Login / Register

Neumann UM57 ? ?? under rated or shitty?
New Reply
Subscribe
Chuck B
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Gear maniac

Neumann UM57 ? ?? under rated or shitty?

i just saw a couple of these on vintage kings site and they claim that it has a similar sound to a 47. is this true? I thought it was really weird that i couldn't find one reference to the 57 on this whole site. I could have missed it though, there were a lot of posts that used the words "Neumann" and "57"( as in SM57).

everyone wants 47's, 67's and 87's....I get the feeling that this mic is the dim witted middle child in a family of geniuses. neumann's site doesn't even mention it!

ITB vs Analog

"The two environments are so different that I have stopped trying to make them work or sound the same. I trust my instinct and my ability to make something sound pleasing ( very subjective here !!) and move forward."
Kevin Killen
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Lives for gear

There's been at least one whole thread about them here in the past (here) but the link doesn't seem to work!!! I don't think everybody was exactly in love with the mic. They seem very cheap as vintage Neumanns go. FWIW the Microtech Gefell UM75 limited edition mic is a replica of the UM57, so that might help you with your searching.
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Lives for gear

There is similar thread going on on PSW ( PSW Recording Forums: Klaus Heyne's Mic Lab => UM57 VS U47 ). I've written my part there, so I'm not going to write it here .

In short, UM57 (and UM75 too) is a good mic on a bass diet. It is good or bad, depending on what are you recording. On the other side CMV563+M7 is off the diet and pretty full sounding member of Gefell family.
tsd
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
tsd
Gear maniac

neumann 57's...

they make good room mics... wouldnt use on a vocal.
Chuck B
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Gear maniac

thanks for the answers. I don't know why i didn't head straight to klaus's forum, duh.

thanks
chuck
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to NathanEldred
I think it's a great mic for vocals in the right situation (I own a vintage UM57, not the reissue, but I've heard the reissue and it sounds great also). It's not as big sounding as a U47, but it's got some of the same softness through the midrange. The classic proximity of the U47 isn't there and the UM57 might even be a bit darker in the high mids (going from memory here).
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Gear Head

For female voices, I think the UM57 (or at least the one I have) is absolute killer. Larger than life, flattering and very natural at the same time, velvet highs (not too much of it) and very easy to mix. It could be that my one sounds different as it has an ECC81 tube insteade of an EC92 in it.

For male voices, though, I prefer most of the time the CMV563, it has a more compact forward-sounding midrange.
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Gear Head

I am absolutely in love with my UM57. BLows my 67 away. When I sing through it (tenor) I have to control myself not to cream in my pants.
Maybe it is just the one I have.
Good luck!
Mario
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Lives for gear

Not sure if it is underrated, but it is definitely not shitty....though I prefer the cmv563 with m7 over the um57....

A u47 is a diff. piece of cake....

And by the way :the fact that the Neumann website doesnt mention it is because these are east german mics.

Although IMO the microtech gefell plant has more "Neumann" in it than the Sennheiser company that owns the name Neumann today....

The Neumann site completely ignores the East Neumanns....

More info on the Neumann history on the Gefell site Gefell - the original hand-made German microphone

nickoosterhuis.com

nickoosterhuis.com
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Gear maniac

I've had great results with the UM57 on flute.
Ben
25th June 2007
Old 25th June 2007
Gear nut

I've a um57 with a replaced m7 from the gefell factory and it's a fantastic vocal microphone, oh yes
25th June 2007
Old 25th June 2007
Lives for gear

i often mix a singer who has a 57 and i am always really pleased with his tracks. they need very little help. he's got a huge bari vox and the mic handles it beautifully. i doubt i'd trade it for my 67 but it's an excellent mic, and quite a bit cheaper.
on another note, it's not a u47.
david
8th May 2011
Old 8th May 2011
Gear addict

um57 workin great on rock vocals over here... soooo smooth
8th May 2011
Old 8th May 2011
Gear maniac

from what i understand, um57's don't sound so stellar unless they have a simple mod done to them. if they have the mod, they open up and sound more "neumann like". i have 2 um57's and they sound great (i also have a u47 and 2 m269's). they don't sound as big or deep as my u47, but i like 'em. they're on my overheads right now. i have a buddy who has one and when he describes his, it sounds like he needs to have the mod done.

pete

pete min | petemin.com
20th April 2012
Old 20th April 2012
Gear nut

UM57 mod?

Hi Pete,
Are you able to provide the details of this mod?
Thanks!
Evan
26th November 2013
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Two years on....

....and no reply? I am guessing not. Shame - I just spotted one and this got me curious.

One I saw is not cheap enough just to take a punt though.
26th November 2013
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Well some of them are dogs. Mine (bought around 2002 if I remember correctly) had something wrong with transformer that resulted in some ugly midrange coloration. My tech guy changed it for xformer from another one (with bad capsule etc) and it's a different mic (smooth, open, nice). What remained though is general lightness in the bottom, which is probably the capsule. I like it this way though, it's usefull.
26th November 2013
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

It is every bit as much a Neumann as a U47 or a U67 as George Neumann and Company designed it, manufactured it and sold it. It is not like a 47 or 67 per se, but it has the "Neumann Sound". Much more so than almost any Neumann sold since Sennheiser took over the company.

"Microtech Gefell" is still a Neumann company. 'Neumann' is a Sennheiser company.
26th November 2013
Old 26th November 2013
Gear nut

East vs West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
It is every bit as much a Neumann as a U47 or a U67 ...
My understanding on this is that, whilst the UM57 is indeed based on the same technological developments and expertise of the G. Neumann Co. of the 30's & 40's etc (before being effectively split in two following WWII) it is also obvious that things were done somewhat differently in the eastern "Neumann" Company of the 50's and 60's etc, compared with the western "Neumann" co which went on to produce the U47, U67 etc..
(Certainly in terms of many design specifics, component choices & materials available, and specifics of manufacturing process). They also clearly share the same original M7 capsule design, and the basic format of a tube condenser mic is all there, of course.

I have two UM57 mic's and they are some of the best in my studio.

Whilst I agree that they are every bit as deserving to be seen as a part of the fascinating Neumann history (alongside the U47 and U67 etc) I think it is still significant to view the UM57 as really belonging in a slightly separate branch of the family tree.

And yes, there seems then to be the interesting question of "which company is *more Neumann* today?" !

I can appreciate the strong history behind today's "Microtech Gefell" company and I agree that this should be appreciated when looking to buy a current production mic, for sure! Reviews of their products seem to be at least as favourable as what current Neumann products get, maybe even more-so.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search