How to get a snare to sound like this?
New Reply
Subscribe
gatekeeper
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Gear Head

How to get a snare to sound like this?

Obviously besides the drummer and drum etc etc, how do you get a snare to sound like either one of these samples. In this video, vinnie colauita on drums, he's using one of those beta shure mics, I mean nothing out of this world, but it sounds AWESOME!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBClHJ7xNzw

Check out the wack on that snare

There was one more type of snare sound I was looking for but can't find a decent sample at the moment.

-Chris Lord-Alge
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Gear addict

Did you see the trigger beside the mic. It's visible behind the Hi-Hat.

That should answer your question.

Michael
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

No offense, but I think the snare sounds like shit.
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Gear interested

sorry dude but i agree with el cochino.

proper cheesy sound, TRY SOMETHING NEW!!!!!
gatekeeper
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Gear Head

I guess audio is all a matter of taste, I love that sound, it's like dry and crisp and tight, I guess coming from a certain upbringing and being a drummer myself, listening to certain types of music. Well I guess you've answered the question triggered, shit, and I thought so magical eq was being done.
gatekeeper
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Gear Head

This guys is one of my heros. He does his own sound and stuff, I'm basically trying to get my drums to sound big and natural, and I know it's the drummer head, room etc etc, but I've seen weckl get good sounds back to back with the same setup using shure mics through a yamaha 01v. Some explain please.

check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIs1SxZ_CXY
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Gear maniac

Don´t like the snaresound, it´s awful.
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper View Post
This guys is one of my heros. He does his own sound and stuff, I'm basically trying to get my drums to sound big and natural, and I know it's the drummer head, room etc etc, but I've seen weckl get good sounds back to back with the same setup using shure mics through a yamaha 01v. Some explain please.

check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIs1SxZ_CXY
That was cool.

Dave Weckl is great also I like his drum sound on this video.

Michael
Vum
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Vum
Lives for gear

The snare is the secret. It's piccolo or pitched snare with a sample. The micing on it is almost irrelevent as even the most ludicrous amout of EQ/compression cannot take the character out of that snare.

A lot of drummers (now in their late 20's) bought these snares after bands like 311 made the sound more popular for those who weren't into mainstream sounds (of course now they're a joke, well, still a joke).

In any case this snare sounds like a Boss-Dr. Rythm 225 - and thus - should be erased and forgotten from our collective memory. So emotionless.

And I say this actually owning a Dave Weckl VHS.
JKL
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
JKL
Gear maniac

That backbeat sound from Vinnie & Dave is how they sound when they play. On the Vinnie vid, the pop you're hearing is his drum, and the triggered sound is the higher breaking/whooshing sound. I believe he/the band is actually playing to a sequence on that particular song. But believe me when I tell you that he doesn't need a trigger to get the snare to sound like that.
When I went to school many moons ago Vinnie did a clinic and then performed with his Karizma buddys (Mike Lanau KILLS!). He played the same set of drums all of us mere mortals performed on every day, and needless to say, he put us all to shame. I had a recording of that performance on cassette that came straight off the 4 track and it sounded like a record. I used to park myself just feet away from the Vinster on a weekly basis when he played out in the clubs, and it was a very educational/humbling experience.
But yeh, I like that snare sound as well, I love the pop/crack of it, and although you didn't want to hear this comment, it really is just the way the drum is hit that gets that particular sound. It's not an eq/comp thing, but you can certainly enhance the sound further with those tools. It's a matter of catching a bit of the rim with the stick at the proper consistent angle when it contacts the head. It helps also to have the drum tuned higher.
I know there are a lot of other snare sounds one hears that can be acheived with gadgetry, but the sound you're talking about (at least what I think you're talking about) comes mostly from the drum/player/technique end.
Sorry to ramble, but I play drums and it happens that both these guys have been heroes of mine for quite awhile.

Jon
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
I must agree, seems like a trigger, check on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkmaD...elated&search=

You can hear the sample when it's not even hitting the snare.
Looks like a mic clip to me. He's playing along with a drum machine track but it's not triggered by his snare. Check out the drum solo almost halfway through the clip. MIDI sequence is out and snare is au-natural.
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

why is that snare so appealing? cuz it's louder than anything else in the mix.

an usual culprit when anybody brings in a reference and say, "i want my inst to sound like THAT."

now how does one make everything louder and still be featured?
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
MonsterIsland.com

There's no trigger. There's a drum machine running.

The coolest aspect of the sound is the crack and air around it. About a minute in, he turns the beat around and you still hear the drum machin sample on 2 and 4. Then you can hear his acutal drum doesn't sound that great.

You can get what that sample adds by using a bottom mic anddsitortion on a room mic. Check pahse in blend it in.
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Jai guru deva om

I like the positioning of his drums though, neat how close he's able to get that third tom to the snare. I'm going to experiment with that...I've never achieved that kind of physical tightness with a kit!

War

23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

thats not a hard sound to get. its definitely not a trigger. just get a 14" somewhat deep metal snare and a thick snare head, and crank the crap out of it. i dont like the sound myself. try a ludwig acrolite or something.
Han
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Han
Lives for gear

This sound has a lot to do with the drummer, look how hard he hits it and it's all rimshots.

