New Reply
Subscribe
Nu-tra
21st May 2007
Old 21st May 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Pendulium Audio or neve 5012

What would make better match for a whole mix off of a folcrom?
Nu-tra
21st May 2007
Old 21st May 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Shazaam!
21st May 2007
Old 21st May 2007
Gear maniac

Get both !

You got the Folcrom to have the option of changing the amp stage, so go get them both....and then save up for an API...and then...and then...
<Judge-Mental> kill me
Nu-tra
21st May 2007
Old 21st May 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Thanks for responding.

haha I wish I could afford both. I currently have 8 channels of seventh circle A12's which are 312 esque. I didn't dig them for summing. I tried the pacifica and didn't dig it on a full mix. The sytek I had was the best out of them for the linearity of it. I just want to add another two channels that can handle the fidelity of a whole mix without making things muddy or less hifi.
22nd May 2007
Old 22nd May 2007
Lives for gear

I think Bang likes the portico with his folcrom (I could be mistaken). I have a 5012, and I like it, though I have a feeling in that position it would be a little cloudy. I don't think its fast enough, but thats just me.
22nd May 2007
Old 22nd May 2007
Lives for gear

clean tube stuff as pendulum might be cool.
Nu-tra
22nd May 2007
Old 22nd May 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Thanks

I've tried looking for threads on this but the threads were all old with no pres mentioned more like I A/B'ed ITB vs. OTB with the folcrom.
22nd May 2007
Old 22nd May 2007
Lives for gear

It is not with a folcrom, but with a DIY passive summing box, and I really dig the phoenix audio DRS-2. I have compared it to 1969, 2-610 and MWS.
But you know, it is just a matter of taste, try to test some yourself and find the one you like the most.
24th May 2007
Old 24th May 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Thanks! Any other testimonials?
24th May 2007
Old 24th May 2007
Lives for gear

Full disclosure, I have a close relationship with Greg Gualtieri.

I own a Pendulum Audio Quartet, and have extensively tested the Mercenary version.
Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a chance to test the portico series but I've heard from multiple sources that they are only decent. And as with most of these questions, it all depends.
When I did a comparison to between the Quartet and a 9098 EQ, the pendulum won hands down. (no eq no compression) I think you get a more soulful mid range and a more focused bottom end. Between his suggestion of lawson and His own gear, Greg has really taught me that brand is nothing, even in audio.

In the pragmatic department, I'm not a fan of voodoo buttons like "silk" or "Enhance" or "glow" or "sheen" .
Nu-tra
24th May 2007
Old 24th May 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Yeah I just want something that will take my mix and enhance it. I listen to a lot of stuff from the late 70's. I really want my record to have a Devo- "Duty Now for the Future" vibe. That was a Ken Scott production.
25th May 2007
Old 25th May 2007
Lives for gear

There are a lot of different opinions on what to use for makeup gain, just as there are for any other mike preamp applications. Some people like lots of coloration, some people don't. There seems to be a fairly large group of Folcrom users who find what you seem to have found: On the 2-Mix, a little coloration goes a long way. I know Nathan from Atlas said the same thing - he expected to like API on the Folcrom, but didn't like them as much as (I don't remember what - something a bit cleaner). Maybe the Syteks will be TOO clean sometimes, or maybe not. But it sounds like you're looking for something kind of in-between. I would probably steer you toward an original Great River, which is really hard to find lately, or a John Hardy. Since you've already got the 7th Circle thing going on, maybe you'd like to try out a pair of their Jensen 990 type kits - that's pretty close to the Hardy, at least in concept. The Hardy stuff is built really well, so it'll take some keen assembly skill to get something in the same ballpark. Anyway, those are my suggestions. In general, I'm pointing you toward something with really robust transformers and a very clean amplifier. If it turns out I'm wrong about what you'd like, at least you'll be stuck with some nice preamps to use on other things.
I don't have a whole lot of experience with Pendulum products beyond playing with them at the trade shows and talking to the designer, but I have to say I've always been very impressed and Greg is a really smart guy, and highly skilled designer. I'd be very surprised if anything he built wasn't brilliant. I also would feel good about sending money his way. So if I stick to your subject line my vote would be for the Pendulum.

Put a bottle of juice in your Lunchbox.
25th May 2007
Old 25th May 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Yeah I just want something that will take my mix and enhance it. I listen to a lot of stuff from the late 70's. I really want my record to have a Devo- "Duty Now for the Future" vibe. That was a Ken Scott production.
No mic pre will do what you want.

Be it Neve, API, Trident or SSL.

These things have to be inherent in the production itself and brought together in the mix.

Not the other way around and definitely not at the very end.
Nu-tra
25th May 2007
Old 25th May 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I hear ya on that. I will never be able to recreate that sound. So do you have any suggestions . I don't want to get rid of my folcrom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
No mic pre will do what you want.

Be it Neve, API, Trident or SSL.

These things have to be inherent in the production itself and brought together in the mix.

Not the other way around and definitely not at the very end.
25th May 2007
Old 25th May 2007
Gear addict

I've got an OCL-2 on the stereo buss. I'm not driving it hard, but it doesn't seem very colored to me. It's nice, big, and open.

5012 is very articulate and rich; it MIGHT be what you're looking for, in terms of adding a sort of '70s richness, particularly if you use the silk button (although that might be too much). I think you're gonna need to audition. Good luck -E
Nu-tra
26th May 2007
Old 26th May 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I think I'm going to audition we'll see how it goes.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search