Microtech Gefell M200 vs. Schoeps cmc6/mk4
New Reply
Subscribe
JP66
11th April 2007
Old 11th April 2007
Gear Head

Microtech Gefell M200 vs. Schoeps cmc6/mk4

anyone care to share their opinion on these two mics. I'm trying to decide which way to go, and wondered what my fellow slutz thought.
11th April 2007
Old 11th April 2007
Lives for gear

If you mean the Gefell M300 try a search of the Forum - I can rembember at least one shoot-out with WAV's posted and lots of pertinent discussion on both these mics.

In fact just have a look below where it says "Similar Threads"!

It's worth keeping in mind that the Schoeps are double the price of the Gefells.

· Use your real name - keep Gearslutz authoritative, accountable and courteous.
· Stop the superlatives madness - just say no to gear threads with the word 'best' in the title.
· Words or WAVs? The former are interesting, the latter are convincing.
· Author of the unofficial GEARSLUTZ APPLICATION FORM
11th April 2007
Old 11th April 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
If you mean the Gefell M300 try a search of the Forum - I can rembember at least one shoot-out with WAV's posted and lots of pertinent discussion on both these mics.

In fact just have a look below where it says "Similar Threads"!

It's worth keeping in mind that the Schoeps are double the price of the Gefells.
This is quite true but that doesnt mean the Gefell's are any less in quality. Both Gefell and Schoeps make great mics, different but not better than one another. I use both.
JP66
11th April 2007
Old 11th April 2007
Gear Head

I am considering the gefell sms2000 series not the m300. the m300 is a fixed cardiod capsule mic. the sm2000 series consists of the preamp body (mv200) and interchangeable capsules for cardiod(m20) hyper card (m21) and omni (m27). the m200 is gefells name for the mv200 body + m20 cap

http://www.gefell-mics.com/grp_3_prod_2.htm

I couldn't find much info here when I did a search, and I was wondering if anyone had direct experience with both the gefells and the schoeps and wanted to share their thoughts.
11th April 2007
Old 11th April 2007
Lives for gear

i have owned a pair of schoeps cmc64s, and found them to be an excellent main stereo pair when used in a stellar acoustic environment. however, i found them to be too boomy for my taste when used for close micing in a studio environment, so i eventually sold them, and replaced them with a pair of DPA 4011s, which are probably the quintessential SD mics, IMHO. if i were buying schoeps again today, i would likely opt for the mk41 cap, or perhaps the mk2.

the gefells are very strong mics, though with a different character than either schoeps or DPA. perhaps more transparent than the schoeps, but a tad more colored than the DPA. i would guess the bottom line will be decided based on what your applications are. do not overlook AKG C481s and senn mkh40s - both are wonderful alternatives also.
mds
11th April 2007
Old 11th April 2007
mds
Lives for gear

I have the m200s with the cardiod caps (I want the omnis!). They're just great mics. I've used them on sooooo many things: classical guitar, acoustic guitar, electric jazz guitar cabs, drum OHs, live main pairs, pianos, strings, etc. etc. Basically on anything and they're never disappointed.

They have a very smooth, rich sound with excellent off axis response. They're hard to place wrong, in my experience, which makes them very easy to use. The high end has a slight lift, but its much more natural than most SDC. They're dark in comparison to KM184s, C42s, and others of that ilk.

I'd like to have some Schoeps for the classic Schoeps sound, and DPAs are amazing in many situations, but my Gefells have never left me feeling like I could get more out of a mic. I do like C42s or KM84s in some rock/pop situations where I want more bite, but you could EQ that in to some extent...easier than EQing it out, IME.

Lemme know if you want to know anything else...these aren't super well known, but they should be...

Mike
11th April 2007
Old 11th April 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to NathanEldred
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
if i were buying schoeps again today, i would likely opt for the mk41 cap, or perhaps the mk2..

I think the MK4 S (low freq roll off) would be a better idea than the MK41, I never understood why hypercardioid would be a preference.
12th April 2007
Old 12th April 2007
Lives for gear

hi nathan - i am not generally a fan of hypers either, and have not enjoyed hyper caps from other panufacturers, including DPA. however, the mk41 schoeps seems a bit different beast in my limited experiences with that capsule. many tapers perefer hypers due to them not often being able to capture the best location for a stereo pair, and needing the extra reach of hypers when more distant from the stage. the two times i was able to use the mk41s, they were much more effective in the studio than my mk4 caps - cleaner, not as much proximity effect (as you could easily pull back a bit more) - just seemed to like them better for what i was doing. though, these days, i am finding that mic selection and preamp selection are not nearly as critical to me as i used to think they were - it is WAY more important to have a good performance in a nice sounding space - given that, i can generally capture a good recording with almost anything in my cabinet. these days, all iwant in a microphone is a flat response curve and as transparent as possible. lyn fuston's 3D mic CD is a perfect illustration of this - there is hardly $0.05 difference in any of the mics he tested, just minor differences, and certainly nothing that convinced me that mics make the diffrence between average and stellar tracks. good performance, good space, good ears to mix - most equipment nowadays seems to work just fine to me. i can almost do the same work with $100 mics and mackie preamps as i can with 4011s and HV3s. btw, i really like your website and store - you carry lots of wonderful gear - and i know we all appreciate your participation on these forums.
12th April 2007
Old 12th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP66 View Post
anyone care to share their opinion on these two mics. I'm trying to decide which way to go, and wondered what my fellow slutz thought.
I understand Microtech Gefell is discontinuing the SMS Series, which includes the M200 (modular body and matching capsules).
JP66
13th April 2007
Old 13th April 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I understand Microtech Gefell is discontinuing the SMS Series, which includes the M200 (modular body and matching capsules).
can you point me to any info to back this up. I'm not questioning you I'm just really curious if it's true. that would certainly weigh heavily on my decision. thanks
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

Can anyone else compare the m200 with Schoeps, or maybe just expound on the m200? that'd be great.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search