Best acoustic guitar for soloing
New Reply
Subscribe
Rednose
1st March 2007
Old 1st March 2007
Lives for gear

Best acoustic guitar for soloing

Hello, I'm about to get a new acoustic and I need something that is good for solos.
Something that sounds great in the studio with a mic, but also something I can plug in for live.
I have a fair amount of solos, so I would need a cutaway to get to the high frets.
I want to spend around $1000.00
Here are some links so you can hear what type of soloing I'm doing,
TIA!
http://supermercadorock.com/MATT/kin...01ifoundit.mp3
http://supermercadorock.com/MATT/kindasorta/05megan.mp3
http://supermercadorock.com/MATT/kin...06unklejoe.mp3
1st March 2007
Old 1st March 2007
Gear maniac

Personally I'd say that you should save a little more money and get a $1500 guitar. There is a difference between the sound in a $1000 and $1500 guitar. You'll have a hard time finding a really good guitar that sounds good with both live through the guitar jack and good in the studio with a microphone in front of it. But this is just my opinion, and I hope this helps.
1st March 2007
Old 1st March 2007
Lives for gear

i would save and get a Taylor
Rednose
2nd March 2007
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks guys!
I believe you when you say $1000.00 to $1500.00 makes a difference.
I can get a used Taylor, I think I'll opt for that, thanks!
2nd March 2007
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

I prefer Larrivee.
2nd March 2007
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Location: Farmingville (NOT FarmVille or Farmingdale!) Long Island
My Studio

Gibson! Try a songwriter. A bit more $ . . . maybe used. Can't go wrong w/ Takamine as well. (I've also been told Breedlove is the new one to check out . . . )

I always preferred the necks of ovations for live stuff but it'll sound like dookie w/ a mic . . .
2nd March 2007
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

As a lead player, I much prefer the Taylors for that.
2nd March 2007
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Location: Farmingville (NOT FarmVille or Farmingdale!) Long Island
My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
As a lead player, I much prefer the Taylors for that.
I gotta say my buddy just got a taylor for around a grand and the thing has had more problems than a pregnant cow and it is limited in the studio, it even "feels" cheap to me IMO. it is my only experience w/ taylors, so I'm sure there are a bunch of people who'll chime in w/ raving reviews, and maybe the more pricey ones are the way to go . . . It was my 1st impression . . .
2nd March 2007
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Garrison. G25 CE with Fishman prefix. Very nice direct and miked!
2nd March 2007
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Many people dislike Taylors because they are typically bright, but I think that's what makes them great for acoustic tracks that stand out in the mix. The 310 is a no-frills dreadnaught that records as well as any of my expensive axes ('48 J-45, Brazilian LoPrinzi LR-15, Collings D2H). I think the 2007 model is now called a DN. Both are well within your budget.

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

www.yellowdogstudios.com
2nd March 2007
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Not sure the Gibson idea is the best, although they can turn their hand to a lot of styles and definitely handle melodic fingerpicking, etc.

Larrivee, Taylor, Martin, some Takamines... Some of these are kinda real connoisseurs' guitars and you may or may not like the tone or feel of any one of them. Opinion also varies among the real connoisseurs.

I have a cheap Yamaha cedar-top guitar that I like for fingerpicking, especially now I think the wood has aged a little bit and the tone is just a tiny bit more rounded. A cedar soundboard generally makes for complex harmonics which can be very nice for melodic playing when there isn't too much going on in a mix. Cedar doesn't handle loud rhythm playing very well, though, so if you're going to be doing any of that then you'd probably be better off with a spruce-topped guitar. There are a few more variables (as ever) to be taken into account here, but never mind that for now.

