Compression and Pro-tools Question?
New Reply
Subscribe
KeMiKaL
5th May 2007
Old 5th May 2007
Gear maniac

Compression and Pro-tools Question?

1. When compressing vocals, is it common to hit up 20 db of reduction but steadily staying at 10 dB, 12dB.

2. In Pro-Tools LE 7.2 how could I automate lets say.... a peak curve that sweeps from 5K to 15K at a certain point in time in my session or even say low pass filter for that matter???

Thanx In Advance,
Espee
espee
5th May 2007
Old 5th May 2007
Gear nut

PROTOOLS

When compressing vocals, is it common to hit up 20 db of reduction but steadily staying at 10 dB, 12dB.

In my opinion it seems to be a bit high but if it sounds good it sounds good.

2. In Pro-Tools LE 7.2 how could I automate lets say.... a peak curve that sweeps from 5K to 15K at a certain point in time in my session or even say low pass filter for that matter???

I think what you need to do is go to the automate in the plug in and add what needs to be automated.
Then go to the inserts on the side track and where the vol,pan,ect..is and select the eq,then just automate like you would anything else.

Hope this helps
KeMiKaL
6th May 2007
Old 6th May 2007
Gear maniac

still not understanding...... I select the Frequency knob that I want to automate (i know that much) but how do you like tell it 2 to sweep from here to here at this time frame??? Do i have to record it and move the knob at the same time myself?
6th May 2007
Old 6th May 2007
Lives for gear

theres a tab on each and evefry plug called auto or automation or something like that. Click on this it will then show you all the bits that can be automated such as lpf/hpf etc. select the elements you want to automate and add to the right hand column, click ok. These elements are now automatable. You can either draw your automation in as you would volume or pan data or record it in in real time using either latch,touch or write mode.
6th May 2007
Old 6th May 2007
Gear nut

protools

KeMiKaL,

Like the post above said theres a auto button in every plug in,at the top of it.
Press it,when it opens theres a list of options on the left. Select what you need to automate,you will see it on the right,then hit done.

Next go to the left side of your edit screen and you will see the vol,pan,ect...click and scrowl down till you see what you set to be automated.

Then there should be a line going across the track you selected the auto on,use the grabber tool and select the start and end points of the sweep.

By moving the points up and down youll see how it works and you should be able to get the hang of it from there.
KeMiKaL
6th May 2007
Old 6th May 2007
Gear maniac

u guys are geniuses... thanx for the tips

I need some critique on my mixdowns.... if u check out my site espee can someone listen to a couple tracks and tell me what they think of any track mixwise...

-Espee
6th May 2007
Old 6th May 2007
Lives for gear

Shortcut

And while you're at it you could try this shortcut for setting the automation window a bit faster:

1.- Hold ctrl + alt + command and click on the what you want to automate.

2.- Select "Enable automation for..."

3.- Hold ctrl + command (just by releasing the finger that's pressing "alt", right?) and click on the same thing that you want to automate.

Now when you go to the Edit window you'll have the automation on that channel ready to be changed.

Try it and let me know if I made myself clear, hope it helps.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search