This snaresound gets boring after a short time though IMHO.
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
Gear interested

Thank you so much!
Now I know precisely what to refer to when I want to give instructions to the engineer about how I DONT want the snare sound!!!
pan
23rd February 2007
Old 23rd February 2007
pan
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to pan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
There's no trigger. There's a drum machine running.

The coolest aspect of the sound is the crack and air around it. About a minute in, he turns the beat around and you still hear the drum machin sample on 2 and 4. Then you can hear his acutal drum doesn't sound that great.
Yep, thats it!

Is that a recent performance? It sounds so dated and worn out
24th February 2007
Old 24th February 2007
Gear addict

Actually, I have a copy of that dvd and a lot of the snares used that day had that 'PAP" sound to it. His snare usually sounds a lot better. I'm not very happy with the overall sound of that dvd, let alone, the compression on youtube isnt of much help either.

That's sound you hear in the back is a drum machine or sampler.

24th February 2007
Old 24th February 2007
Gear Head

As someone mentioned its not a trigger but the backing track (you'd be surprised what isn't played live!)

If you want that THWACK as people have mentioned a) you need to tighten your snare up and dampen it and b) make sure you can play a consistent and tasty rimshot whilst grooving and hit the center of that snare whilst filling (a little note - its a helluva lot easier traditional grip to get a tasty rimshot).

On the subject of Vinnie - check out the song seven days by sting and listen - mind blowing stuff.

Oh and lastly - is that Ron Jeremy playing the keys??
gatekeeper
24th February 2007
Old 24th February 2007
Gear Head

hey all thanks for the responses, it seems that his playing is so in sync with the timing of the song, that with the loop playing in the background he hits the snare exaclty on 2 and 4 each and every time, even when he places the snare where it's syncopated he hits it right on the money, making it apear as if it was triggered. Very interesting indeed. Can anyone comment on Dave Weckls sound? I have posted a link in this thread earlier
24th February 2007
Old 24th February 2007
Gear Head

Dave Weckl's sound or playing?

His sound is very creative at times although i think he is slightly inconsistent - i've sen some dreadfull muck ups in some songs his played on.

He likes a lot of ghost notes- fills up the sound nicely - but again he is creative with his drumming but doesnt normally fit in creativly with a band.

very rudiment driven player - fusion being his main thing - but whilst he is top of his game there are a lot of better drummers than him.
24th February 2007
Old 24th February 2007
Gear Head

Oh and just quick your first question -

If you want the drums to sound big and natrual first andforemost you have to tune them propaly - not just alone but so the drums are in tune with each other.

Watch out for any rattle you might get from certain pitchs you may have to lossen a pair of lugs a fraction to combat that.

Coated skins on the top are a bigmust must as well as keeping the skin on the front of the bass drum (if you want a dead crisp bass take it of and whack as many muso's coats jumpers etc in there - i've collected a wardrobe almost over the years :D cheap clothes for poor drummers!)

if you can free mount the toms it will help them reverb natrually (mount them on the cymbal stands or a rack) if you check out some premier drums they have cool mounting systems

make sure your using a felt beater on the bass pedal (wooden if you want that clicky bass) and wood tips on the sticks (if you see plastic tips snap them and burn them)

make sure you have some good cymbal felts as you want those cymbals to ring nicely - felt top and bottom wing nut slightly loosened should do.

Hope this helps!
24th February 2007
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to jeronimo Send a message via AIM to jeronimo
want the snare to crack?
1. good drummer
2. good sticks
3. play with rimshots
4. good steel, aluminum 5"x5"/6"x5" snare with brand new single ply heads on top.
5. 57 on the right spot

that's pretty much to me.
in 7 short years recording/producing, I got the smack I wanted 3 or 4 times. 2 of those I was playing...
24th February 2007
Old 24th February 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmproduction View Post
Oh and lastly - is that Ron Jeremy playing the keys??
I was wondering, he seemed to be "hands free" for part of the clip.

He's playing the organ.

War
24th February 2007
Old 24th February 2007
Gear addict

yikes

yikes, that snare sound is aweful and its definitely a trigger or sample.
24th February 2007
Old 24th February 2007
MonsterIsland.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper View Post
hey all thanks for the responses, it seems that his playing is so in sync with the timing of the song, that with the loop playing in the background he hits the snare exaclty on 2 and 4 each and every time, even when he places the snare where it's syncopated he hits it right on the money, making it apear as if it was triggered. Very interesting indeed. Can anyone comment on Dave Weckls sound? I have posted a link in this thread earlier
Listen again a litte more carefully. He gets way way off from the drum machine in some spots.
24th February 2007
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

It looks like the older black ddrum triggers, probably triggering from a sample. If you notice they kick it off at the solo and then back on again for the meat of the song.
Cheesy eighties sound, yes but it fit the tune, and that's what matters.
Not to mention Caliuta is a MF behind the kit.
24th February 2007
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to cajonezzz Send a message via MSN to cajonezzz Send a message via Skype™ to cajonezzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymac View Post
yikes, that snare sound is aweful and its definitely a trigger or sample.
Another internet expert weighs in.

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search