Actually, if you would like a guitar that can handle good chunky rhythm playing as well as melodic solos or whatever, the Gibson idea would be a very good one. Takamine probably have plenty of guitars along those lines. I have a semi-acoustic EG523SC from those guys, which isn't at all bad if you like a zingy kind of tone. I'm guessing it was influenced by the spruce-top Gibson J-200 guitars such as Pete Townshend has been using for melodic solo stuff and chunky rhythm since the 60s.
Rednose
3rd March 2007
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks again for the responces!
My other guitar player just got a breedlove.
He likes it, it also has a built in tuner, kinda nice.
I know he paid about a grand for it.
He wants to sell me his taylor that is has a crack in the neck that has been fixed for cheap, real cheap.
I'll check it out, if I get a good enough deal, I can allways upgrade.
3rd March 2007
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear maniac

I am heavily into acoustic guitars and finding a good handbuilt beats most factory guitars (though some handbuilts can't hold a candle to a good factory guitar). It's all about finding the right builder. On the acoustic guitar forums Kronbauer guitars get a lot of good press and they start at $1750,- so if you're willing to spend 1500 then I suggest checking out this site:
http://www.kronbauerguitars.com/main.html

For reference. Here are some low-tech video recordings of my handbuilt Ryan:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=JazzInc
I get a lot of comments on my tone.
3rd March 2007
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose View Post
a crack in the neck that has been fixed for cheap, real cheap.
DANGER, WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!! tutt
3rd March 2007
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I've got a Taylor 914CE that was custom built for me. It was very pricey ($6k) but it's the finest acoustic guitar I've ever used and it sounds phenomenal on every track I've ever laid down with it. The 714CE is also a great instrument and much less expensive (you should be able to get one around $1700 or so).
High End Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
Recording/Music Production/Mixing

http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook for AudioLot's BIG DEAL Gear Specials, Morning Mix Tips, and more by clicking here
3rd March 2007
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

My faves for soloing are Martin's, Collings and the Tony Rice Santa Cruz in that order.
4th March 2007
Old 4th March 2007
Gear nut

I still think Larrivees are the best acou guit bargain for the $--at least until you get into the hand made guits. I would buy the best acou guit I could afford and worry about installing a pickup and electronics later.

Take the Taylor into a shop with a repair man and ask him if the neck is ok. Also ask him what the guit is worth. It may be a great deal.
4th March 2007
Old 4th March 2007
Gear maniac

i think bottom line is that the more money you're willing to invest in a guitar (whatever the brand), the better the results you're going to get in both the studio and on stage plugged in.
4th March 2007
Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
i think bottom line is that the more money you're willing to invest in a guitar (whatever the brand), the better the results you're going to get in both the studio and on stage plugged in.
Weeell, I don't know...
Finding the right guitar can be hard sometimes, and it's not always about money or similar preferences such as wood quality ASO.

It's about how you connect with it.
You could find 'your' vibe in a cheap guitar, or in a custom Collings/Taylor/brandX.
Or neither

I have to advocate for parlor guitars when it comes to solos.
My custom Larrivee 000-9 is my best experience so far. Not cheap though

ruudman

Noma Children Hospital Sokoto
4th March 2007
Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

Ruudman's right about connecting with the instrument. A friend of mine lusted after a Larrivee for months or even years. When he got one, he found it was just too sophisticated and delicate for the music he had in his heart. He sold it within a couple of weeks, I think. Guitars are varied at every price level and there are so many things that have to suit the player in order for a particular guitar to be the 'right' one. I would definitely not read too much into the name, although it's usually a good starting point if you know what you've liked in the past.
4th March 2007
Old 4th March 2007
Gear maniac

If I recall correctly, Taylor guitar construction for models under the 700 series use different bracing and less desirable woods. Above the 700 series the wood gets more exotic and there are a lot of cosmetic differences. While there are exceptions, you are probably going to have to look in the $2k range for a serious instrument. Remember that these are mostly made out of wood, once a living thing. Go play them. There are acoustics that I would consider "dogs" yet they still have $3k price tags. Even two guitars that are identical models can be drastically different characters.

