Anyone hear anything done on a 003 yet?
New Reply
Subscribe
pbell
18th March 2007
Old 18th March 2007
Gear maniac

Anyone hear anything done on a 003 yet?

I'm really curious if anyone has heard anything done on it and what they thought of it. I've read all the posts about it and the little bit of dissapointment with it but I'm thinking of taking advantage of Digidesigns trade in offer they have going (cubase etc w/ an interface for a 003). I Simply just don't use the interface anymore and I'd like to have a PT rig at home with a few more channels than my MBOX2.

Thanks.

www.paulbellsounddesign.com
18th March 2007
Old 18th March 2007
Lives for gear

dont know about the the 003... Can't be anything spectacular though... What are you tracking at home?

If you are tracking drums and need more than 2 a/d... Then get some nice a/d...and 2 channels of nice d/a... Track into cubase, then mix in pt if that is what you are comfortable with... Get something like the benchmark and use the spdif on the mbox for monitoring.
pbell
18th March 2007
Old 18th March 2007
Gear maniac

What I'm Doing

I'm not doing anything incredibly fancy or anything for release (well not yet anyway). If I'm going to be doing that stuff I go to a studio. I'm using it to mostly track a few guitars maybe some vocals - just rough stuff for composing, might even use a little bit of out board gear on the additional channels. Since I'm having a difficult selling off some of my older gear I figured I might as well take advantage of this if I can. Also just really curious if anyone has heard it yet.
19th March 2007
Old 19th March 2007
Gear maniac

Yeah, listen to anything done on a DIGI 002.....
19th March 2007
Old 19th March 2007
Gear interested

Send a message via AIM to echurch86 Send a message via Yahoo to echurch86
i wonder if the pre's are as crappy as the 002's. Its kinda depressing how "high quality" pro-tools is supposed to be and there pre's sound like ass, Especially when they make the software dependable on the hardware. What a joke company
19th March 2007
Old 19th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by echurch86 View Post
i wonder if the pre's are as crappy as the 002's. Its kinda depressing how "high quality" pro-tools is supposed to be and there pre's sound like ass, Especially when they make the software dependable on the hardware. What a joke company

Here we go again......
19th March 2007
Old 19th March 2007
Gear maniac

I have a sneaky suspition that the 003 just implements the Black Lion mods, so the pre's are probably better, and the internal clock probably doesn't suck ass quite so much.

http://www.myspace.com/thefieldrecordingcompany
19th March 2007
Old 19th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Oh dear another one

Nic
19th March 2007
Old 19th March 2007
Gear addict

Digi rep was in town for a seminar with IK Multimedia, basically he stated
if you have a 002 you really dont need a 003. The pre's have 6db more headroom and the converters are improved, and there's the wordclock I/O on the back.
Other than that I got the impression its nearly the same.

I asked when he expected the 003 to be shipped and was told a few weeks...(that was a week ago). You can bet music stores will push the remaining 002r's out the door first..

Most of the time was spent talking about 7.3 and the fact that his PC died an hour before the seminar started. They loaded IK's mac powerbook and proceeded.

I wasnt impressed with the Digi rep's demo and sales pitch...I will say Derrick from IK saved the day.
20th March 2007
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
dont know about the the 003... Can't be anything spectacular though...
If you don't know about the 003, how do you know that they can't be anything spectacular?

For the record, I don't necessarily expect a night and day difference between the 002 and 003...I just think it's interesting how much so many people have to say about the quality of something they haven't heard yet...

-Duardo
20th March 2007
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Actually, if you were at all educated on the product, you would know you can actually totally bypass all the pres and converters if you choose too. i hate people that think they know things about a product and dont.

www.BeauMckeeRecordings.com
20th March 2007
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

Wow, this is already turning into an ugly thread. I'm giving this a bump because I would also like to hear something done using the 003 pres. I don't plan on switching to PT ever, really, but I'm interested in hearing how this thing sounds since I'm sure a lot of beginning mixers/engineers will be using it. I want to hear what I'm going to be up against.

For what Digi is selling, I can easily see why they would not invest much cash in the pres. They want to be able to sell 003s as cheap as possible so they can keep their margins high. Anyone who is truly serious about recording will not use those pres for very long anyway. For a beginner, they are adequate and I'm sure a seasoned pro could kick out a better-than-average mix on a 003 if they had to.

Surely someone has made a decent mix on one already.

So lets hear it. Upload some stuff if you've got it.
20th March 2007
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Actually, if you were at all educated on the product, you would know you can actually totally bypass all the pres and converters if you choose too. i hate people that think they know things about a product and dont.
No you can't. 18 I/O right? Can I use 18/O with my own converters and pres? No. I'm stuck with Digi converters on 8 channels and pres on 4 of those.

So maybe you could go read up on the product so you can stop hating yourself.
20th March 2007
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

Actually with the lightbridge you can bypass all 18 i/0s.

But then might as well go mpowered and get a full 32 i/o
20th March 2007
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post

Since when can you use the Lightbridge with LE/002?

And no, you can't get 32 I/O with m-powered.
20th March 2007
Old 20th March 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post

Well thats the trick isnt it? Getting 16 ADAT I/O out of LE...maybe 10 (8 ADAT 2 SPDIF), the next cheapest option is Mix|24 plus, core card, and a farm or two and adat bridge then AD/DA's. But you're stuck at version 6.4, 48K max, and still no ADC in TDM.

003 as Digi claims is an improved 002r...we all wished it was something more so the only true next best is an older used HD1 system (PCI). Prices are quite a bit lower than you think...but in my future I can see a Radar...no arguments over sound and I/O there..
20th March 2007
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to lozion
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
Since when can you use the Lightbridge with LE/002?

