ElectroVoice DS35 - any info?
Old 5th May 2007
Gear addict

ElectroVoice DS35 - any info?

Hi,

I'm a fan of many old EV mics, but I've never heard the DS35. I see it on a lot of mid-70s concert DVDs. According to the specs at Learning about Microphones it seems to have one almighty proximity boost, unlike many other classic EV mics.

Has anyone heard it? Is it good on live vocals? Studio?

Thanks for your insight...

Cheers,

Recky
Old 5th May 2007
Lives for gear

Not my 1st choice on vocals, but never bad...I really like it for a hi hat mic, sometimes a less refined acoustic, hundreds of choices if you get creative...

Check Electro-Voice DS35 for details and an example..
Old 7th June 2007
Gear interested

ds35's are hazardous

The Electro-Voice DS-35 is a hazard. Use of this microphone will make your hair fall out, and extended use may require you to use bifocals as well. If you have any of them, you should send them all to me for proper 'disposal.'

Seriously....Back in the 70's I worked for a sound company that ran mainly DS-35's and also the Shure SM-57's. It seemed the '57's only came out of the case on big jobs after we ran out of '35's.

They're still a favorite of mine. They're a viable choice anywhere you would consider a dynamic microphone, and also may work better than condensers in a lot of applications. Plus....they often sell pretty cheap!

Last edited by Frankenstudio; 7th June 2007 at 03:06 AM.. Reason: I forgot something...............
Old 17th February 2008
Lives for beer

Wooohooo!

Snagged a couple of these off ebay for less than $50 shipped. They were in fab condition, and were even apparently a matched pair (same serial #s). Gotta say I'm tickled to death with how they sound.
Old 17th February 2008
Gear maniac

Very cool microphone. I think they are about the same as the PL16 if i remember correctly.
Old 17th February 2008
Gear nut

Awesome mic.....I call that the "singing drummer" vocal mic for use if you want to keep the bleed of the drums out of that mic as much as possible - multitrack live recordings for example.....
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I recently used one, aimed at a fully cranked marshall from about 20 ft., across a very large room.
Two takes, panned L/R. Sounded huge!
And sat perfectly behind the close-mic'd solo.thumbsup
Old 19th January 2011
Gear interested

That's just great... One of my secret weapon, alternate VO microphones will now be three times as expensive. Just when I was thinking about getting another one. Thanks’ a lot you guys...
Hey if you can find one (or two) in good condition...Get them. If cheap enough, it’s a no brainer. If you're a home recording person, the DS35 is pretty good at limiting the amount of house noise that gets recorded. EV’s are different animals than Shure’s The 35 is a nice to have, different perspective, dynamic microphone….dino
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

Old 20th July 2011
Gear interested

Guys, been using the DS35 off-axis paired with a large-diaphragm-dynamic-that-shall-remain-nameless on-axis for guitar cabs and OMF'nG! Unbelievable. Fills in all the blanks seamlessly. Really draws out the character of the instrument and the cab at hand...gonna give 'er a run on some other sources to see what's what...love it!
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerieScott View Post
(...) paired with a large-diaphragm-dynamic-that-shall-remain-nameless (...)
But since it's the slut that maketh the gear, and not the other way 'round, you might as well tell us.
No-one else is gonna make it sound like you do, anyway.
Old 22nd July 2011
Gear addict

I really like the DS35. Haven't used it in a while, but I've always liked it on electric guitar, high hat (find it fairly shapeable), and an acoustic that doesn't eat up a mix.
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

A good example of the DS35's tone: George Carlin's "On Location" show from '77, taped by HBO (on Youtube).
A couple of minutes into the show, what looks like a Beyer M500 craps out and is replaced by a DS35.
Old 13th May 2014
Gear interested

can anyone speak to the differences between the DS35 and the RE16? they look quite similar and i seem to see each of them all over 70's live videos.
Old 13th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicerino View Post
can anyone speak to the differences between the DS35 and the RE16? they look quite similar and i seem to see each of them all over 70's live videos.
AFAIK, the DS35 is a standard cardioid, while the RE16 is a "Variable D" design, with reduced proximity effect (as witnessed by the additional vents along the shaft).
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search