Login / Register

How to split a line level signal 1X2 without losing audio quality?
New Reply
Subscribe
23rd March 2007
Old 23rd March 2007
Lives for gear

How to split a line level signal 1X2 without losing audio quality?

Howdy! I have 16 direct outputs on my 16 channel mixer... one direct output per channel. Thing is, I need TWO direct outs per channel and the mixer has no other options, no insert points, etc. So, I will need to split each of my 16 direct outputs from 1 to 2.

I'd like some opinions here... what would be the BEST way to achieve this goal while not sacrificing any audio quality whatsoever? I have searched around and have not seen any pre-existing simple passive devices / units that will do what I need, at least not 16 channels in one box. I wonder if I can potentially build such a 16 channel splitter using a patchbay... I can solder very well, but I have very little knowledge of electronics, not sure what would be involved here in order to preserve optimum audio quality when splitting a line level signal... any fancy electronics needed or can I just take the lines and merely SPLIT them 1 to 2, in effect making a 16 chanel "Y jack"?

Any info much appreciated. Thank you.
23rd March 2007
Old 23rd March 2007
Lives for gear

redco mult box. you'd need to have your ous terminated to db25 to use it
24th March 2007
Old 24th March 2007
Lives for gear

You could use a series of simple Y splitters or you could use a patch bay to split the signals... either way.

When you split a signal you need to be aware of the impedance issues it may present. In most cases a split signal will not degrade the quality of an audio signal but you need to be aware of the output impedance of the split and the input impedance of the destination device.

This link provides a good explanation:

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/tech03.html
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search