When the Bass Player has a distortion pedal
Benmrx
2nd March 2007
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

When the Bass Player has a distortion pedal

Anyone here have any tips/tricks for tracking and/or mixing a bass player that likes to use distortion pedals.

I know, I know..the whole "get it to sound good in the room first".

Do most of you just do 2 different passes? Normal clean bass first, then make a new track for any distorted parts? Maybe have him play the distorted parts with the clean tone, and then double the bass with the distortion on?

In mixing, would you usually seperate the low/hi end with LP/HP filters?

My usual go to bass chain is a 421 on the cab, and an MXL Bass DI pedal, both run through Quad 8 MM61 preamps. Usually both (but sometimes just the DI) go through a CAD CGM-2 Champ compressor....mainly cause my only other option for outboard compression is a Langevin DVC, which I love, but hate for bass.

Ideas?

BTW, the music is kinda proggy in a way, slightly post punk, lots of 7/8, drummer has a double kick, etc.
2nd March 2007
Old 2nd March 2007
Gear addict

My band just did this recently on one of our songs. I'd say just mic the distorted cabinet sound on one track and also have a 2nd track of clean DI, simultaneously.
Blend them to taste later or just have each separate track playing at certain parts of the song. It's flexible that way.
2nd March 2007
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Well on this last one we split the bass DI and sent one to a guitar amp and the other to a normal bass amp. Blend them together or not.
2nd March 2007
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

I 2nd these folks. The Big muff is really great at maintaining the low end that other pedals can rob from the tone. That being said using the amp for the growl and the direct for the 60hz seems to be an accepted method.
2nd March 2007
Old 2nd March 2007
Gear Guru

the title of this thread reminded me of the late 60's when album credits would read

"Bob Smith - vocals, bass, fuzz bass"

as if they were two different instruments.
3rd March 2007
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I love that route 66 pedal for bass. I also have a box called the agry troll that george tripps from the Way Huge Co. made about a year ago. It's crazy!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search