Sequis Motherload or Amp Modeller?
Old 28th February 2004
KMR Audio

Sequis Motherload or Amp Modeller?

I'm trying to decide on a guitar amp solution for my personal studio. I've got a '69 Marshall head which I love the sound of, but cranking up in my flat isn't an option unless I want a visit from Environmental Health.

I'd been looking at the current range of amp modellers (Vox, Line 6 etc) until somebody told me about the Sequis Motherload (www.motherload.co.uk):

Has anybody used this or anything else similar with success?
Attached Thumbnails
Sequis Motherload or Amp Modeller?-motherload1big.jpg  
Old 28th February 2004
Gear maniac

motherload

If you do a search, there was some discussion about this unit a little while back. I have one on order; looking forwrd to trying it out! Anyone else?
Old 28th February 2004
KMR Audio

Whoops... thanks for the tip!

Old 28th February 2004
I am desperate to try one - a producer working in my studio has one and used it on a session there recently but I didnt do the session, however William did, and he's a Gearslut...

William?
Old 29th February 2004
Gear addict

I thought it was really cool. it worked both as a power soak and a speaker sim and (if i remember rightly) didn't need mains power (however might be wrong about this).

The producer i was working with had spent some time a/b'ing the motherload against several vintage speaker cabs (Marshall celestian green back was one i remember) and had created his own 'presets' of those cabs by finding a match with the parameters of the motherload and basically marking each pot. this meant that we had a good choice of vintage cab simulations to try on a specific head without having the real thing.

I also found that the motherload could produce very 'brilliant' sounds, for example making an electric gtr sound almost acoustic in timbre. this was kinda cool for adding gtr effects to track's that had the basic's done but needed something on top.

I thought the box was pretty cool. very comprehensive controls and sounds alot better than some speaker sims i have heard.

my only gripe maybe that at first glance and in the heat of the moment (having never had a go before) it seemed a little complex, but the producer i was working with was very comfortable with it.

hope this helps.

Will.
Old 29th February 2004
Lives for gear

Yes, William..??? Owning the Marshall SE-100 and a Palmer PDI-03 I am VERY curious to hear about the Motherload... I heard the demo from Motherload but it is not quite of a standard that it's possible to get any proper idea about the real life sound of it.

For the nerdy ones out there (which is probably roughly ALL OF YOU ): I did actually speak to the chap that makes the Motherload and was informed that they should be able to make a switchabe 8/16 Ohm version - which basically means that we can load our AC30's safely as well... That would certainly beat the SE-100 and the PDI-03 in terms of versatility. So now all that remains is the small issue of.... the sound of it...
Old 29th February 2004
Jam
Lives for gear

Oh look what you've done now I want one. Anyone know how much ?

Jam
Old 29th February 2004
Oh and they can do a mono (one channel) model!

Thanks Will & Preben

I REALLY WANT ONE!!!!

Its just a matter of finding the £££££££
Old 29th February 2004
Lives for gear

How much$?
Old 29th February 2004
Lives for gear

I have the single channel version and like it alot. The speaker simulation is very good as well as the attenuator. I just finished recording a death metal band using the motherload exclusively and the band said that they never had such a good guitar sound before. It's not quite a like the real thing but very close. It's very nice when you mix it with a miced speaker - run the motherload thru a Little Labs IPB into one channel of a Chandler TG-2 and the miced signal into the other channel and mix to taste.
I have a Pod Pro, a Sans Amp and the Hughes and Kettner Tubeman, but nothing comes close to the motherload. You can use your favorite amp with it and unlike a Pod you have the real feel of playing a tube amp. The signal doesn't have any ambience obviously and is a little fizzy in the higher frequency range, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little EQ tweaking during mixdown. The single channel version goes for £ 495 + Vat and the dual channel version costs £ 850 + Vat and has a built in headphone amplifier, too.
Old 29th February 2004
Lives for gear

great stuff cochino... how about a couple of sound bites..??
Pleeeeeeease..!!
Old 29th February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by preben
great stuff cochino... how about a couple of sound bites..??
Pleeeeeeease..!!
It's not mixed yet, but when it's done I'll post some files. Does anybody know of a place where I can upload sound files for free?
Old 29th February 2004
Lives for gear

that sounds great... I am REALLY looking forward to it. Would it be possible as an addition to the complete mix to add for instance two clips of soloed guitar - one via the Motherload and one recorded with a mike - it sounds like you've recorded some of the guitars in pairs..??

Unfortunately I don't know where to upload files but I'm sure some of the guys will know.
Old 1st March 2004
Lives for gear

Oh great. Now I 'need' one of those too.

When will the sluttiness end?
Old 1st March 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by preben
that sounds great... I am REALLY looking forward to it. Would it be possible as an addition to the complete mix to add for instance two clips of soloed guitar - one via the Motherload and one recorded with a mike - it sounds like you've recorded some of the guitars in pairs..??

Unfortunately I don't know where to upload files but I'm sure some of the guys will know.
With this band, I've used the motherload's direct signal only, but I will record some tracks like you mentioned - motherload only, motherload with microphone and microphone only. Just give me a little time to experiment a bit, because I don't have that unit very long yet.
Old 1st March 2004
Lives for gear

sure - no pressure - we're a million slutz just sat out here our sluttyness WANTING TO BUY..!!

But seriously: take your time - it's GREAT that you're prepared to go through the trouble and do it all
Old 1st March 2004
Lives for gear

I've emailed the company to see if they'd be interested in sending me a demo to evaluate, and I would provide them with some sound clips. We'll see what they say.
Old 5th April 2004
Jax
Lives for gear

A month later, where are you motherloader's at with this? Any more experiences to share?

I'd REALLY like to have something that does the Line 6's job far better. (and possibly get rid of an amp or two)
Old 13th April 2004
JTD
Gear interested

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search