CD Architect 5.0 now available
Old 17th October 2002
Gear interested

CD Architect 5.0 now available

Sonic Foundry finally has caught back up and released the new stand-alone version of CD Architect. The beta is available for free on their website. Downloading it also registers you for a HUGELY reduced price when the official version is released in about a month. This same offer, if you choose, will then be e-mailed to anyone who is signed up for such notifications regarding any other new/upgraded product offerings by them. And no, I don't work for them, but I have benefitted from GREATLY reduced prices on SF 5 & 6, Vegas 2 & Video 3, Acid 4 and others. You owe it to yourselves to check it out. And BTW, CD Arch 5.0 smokes. No more saving 44.1/16-bit versions of high res files, or doing various saved versions of masters. It does non-destructive (to your hi-res files themselves) hi quality sample & bit-rate conversions, as well as directx plug-in chains on the fly as it burns on your high speed drive. It will even crop & trim longer files and do many "editor" type things to your files. What this really means is more available disk space & time. I downloaded last night and filled it with 24/48 files hit burn & it made a killer cd in nothing flat. Check it out.
Old 29th October 2002
Gear interested

Did I read it right - CD Architect is also included with SF6? If so, I'll probably upgrade. 4.0 is getting a little long in the tooth... Steve
Old 1st November 2002
Gear interested

CD Arch 5.0 not included with SF 6.0

No, I'm sorry if my post seemed to say CD arch 5.0 is included in SF 6.0-it is not. It is a stand alone program. But if you are a registered user of SF 4.0 then you definitely owe it to yourself to upgrade to SF 6.0 regardless. In addition to lots of very useful included plug-ins in SF 6.0, the biggest reasons to upgrade are hi-resolution support, SF 4.0 is only 16-bit, but SF 6.0 is up to 64 bits(floating), and speed. In SF 4.0 (& 4.5 & 5.0) every time you execute a process the program makes a backup and then performs a destructive edit to the file, very time-consuming, especially with multiple edits, & undo's take just as long. SF 6.0 is non-destructive, essentially creating edit lists very quickly that you can see & hear the results of, but can undo almost instantaneously, finally rendering when you save, which BTW is much, much faster than in previous versions. Reclaim some of your time or just do more work, but is a WAY worthwhile upgrade, especially for registered owners. When I ordered mine when it first came out it was $179 for the upgrade (list $499) & it also included Noise Reduction 2.0 for free (previously that was $259 on mit's own I think). I don't know if it still is included or not. Check out their website for the details
Old 6th November 2002
Gear interested

Sorry if I wasn't clear on the source of that wishful thinking - I had thought I'd seen the inclusion of CD Arch. in a flyer directly from SF, but I found it and re-read it - no matter how many times I reread it, still no CD Arch - oh well...

For me, 6.0 would be a $150 upgrade, plus $99 for the NR upgrade - still might be worth it, since SF is easier for some projects than using Samplitude. Probably kinda depends on whether Samp gets going on support for newer burners, at least for me...

Thanks for the clarification - if I were going to be using SF a lot in the future, 6.0 would be a no-brainer... Steve
Old 6th November 2002
Can anyone spell out what is so cool about this for someone using Mac?

Thanks in advance

Old 6th November 2002
Gear interested

Yeah, you can either run SF using Soft Windows or Virtual PC, or you can ignore the whole thing... :=) Steve

(re-thinking question here) Jules, I first took your question to mean, "why would a mac person care", or similar - if you indeed meant, "please explain the coolness of this to a predominantly mac person who isn't familiar with PC applications", then sorry for the flip answer.

If the latter was your intended meaning, then here's a bit of history -

Sound forge used to put out a top-notch CD burning app called CD Architect, primarily for use with their 2-track editing software. I have an old copy that came with a Layla sound card. Somewhere along the line, SF decided to drop CD Architect. Not many users agreed with that decision. Apparently SF finally got the message and brought it back, with improvements. Yea...

As to the improvements in Sound Forge, which is a 2-track digital editor - Those were touched on in the earlier posts - the main thing is faster working, non-destructive editing, and higher resolution available. With proper plugs, SF 6.0 should be a mastering quality app (debatable by probably all people who own step-adjustable passive EQ's and $50k speaker systems) - at least, that's my impression of the changes so far - when I finally get my studio back to some semblance of functionality in about a year, I intend to do some exhaustive testing between Samplitude 7 and Sound Forge - realizing that SF is only two tracks, the tests will be limited to functions that both are capable of, as in 2-track stuff.

Was one of my answers even close to what your original question asked? didn't think so... Steve
Old 12th November 2002
Gear interested

SF 6.0 is offered as a bundle w/CD Arch 5.0

Sorry if I came off sounding like I really knew what I was talking about ( but didn't). Yes, indeed the bundle of SF 6.0 is being offered with what is essentially a free CD Arch 5 ( I just received the aforementioned flyer as well). It will appeal primarily to those who are not already listed in Sonic Foundry's reduced price program by being previously registered owners. I already have SF 6.0 and Noise Reduction 2.0, so it won't matter, however I am in line as a beta user of CD Arch 5.0 for a reduced price for ownership. And Sound Forge 6.0 is an excellent, fast way to do all your mono & 2-tack editing & mastering. I think you can download functional time-limited versions from their website to see if it (they) work for you.
Old 26th November 2002
Gear Head

I really liked CD Arch (it came in 4.0) - it gave you the ability to sequence your tracks and determine gaps between tracks and all the PPQ points (even in the middle of a track for those into concept albums with no gaps) It has a volume line so you can change volume in the middle of a track or pull down an intro etc. It will then create an CD Image File that you can burn future copies from. Great program for home mastering (or even pro mastering??)

cheers
john
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search