And no, you can't get 32 I/O with m-powered.
Stand corrected my friend.

M-Powered + Lightbridge= 32 i/O at 44.1khz with 7.3.1cs2

Cheers,
20th March 2007
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

I saw one at GC the other day and LOL @ the stupid looking knobs.
20th March 2007
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozion View Post
Stand corrected my friend.

M-Powered + Lightbridge= 32 i/O at 44.1khz with 7.3.1cs2

Cheers,
I'll continue to sit, thanks.

Quote from M-Audio's site, Lightbridge description:

"Pro Tools M-Powered currently supports a maximum of 18 simultaneous inputs and outputs."

Link: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...idge-main.html

Sure, you can connect 32 ins and outs to the Lightbridge, but thats useless if you can only use half at once.
20th March 2007
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll continue to sit, thanks.

Quote from M-Audio's site, Lightbridge description:

"Pro Tools M-Powered currently supports a maximum of 18 simultaneous inputs and outputs."

Link: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...idge-main.html

Sure, you can connect 32 ins and outs to the Lightbridge, but thats useless if you can only use half at once.
Time to stand I think.....

What if this new M-Audio supports PT M-Powered? 18 digital I/O at 96kHz

Scroll and check the pic.

http://www.myspace.com/sardisonics
20th March 2007
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

Wow. I guess I will stand after all.... and piss on my 002R.

I think I'll wait to see if Digi takes this one back and screws everyone out of this great news before I take the plunge into M-Powered. Which I probably will anyway since I'm starting to use Reaper a whole lot.
21st March 2007
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow. I guess I will stand after all.... and piss on my 002R.

I think I'll wait to see if Digi takes this one back and screws everyone out of this great news before I take the plunge into M-Powered. Which I probably will anyway since I'm starting to use Reaper a whole lot.

Wow, no need to be sour... there are threads to go hate on digidesign. Im actually excited about the new 003R for good reason. Its a great product for its price, and you can always expand on te quality of the recordings by external clocking or getting some real sexy preamps. Not to mention that i'll be getting producers pack with it for very little extra money.

But back to topic, i want to hear something through 003 pres!!
21st March 2007
Old 21st March 2007
Gear interested

I'm mostly curious how this stands up to a BLA modded 002. I haven't had the work done on my 002 yet, but i'm scheduled to soon. If it's in the ballpark, and upgrading to a 003 would be cheaper than getting a piece of gear that will be able to convert a spdif signal from the 002 to a wordclock that can go to my octane.....the 003 would be a way better choice I think.
21st March 2007
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Wow, no need to be sour... there are threads to go hate on digidesign. Im actually excited about the new 003R for good reason. Its a great product for its price, and you can always expand on te quality of the recordings by external clocking or getting some real sexy preamps. Not to mention that i'll be getting producers pack with it for very little extra money.

But back to topic, i want to hear something through 003 pres!!
You can use better pres and external clocking already with the 002. If you connect an external pre via SPDIF, you need to tell Pro Tools to clock from SPDIF. Same with ADAT. So already, wordclock isn't really all that necessary.

The new 003 pres MIGHT be interesting, but according to Digi they are not new designs, its simply an improved dynamic range.

Don't get me wrong, I like my 002R. Except for the inability to bypass the mic pres, and its limited I/O, which is a huge deal if you want to *gasp* mix with an actual mixer.
pbell
21st March 2007
Old 21st March 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I like my 002R. Except for the inability to bypass the mic pres, and its limited I/O, which is a huge deal if you want to *gasp* mix with an actual mixer.
I'd love to mix on a real mixer again! I was just doing an internship at a studio and my friend compared a mix he did on PT and one he did on an SSL9000 (Same song) and it was amazing how different they sounded. The SSL one was soo much wider.
21st March 2007
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The new 003 pres MIGHT be interesting, but according to Digi they are not new designs, its simply an improved dynamic range.
This is also FALSE. According to David Gibbons, Senior Director, Product Marketing, Digidesign:

Quote:
The I/O complement had to remain the same, so the differences in that area are relatively few. The biggest change is in audio quality. The mic pres were completely re-designed, and we upgraded their dynamic range by almost 6dB, and their distortion performance by almost an order of magnitude from 0.004% to 0.0007% (note the three zero’s after the period.)
It's nice to use links when making arguments about objective reality.
pbell
21st March 2007
Old 21st March 2007
Gear maniac

That clarifys a lot

Hey Peeder,

I think that article clears up alot of the air around the release of the 003, thanks for posting that.

Anybody HEARD it yet? I still want to know what it sounds like!

21st March 2007
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for gear

21st March 2007
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, guess I was wrong again. What with the attitude though?
People are defensive about the gear they buy because they're always thinking about its resale value. It's hard to control one of these "memes" when they start going around, so you try to stamp them out when you see them. Sorry if you took my post as curt, but you can understand the impatience at multiple verifiably false disparaging statements in a single thread, no?

The 003 is a dramatic improvement soncially over the 002, as far as specs go. Does it sound better? We'll soon find out. The racks are already shipping and the consoles will be out in a few weeks.
21st March 2007
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for gear

To be fair, I was wrong about two things. One of which I was only wrong about because I was going off of official documentation by the company in question, and nobody is completely sure whether or not this new "feature" is an error, seeing as Digi has gone out of their way to reiterate that LE and M-Powered are both meant to be limited to 18 I/O.

So get over yourself. Like you've never made a mistake.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search