Oh, and if you need easier access to the higher frets, you probably want one with a cut out.
4th March 2007
Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindx View Post
If I recall correctly, Taylor guitar construction for models under the 700 series use different bracing and less desirable woods. Above the 700 series the wood gets more exotic and there are a lot of cosmetic differences. While there are exceptions, you are probably going to have to look in the $2k range for a serious instrument. Remember that these are mostly made out of wood, once a living thing. Go play them. There are acoustics that I would consider "dogs" yet they still have $3k price tags. Even two guitars that are identical models can be drastically different characters.
This is all good advice, though I think they might have changed the model numbers a bit over the years. I have a Taylor 612-C from eight or nine years ago. Absolutely FANTASTIC guitar for strumming, picking, and lead work. The action is almost absurdly low, and yet there is still no buzz at any point, and I have done nothing to it but keep it humidified over the years. As playable as my Strat, and a big, big sound for such a small-bodied guitar. When I got it, I was comparing it with some similar-priced (c. $2000) Guild and Gibson jumbos, and this sweet little thing beat them both for quality and amount of sound.

High-end Taylors get a big thumbs-up from me.

"A melody is like a pretty girl. Who cares if it's the dumbest in the world? It's all about the way that it unfurls..." -MF
4th March 2007
Old 4th March 2007
has all the gear he needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman View Post
Weeell, I don't know...
Finding the right guitar can be hard sometimes, and it's not always about money or similar preferences such as wood quality ASO.
I'm using a Martin/Sigma these days.....cheap. My guitar tech picked it out of a dozen or so at the factory and it has unbelievable tone and sustain.
My '71 Martin sits in its case.
You never know where you might find a real player until you play a bunch of them and find one that speaks to you.

Leonard Scaper
6th March 2007
Old 6th March 2007
Gear interested

Send a message via AIM to ndnguyen
I think Alvarez has pretty great sound for both picking and strumming
6th March 2007
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

In your price range, Maton.
6th March 2007
Old 6th March 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joost View Post
I am heavily into acoustic guitars and finding a good handbuilt beats most factory guitars (though some handbuilts can't hold a candle to a good factory guitar). It's all about finding the right builder. On the acoustic guitar forums Kronbauer guitars get a lot of good press and they start at $1750,- so if you're willing to spend 1500 then I suggest checking out this site:
http://www.kronbauerguitars.com/main.html

For reference. Here are some low-tech video recordings of my handbuilt Ryan:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=JazzInc
I get a lot of comments on my tone.
Dito. David Gomes in Hawi HI builds a great guitar. Or about 500 other guys doing it for the love.
6th March 2007
Old 6th March 2007
Gear nut

I'd just like to say............
Love the tune, the guitar, the vocals, (reminded me right off the bat of Elvis Costello). Can't offer you too much in the way of guitar choice. I have a Guild D4 and a Martin DM. I prefer the Guild for solos and the Martin for strait strumming. Personally, I think you should be giving us advice.
Blue Bongo
6th March 2007
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

If you can afford a bit more, go with a Taylor, Martin or Gibson. If your budget is strict, try a Breedlove. I own one and have had great results soloing. If you get a Breedlove immediately try it out in a recording environment. They vary from guitar to guitar. I bought one, tried it out, and then took it back for another one. The second one I bought sounded much better.

For sure, your Taylor, Martin and Gibson will sound better. But if you have any engineering skills, paired with the right mics and pres, you can get great sounds out of Breedloves.

The Breedlove Atlas series is right at a grand.
C - 214.471.9563
kdeal@gcpro.com
http://www.gcpro.com/
6th March 2007
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
I've got a Taylor 914CE that was custom built for me. It was very pricey ($6k) but it's the finest acoustic guitar I've ever used and it sounds phenomenal on every track I've ever laid down with it.
hey, kittonian - care to share any tracks? i have a stock 914ce that i can't get to sound the way i think it should. lighter strings have helped a bit, maybe i need a better room (well i know i do) but if you have any suggestions i would be quite grateful!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search