I have owned and places I have worked.
When I ran a commercial facilty I was able to "trade up" to better rooms when people would quit business or what-ever. I would keep an eye open and I got quite lucky with one room. I'd get that place back if I wanted to run a commercial facility.

This go 'round I am setting up the room for me and I don't really anticipate outside people coming over.
On the other hand, I do want it to sound decent!
I will be mixing projects for people and doing my own work.

When I get closer to the actual construction phase I will get in contact with you.

Thanks for the input!
7th June 2007
Old 7th June 2007
Lives for gear

if youre still interested in an additional booth design... theres been a couple posted on this thread..
room design - the dilemma!

gl
7th June 2007
Old 7th June 2007
Lives for gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search