Mixing Board to Mbox
New Reply
Subscribe
nateparker584
8th April 2007
Old 8th April 2007
Gear interested

Mixing Board to Mbox

Hey all!! New to the forums...so forgive me if i have posted this in the wrong area Anyways iam one of the many home studio guru's out there. Im running Imac G5, Mbox, protools, reason, krk monitors, 2 neuman condensors, glyphs, ya know the usual. Anyways i recently came across a steal on a behringer pmx 3000 board. A friend of mine got it and used it once then was desperate for money and sold it to me for 99 bucks e. Now i know behringer isnt the best but for that price i figured why not. Anyways, im a pro on the computer, but lack in the knowledge of hookin the crap up lol. So i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to hook the board up through mbox. The board is powered and so are my monitors so i really dunno what to do. Any help would be much appreciated. TY
8th April 2007
Old 8th April 2007
Gear nut

Since that Behringer board is meant more for driving a PA (and since it's a Behringer) the specs for it don't list any balanced outputs, so you're gonna have to run unbalanced cables out from the "Main 1" or "Main 2" outputs on the board (not the jacks on the back, those supply power to speakers) into the preamps (In 1-2) on the MBox. If somehow the Behringer has balanced outputs, you could run them through the Inserts on the Mbox and avoid running the signal through two sets of pres. If you were running better pres on your board I'd say going through the inserts would be better, but really in this case you're probably no worse off running it through the MBox as well.

The monitors will still connect to the line out jacks on your MBox (using a 1/4" balanced TRS cable). DO NOT try and connect them to the speaker outputs on the powered mixer. If you did manage to convert the plug ends, you'd probably destroy your speakers. Besides, the Mbox will only output through its own line outs anyway.

With the other gear you've got, investing in some good pres would be a solid investment, though.
nateparker584
8th April 2007
Old 8th April 2007
Gear interested

Ty very much man. You definitely summed it all up for me
9th April 2007
Old 9th April 2007
Lives for gear

Apologies in advance, but gurus don't use iMacs, Mboxes, or Behringer gear. They just meditate and f**k the chicks attracted to their line. It has been well documented.

They get the girls' boyfriends to run the gear.

;-)
9th April 2007
Old 9th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
Apologies in advance, but gurus don't use iMacs, Mboxes, or Behringer gear. They just meditate and f**k the chicks attracted to their line. It has been well documented.

They get the girls' boyfriends to run the gear.

;-)

Wow.
9th April 2007
Old 9th April 2007
Lives for gear

Wow? Yeah, guess I've known too many people into gurus... just wordplay, no offense meant!

Lou
9th April 2007
Old 9th April 2007
Lives for gear

None taken...it just kind of came off like everyone who uses an iMac (like myself) considers themselves a "guru" and needs to recruit help from the boyfriends of the skanks they are humping....

Did I miss something?
nateparker584
9th April 2007
Old 9th April 2007
Gear interested

Sorry you got so weirded out by this post lou lol.
9th April 2007
Old 9th April 2007
Lives for gear

Not a problem. Just words.

<L>
9th April 2007
Old 9th April 2007
Lives for gear

Well, like I said there was no offense taken; that's just how it came off....I figured other it'd rub SOMEBODY the wrong way! lol...whether it'd be an imac user, mbox or behringer...who knows!
9th April 2007
Old 9th April 2007
Lives for gear

Ya know, I just hate it when threads get hijacked, and here I am doing it myself. I was playing on the word "guru" - which is someone who claims to have all the knowledge to get others to enlightenement - so it seemed inappropriate for someone to claim to be a guru when asking a basic question about using the wrong tool for the job (A PA powered mixer for recording? ONLY if it is cheap enough!) and a real guru would know what to do with it...

Anyway, Gabe answered the original question very well, so I hope nateparker584 is happy... sorry to hijack the thread...
nateparker584
11th April 2007
Old 11th April 2007
Gear interested

Ha no worries. And I cant believe nobody caught on to the sarcasm of my lil guru line lol.....anyways, hell i got that mixer cheap so figured id see if i could put it to use.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search