AES to SPDIF adapter
rove
1st March 2004
Old 1st March 2004
Gear Head

AES to SPDIF adapter

Hi--
I am looking for a converter to go from AES/EBU to SPDIF and vice versa. Specifically this is for a friend who wants to integrate a Kurzweil Mangler (SPDIF) to a MOTU 896 (AES/EBU) digitally, so only 1 (stereo) connection each way is needed, preferably on the cheap. I am aware of the maudio CO3, just wondered if there was anything else people are using. Thanks for any help.
1st March 2004
Old 1st March 2004
Gear maniac

I just use a XLR to RCA adaptor cable most of the time...

But then this is the 'Between a rock & a harddisk place' section..
1st March 2004
Old 1st March 2004
Gear interested

Actually, there is a resistance variance between AES & SPDIF. Hosa makes patchcords that compensate for this. You could just use any old xlr to rca patchcord, but resistance differences could (I repeat could, not will) introduce some subtle distortions into the signal path.

I have a similar problem & this is what I have found through research.
1st March 2004
Old 1st March 2004
Lives for gear

Attached Thumbnails
AES to SPDIF adapter-impedancetransformers.gif  
rove
1st March 2004
Old 1st March 2004
Gear Head

Thanks for the input everyone. I also found that Hosa makes a little powered 2 way conversion box (CDL-313) for AES to SPDIF for about $75. I like the Canares, but they would require another adaptor or special cable to get from BNC to RCA.
Any other ideas welcome.
7th March 2004
Old 7th March 2004
Gear maniac

hi rove -you got a url for hosa? wanna interaface my ad/da's to my laptop
7th March 2004
Old 7th March 2004
Lives for gear

Here some more of these

Ruphus
rove
7th March 2004
Old 7th March 2004
Gear Head

Here is the link, my friend ended up gettting this adaptor from Alto Music, but I would think that anyone that carries hosa could get it.
hosa adaptor
7th March 2004
Old 7th March 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by rove
Here is the link, my friend ended up gettting this adaptor from Alto Music, but I would think that anyone that carries hosa could get it.
hosa adaptor
"Maximum 16 bit, 48KHZ".
8th March 2004
Old 8th March 2004
Lives for gear

Aardvark audio has some too... check on their page or with their dealers. They are an easy $70 solution. Proper impendence
and all...
13th March 2004
Old 13th March 2004
M-Audio's Co3 -

Select RCA S/PDIF, TOSlink Optical and AES/EBU in - All three are out at the same time. Plus SCMS control.

It's the coolest thing when you've got a DAT (AES/EBU), Converter (RCA S/PDIF) and interface (Optical TOSlink) that finally talk to each other... All the time...
31st March 2004
Old 31st March 2004
Gear interested

The KSP8 S/PDIF - AES output does not need any external impedance transformer to operate according to the AES and S/PDIF specifications. The output impedance is switched internally in the KSP8 when the output format is changed from AES to S/PDIF. So all that is required to run S/PDIF is to set the KSP8 output accordingly in the MASTER menu, and an XLR to RCA adapter cable.

But be careful! I blew up my EMAGIC AMT8 card's S/PDIF input because I had the KSP8 connected using the proper adapter cable, but the KSP8 was set to AES out. (as well as the impedance difference, AES also has higher levels).

jkjelec
31st March 2004
Old 31st March 2004
Lives for gear

How about AES to 1/4" analog line? Any convertors out there on the cheap?
27th April 2011
Old 27th April 2011
Gear nut

Hi!

I'm selling my POD XT Pro to get the new Line6 POD HD Desktop version.. I want to connect the new POD through S/PDIF to AES/EBU XLR into my MOTU HD192..

Is this my ticket? Mercenary Audio - Neutrik NADITBNC-FX Male XLR AES/EBU to BNC SPDIF Transformer
About 8 feet of cable.

Or will it be unstable, crackeling and stuff? Like everyone else I of course want the best possible audio quality. Is there anything else to consider?

Thanks!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search